Forums

Topic: Welcome/Introduction Thread

Posts 501 to 520 of 679

nessisonett

@Octane I’m picturing you at a desk with an essay to write and several empty cans of very cheap lager 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@N1ghtW1ng Welcome aboard, new friend! What subject are you gonna be studying?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@N1ghtW1ng It's fine. It'll be years before the PS5 gets enough big exclusives to be worth buying anyway, and you might well have the money for one by then.

Welcome to the forums.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

N1ghtW1ng

nessisonett wrote:

@N1ghtW1ng We’ve got a few mature students on my course and they do tend to work harder and get less bogged down by cheap pints at the student union. Good luck and welcome!

@nessisonett Thanks nessisonett. I agree with you about the older students. When I was completing my first degree about a decade ago, I remember the top performing student in our class was an older guy, who had previously studied before. It seems to be a pattern, which I hope holds true for me.

RogerRoger wrote:

@N1ghtW1ng Welcome aboard, new friend! What subject are you gonna be studying?

@RogerRoger I will be studying Data Science and Statistics. I have a Masters degree in Law, but Law hasn't worked out for me.

Ralizah wrote:

@N1gthW1ng It's fine. It'll be years before the PS5 gets enough big exclusives to be worth buying anyway, and you might well have the money for one by then.

Welcome to the forums.

@Ralizah You know, looking at the current PS5 landscape, there's nothing really jumping out at me in terms of games/exclusives that I feel I need to play right now. I think I will only be swayed once Gran Turismo 7 is released, and if it's considered the best game in the series.

In terms of money, where I live, the disc-drive PS5 is £585/$795 (Sony doesn't trade directly where I live, so there's intermediaries involved). I don't think it would be wise to purchase one while I am still a student.

Edited on by N1ghtW1ng

Performance > Resolution
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

PSN: Ra33z_19

Gremio108

@N1ghtW1ng Hello!

Every time I'm about to pull the trigger and buy a PS5, there's some calamity and I have to spend the money on something else. This time it was a £570 bill on my car! We'll keep representing the last gen together.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@N1ghtW1ng Welcome to forum, hope you have fun posting!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@N1ghtW1ng Sounds quite an interesting degree choice, and quite the change from Law! Hope you find the experience enjoyable, at any rate. I've got two degrees under my belt and doubt I'll ever use either of 'em again, but I still enjoyed earning them. Best of luck!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

N1ghtW1ng

@Gremio108

Hi there! I can totally relate to your experience. It seems that every time a new Sony console launches, I find myself not being in a healthy financial position to immediately purchase one upon launch. For the PS4, I waited until September 2015 to finally upgrade from my PS3, but man it was worth the wait.

@Keith_Zissou

Thank you for the welcome. I've already embraced the fact that I will still be part of the PS4 nightwatch for the next 4 years or so. The irony is, if I do manage to complete my studies, I probably won't even have the free time to actually game as much as I do now (as a student) once I start working again.

@JohnnyShoulder

Thanks, I will definitely try my best to be an active user!

@RogerRoger

It's a massive change for me, going from Law to a degree filled with mathematics and statistics. I actually had to go back to high school for about 18 months to improve on my initial mathematics grade/mark.

Which degrees did you earn and why do you doubt you'll ever use them? I know for myself, going forward, I will never even acknowledge the fact that I have 2 Law degrees, as I feel they're wasted experiences if I am honest with myself.

Performance > Resolution

RogerRoger

@N1ghtW1ng Blimey, that's even more of an impressive undertaking! Big respect!

I have a BA in Politics & History and an MSc in Emergency Management. The former was out of general interest and enthusiasm, the latter was personal professional development, but neither of them will help me now because I'm trying to become a writer.

But nothing's ever a total waste. I'm sure there were transferable skills and general life lessons you learnt from your pair of previous degrees that'll help you out going forward, even in moments that have nothing to do with further study or your career. And who knows what the future holds? You seem like a pretty adaptive person, so the more you know about stuff in general, the better, right?

Anyway, all of these Hallmark Channel sentiments aside, I'm sure you'll do great!

Making It So Since 1987

N1ghtW1ng

@RogerRoger

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm currently completing an online course, and I try my best to avoid Push Square while I work, as I get easily distracted.

Wow, massive respect for studying Politics and History. I've always assumed that those 2 topics must be quite deep and complex on a tertiary education level. I see we're in a similar position when it comes to the utility of our respective degrees regarding our future career/profession.

All the best on your quest to become a writer. May I ask, are you a fiction or non-fiction writer? Also, have you published any of your writing?

I think at this stage of my life, it's hard not to feel that what I had studied in the past was a waste. I guess it's difficult at times for me to accept that I need to go through that entire process (university) again, and this time it will be more challenging.

I think I will only realise and appreciate those transferable skills once I am back in the working world. Thank you for kind words, it's really helpful for me during this challenging portion of my life.

Performance > Resolution

RogerRoger

@N1ghtW1ng No apology necessary. Gotta keep your focus!

Thank you. They can certainly become deep subjects if you let them, yeah. The problem I ended up having with history is that, the further back you go, the more guesswork is involved and, in academic circles, it just becomes a bunch of people with competing theories arguing with one another, and nobody can prove who's right. It's fascinating, but also frustrating. I tried to keep my modules as modern as I could; stuff from the 20th Century tends to come with more evidence, and therefore more answers.

Fiction, for the most part. Not published yet. Lacking confidence. Will get there, I hope!

The challenges will be different for you as a mature student, for sure. Whether you find them tougher or not will depend on a lot of things, but I'm sure you'll rise to the occasion, based on the fact that you decided to hit the reset button to begin with; that must've taken some guts. I'm glad to have helped in some small way but honestly, I reckon you've got this. Hang in there!

Making It So Since 1987

robhr

Hello. My name is Rob. I enjoy writing, making music and photography.

I came here for help with a PS4 glitch but I think I may stick around.

robhr

sorteddan

hello @robhr
I hope you also enjoy gaming!

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

robhr

Thanks everybody.

@Keith_Zissou I'm mostly into RPGs and strategy games but I play a little bit of everything. My favourite series, if nostalgia counts, is Final Fantasy. Without nostalgia though I would have to say Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls.

robhr

RogerRoger

@robhr A little late to the welcome wagon, but...

Untitled

Making It So Since 1987

KilloWertz

@robhr Hi and welcome. Can't go wrong with those series. Oblivion and Mass Effect 2 are two of my all-time favorite games.

I could see @RogerRoger doing that at his computer just like Obi Wan there.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

RogerRoger

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic