Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 401 to 420 of 1,285

Nei

@FullbringIchigo I still don't have an opinion about the gameplay...It could be wonderful. I just don't want to look at this anymore XD

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

RogerRoger

@Ralizah You're absolutely right, people do rave about Among Thieves too much (at least, I think so). I do disagree with you that they've improved over time, though.

1. Drake's Deception
2. The Lost Legacy
3. Drake's Fortune
4. Golden Abyss
5. A Thief's End
6. Among Thieves

My usual yardstick for Uncharted enjoyment is the degree to which the storyline features Sully, which is probably why Among Thieves is the worst for me (although it's still bags of fun; this is a similar conversation to "What's your favourite chocolate bar?" when you just kinda fancy some chocolate). The anomaly of The Lost Legacy is because it's just so perfectly crafted, and the continual tweaking of Chloe's character from her less-than-stellar introduction in Among Thieves reaches a high point (although she's still not particularly nice to Nadine, it's at least semi-understandable). I'd adore another Uncharted adventure with her in the lead, teaming up with Nadine and Sully...

...and I'd kinda prefer it if it weren't developed by Naughty Dog, too. Just to keep us on-topic.

@Th3solution With respect, I chuckle when you say "50 hours" for The Nathan Drake Collection. I'd say it's probably more like 25 to 30, which you probably still don't have spare, but they're not overly-massive games and very easy to run through in a couple weekends.

@Feena There are some beautiful moments later on but, if the opening didn't grab you, I doubt you'll have your mind changed anytime soon. I'm sorry to hear.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Not sure if that is a such an unpopular opinion, especially as all three consoles were extremely popular!

Not sure if we will see thst any time again, all three consoles selling the numbers they did, even if it the PS3 took a while to get going.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Octane

@Ralizah Maybe... But that's how I think about it, and my opinion is the only one that counts, so in that case you're factually right

Octane

RogerRoger

@KratosMD No, I'd agree with you there. My PSone and PS2 were decent, but it was the PS3 that gave me the gaming bug and turned it from "something to kill the odd hour with" into "full-time hobby". Having also spent many a fun family gathering around a Wii, and having started the generation playing a friend's Xbox360 at university, most of my fondest gaming memories come from what you call the HD Generation. There were still licenced games being regularly made, and things were getting realistic enough to be truly cinematic, rather than simply a solid effort.

PS4 has been amazing but it hasn't been a universal success for everybody else, as you say, and the experiences are building on what the previous generation introduced, at least for me. It's also taken things that were a minor frustration on the PS3 (like multiplayer-only trophies and patch updates for unfinished releases) and made them normal, which I can't get behind.

Every generation has highlights, but the HD Generation has more of them.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

Last generation was brilliant. Not just on the consoles - and all three had a truly excellent spread of games - but on the PSP and DS too. So many great games and new franchises and great memories playing online. BioShock and Mass Effect were two of my favourite new series, alongside Gears of War and Portal.

My favourite generation is still the PS2/GameCube/Xbox one (sixth?). All three consoles had their own excellent libraries and development was still cheap enough that the AA-tier flourished and new ideas could be pursued. Although the PS2 was king, the Gamecube and Xbox had their own niches and filled them brilliantly.

Although many games are now mechanically better than before and have nicer image quality, as a whole gaming feels like it's lost a little bit of its lustre. Fewer big titles are coming out and companies like EA are spreading a rot throug the industry in their pursuit for neverending riches. Although I have played some amazing games such as Persona 5, few current gen games would actually rank on a list of my favourite games of all time.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

Last generation was easily my least favorite since I've been gaming (since the NES). The Wii played host to some good games, but too many shoehorned in obnoxious waggle controls, and the good stuff was buried under an ocean of shovelware. JRPG's almost died out, and what we only got a few good games in that genre (mainly on Wii and Xbox 360). Classic Japanese survival horror died. The Western AAA game model I loathed fully developed. Never owned a PS3, but its library was a huge step down from what came before and since.

Sixth gen was easily my favorite overall, even if none of those consoles were individually my favorites from their respective manufacturers.

Favorite systems overall from the current Big 3:
Sony: PS1
Nintendo: 3DS
Microsoft: Xbox 360

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

BranJ0

As a continuation of the Uncharted discussion: I've never found any of the Uncharted games nor the Last of Us to have that good a plot. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed the games, I love them, but I've never found any of their plots to be as good as everyone says they are. It's probably because, in terms of video games, I tend to prefer the writing of Japanese games; Nier: Automata, Persona 5 and the Ace Attorney series are the games that really stand out to me if I'm after a good story in my video games. I still love the cinematic nature of Naughty Dog's games, and I find the gameplay in them (with the exception of Drake's Fortune, which is pretty terrible in my opinion) to be really tight, but I never understand praises for their storylines.

BranJ0

Kidfried

@BranJ0 I think most people agree the plot not to be what makes these games great, but it's the characters that really carry them.

Best gens I find difficult to rank, because it depends on whether you rank if all consoles were more or less great, or if maybe some console is so amazing that it lifts up the entire gen.

For me:
1 SNES/Megadrive
2 PS2/GameCube/Xbox
3 PS4/Xbox1/WiiU/Switch

Last gen was fun, but it felt more of a transitional generation, to HD/online gaming/indie revival. Just like I feel N64/PS1 were great consoles, but the Gen after proved what was possible with 3D.

This is probably a very popular opinion though!

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Jaz007

If you start going backwardsc thts my list of best gens honestly. I think they get better every gen.

Jaz007

Th3solution

Playing Horizon Zero Dawn and this unpopular opinion occurred to me —
I don’t like dynamic day / night cycles in games. I know the attempt is for realism amd improve immersion and add variety to the setting, but unless the change to nighttime actually affects gameplay in a large way (ie affects stealth or the attributes of the character or enemies, etc) then I’d rather it just stay light all the time, please.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

DerMeister

As great as the games have been this gen, I can't help but agree with the above. In fact, the 7th gen is the only one where I've had all of the current systems at some point. (I got a Wii first, then my first PS3, which broke down and gave way to getting a hand-me-down 360 and also had both the DS and PSP). I'd also say the 6th gen was better as well. It felt like every had console something to offer back then and had a good amount of exclusive games. Nowadays, PlayStation has most of the games, Xbox has few, and Nintendo is kinda doing whatever. That's not bad, but it feels like they're oddly separate from the rest. Handheld gaming that's not on phones has also tanked quite a bit compared to a decade ago. This is definitely the weakest gen I've experienced personally, if we're talking gaming overall.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

FullbringIchigo

you know i agree with what most are saying here, the Last gen (and the one before) was better than this gen, don't get me wrong this Gen has been loads of fun but it has also seen the rise of lootboxes, half finished games that they just patch later and an over reliance of "live service" games

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Thrillho

FullbringIchigo wrote:

you know i agree with what most are saying here, the Last gen (and the one before) was better than this gen, don't get me wrong this Gen has been loads of fun but it has also seen the rise of lootboxes, half finished games that they just patch later and an over reliance of "live service" games

The other problem, for me, is that games keep getting bigger and bigger, and therefore also more expensive to make. As such, so many big games can be 100hr events which are often good fun but so draining. Indie games fill the shorter game niche a bit but something like Metal Gear Solid was this tightly packed story which could easily be done in 6-8hrs rather than the sprawl of MGS5.

Thrillho

Jaz007

Here’s another one. Games are too long now. It doesn’t need to be 40-120 hours to be worth it or good value. It’s the quality of the game and how it uses the time. Shorter more precise games are a good thing. The obsession with playtime now drives me crazy. Or if it’s needed, have an extra mode like a survival or a bloodly palace or something. A game being a good solid 10H is a selling point to me now. It’s good to have Persona 5 on occasion, but that should be the exception (and exceptional), not the rule.

Jaz007

Kidfried

@Thrillho To be honest, whether a game gets more expensive based on a longer gameplay, totally depends on the type of game.

Uncharted is very expensive to make, because of the set pieces and precise direction for each scene, and because scenes are not recycled.

But many other games don't nesecarily take more money to make. Open world fetch quests can take a lot of hours to play, but hardly cost anything to make. Collectibles are a really cheap way to lengthen your game as well.

Also, look at a game like Assassin's Creed. There's a limited number of mission types, because many missions are identical safe for a few differences, like more enemies or higher level enemies.

Compare MGSV Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. Phantom Pain is way longer than Zeroes, but was way cheaper to develop per hour, because they already had the engine in place, and many missions were alike.

Kidfried

FullbringIchigo

@Jaz007 i agree the longer the game is doesn't equal more value you can have a short game that offers just as much value as a long one

on a side note i don't think graphics matter that much either, for some reason people today equate good graphics to a good game but that just isn't true, a game doesn't have to look like it's real life in order to be good although i think that comes for a P.C gamer mentality as if you ask why most P.C gamers use a P.C over consoles the most common answer is "because the games look better", as for me i don't care if the P.C version of a game looks better than the console version because at the end of the day it's the same damn game, extra sparkles don't make the slightest difference

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Jaz007

@FullbringIchigo I agree somewhat with the graphics. I think it depends on the game as well. For example, Sucker Punch’s PS4 games have been using the beautiful graphics very well for the powers or the flowers and trees and stuff in GoT but a lot of the time they look pretty, but without specific point like that. Art style and graphics are also comptlely misunderstood. Artstyle is the style chosen (cel-shades, anime, realistic etc.) and graphics is the application of artstyle. Somehow people think realism isn’t an artstyle, but graphics. It’s wrong and makes no sense. For example, Persona 5 has amazing graphics. They suffer a little from the PS3 origins, but they’re still some of the best on the market, if not the best.
Uncharted 4 looked great, but I didn’t find myself wowed or anything. It had no particular use for how good it looked, as opposed to Sucker Punch making an integral part of the game.
That’s part of the reason people thought GoT looked better than The Last of Us 2.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

Nei

@Jaz007 Agreed. A beautiful art style is forever.

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic