Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,081 to 1,100 of 1,285

Jimmer-jammer

Uncharted 4 actually has the best, most well realized supernatural twist of the series.

Final Fantasy VIII has the best story of the franchise.

Final Fantasy XII has the best gameplay of the franchise.

The Evil Within 2 was better than Resident Evil VII.

Dark Souls II is the pinnacle of the series.

Prey is better than Dishonoured.

StarCraft is the most well balanced video game ever made.

I’m sure I’ll think of more. This was fun.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

nessisonett

@Jimmer-jammer Ooh, I do actually agree with the Uncharted 4 one and I can definitely understand an argument to be made about Final Fantasy XII as I loved it but that style of gameplay personally isn’t as fun to me as turn-based combat. Dark Souls 2 and Final Fantasy VIII however... they’re certainly brave opinions 😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Jimmer-jammer

A few more just sprung to my head

Mankind Divided is a better Deus Ex than Human Revolution.

P.T is hugely overrated and is actually just frustrating.

Death Stranding makes perfect sense.

Days Gone’s gameplay loop is brilliant, and it’s motorcycle handling is spot on.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Jimmer-jammer

@nessisonett Dark Souls 2 was my first Dark Souls so certainly that has something to do with it. 1 and 3 just didn’t captivate me the way 2 did. I have no answers haha

FFVIII is a story I’ve been unpacking for 20 years. The universe and characters just won’t leave my head. I’ve spent enough time trying to make sense of time compression that I should know how to compress the time it took to understand how to compress the time I spent trying to compress it...yeah, that’s about how much sense it makes. Still love it.

nessisonett

@Jimmer-jammer To be fair, it’s more the gameplay of FFVIII that I had issues with. I still can’t find the fun in the GF and Junctioning systems after trying far too many times to enjoy the game. The story is insane but it was fun enough until it started getting really really complicated!

Dark Souls 2 was my second Soulsborne after Dark Souls 1 and there are just too many gameplay mechanics that I really dislike. The map also felt a lot more linear, with routes that lead to end points instead of an interconnected world. I still have nightmares about that one room with all the knights in Iron Keep! I wouldn’t say it’s a terrible game, it just made a lot of decisions that I personally didn’t think much of, which might appeal more to somebody with different tastes.

Jimmer-jammer

@nessisonett yeah I beat FFVIII for the first time without even understanding the Junction and drawing system so it makes me think it wasn’t all that great a system. Going back now, it’s definitely not a strong point.

Bloodborne was technically my first Soulsborne and the scope and variety of Dark Souls II blew me away, though I’ve since settled on Bloodborne as my favourite one of these if we count it.

The gambit system in FFXII is my brain in absolute nirvana. There’s something about the minute control you have of your party based on percentages and the resulting reliability and predictability of your comrades that allow you to focus on the more dynamic issues at hand that just sent my brain into bliss mode once I grasped it; like drawing up a game plan you think will work, then having the agency to execute it so that it does work.

Thrillho

@nessisonett @Jimmer-jammer Junctioning was an interesting mechanic and worked okay. Drawing was a pain though and particularly if you didn't notice a unique GF that needed to be drawn from that one-off boss fight too.

I've never managed a complete second run of the game even though I really like it.

Thrillho

ShaiHulud

@Jimmer-jammer Agreed on Evil Within 2, that was a lot more enjoyable than RE7 which I didn't really expect. Reviews were very off on it.

Also, it's a fact that StarCraft is the most well balanced video game ever made, I don't see how that can be an unpopular opinion?

Sic semper tyrannis

Th3solution

@Jimmer-jammer I’m with you on the gambit system in FFXII. I’m not sure why, but my brain liked it too.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Jimmer-jammer

@Thrillho going back to it now, the draw system is just not fun. It’s weird and makes it feel like you need a guide. The last disc is essentially a giant boss rush that almost broke me a few times. I’ve only actually completed the game twice but played up to the last disc countless times. I just love the universe and characters so much, more than any other FF.

Thrillho

@Jimmer-jammer Triple Triad was pretty ace too. Especially when you unlocked the ability to turn cards into items.

Thrillho

Jimmer-jammer

@ShaiHulud yeah I felt The Evil Within 2 was totally underrated. It was a great sequel and nailed a lot of its design elements, which were a lot. It’s unique and had a grand story. Lots of variety in how you approach any situation and great use of environment in combat. It nailed survival horror for me with a cool technological spin.

As for Starcraft, that’s what I thought but in a recent discussion with some buddies, nobody agreed with me. Madness 🤪 I heard Tetris, Space Invaders, Half Life, Counter Strike...I admit it was a stretch to slide that one in there.

Jimmer-jammer

@Th3solution yeah it really felt like truly managing a party as a party leader, more so than usual for me. I’ve yet to play through Zodiac Age and I hear the job system is great so I can’t wait to do that.

Jimmer-jammer

@Thrillho triple triad was great and I’m surprised I haven’t seen FF do something like that again (to my knowledge). Oh, and the music of VIII is a cut above the rest, in my opinion of course. Liberi Fatali is still the most iconic FF theme to my ears.

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 I still need to play that, I really liked the first one despite the jank. I think it’s on PS Now so I’ll play it after I finish Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.

Jimmer-jammer

@kyleforrester87 I never hear anyone talk about it which really surprises me. I enjoyed the first one but I really feel Tango Gameworks pulled something pretty special off with the second one and it’s completely under the radar, at least in my circles. It’s a shame we’ll probably never see a third one.

Th3solution

@Jimmer-jammer @kyleforrester87 Does EW2 rely on having played the first game? If I’ve never played either can I jump straight to the second one?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic