Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,101 to 1,120 of 1,285

Jimmer-jammer

@Th3solution hmm...this is a bit of a tough one but I’m gonna say no, you can jump right into the second one. As a story and a game, it’s pretty standalone.

A huge part of the first game’s plot was spent slowly unraveling the mystery of ‘what in the world is going on here?’ It was more environmental, if you will. With the second one, that mystery is gone and it tells a much more personal story for Sebastian within that world. It does a good job of recapping the relevant beats from the first to enjoy the second.

There is a fairly large plot thread left hanging from the first game that isn’t even really addressed in the sequel, which kind of tells you how standalone they are.

It’s one of those situations where one simple sentence explains the entire mystery of the first game and sets up the world for the second one. If you really care about unraveling that mystery for yourself, play the first one.

My honest recommendation is to jump into the second one. It’s a better game in every way, and that mystery isn’t that special. They do something way more interesting with it in TEW2. Sorry for the ramble 😊

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Buizel

Jimmer-jammer wrote:

Uncharted 4 actually has the best, most well realized supernatural twist of the series.

What do you mean by this? I don't remember a supernatural twist?

At least 2'8".

Jimmer-jammer

@timleon it was a lot more grounded and nuanced but it was there. Without getting too spoilery, I would argue that the game makes a very good case for Avery’s treasure being cursed and for the gang, with Nate in particular, falling under that curse and the entire ensuing situation mirroring that of Henry Avery, Thomas Tew and the fate of Libertalia.

It was much more intertwined into the narrative which worked well with a more intimate, concluding story for me. Like Drake finally met his match, the flip side of his swashbuckling coin: Greed.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Buizel

@Jimmer-jammer That's an interesting interpretation. I had always assumed that the twist was not supernatural - it was just greed. Pirates are greedy by nature so it's not surprising that it was their downfall. Similarly, Rafe is motivated by greed. Sam's obsession with the treasure also makes sense in that he's dedicated his whole adult life to it - including spending many years in a prison. Nate, Elena, Sully, and Nadine, however, are all able to turn their backs on the treasure when things get rough.

That said, I do agree that it is the best twist. I think the simple fact that Naughty Dog were able to go with a more grounded story shows how they've developed as storytellers. I think Drake's Fortune in particular would have been a very forgettable story if not for the mind-controlling virus at the end.

At least 2'8".

Th3solution

@timleon Slightly unrelated (but also appropriate to be in this thread) comment — I’m loving your avatar. Tae Takemi is one of the most under-rated characters in Persona 5, imo. I just am smitten with her. I’d rank her in the top 3-4 romance options in the game. I know everyone’s popular opinion is Makoto, and I do like her too, but I am partial to Ann and Takemi. Probably next is Makoto, then maybe Chihaya. Granted, this is all an opinion based only on the first 70 hours of the game, as I haven’t quite completed it yet. In fact I’m not even sure I’ve met all the confidants yet (pretty sure there are a few more). As far as romance options though, I’m going for a harem run and seeing if I can romance everyone simultaneously 😂.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Buizel

@Th3solution Good to hear! I was always under the impression that she ranked highly amongst the non-Phantom Thieves, but I might be wrong (she certainly gets enough fanart posted on Reddit!). Ann is my personal PT choice (Makoto is alright...but I never understood why she's so popular). Never tried the harem route myself (as silly as it sounds - I kinda feel guilty about it!) but it does sound like a pretty cool challenge for my next run through (I think I maxed out all the female confidants last playthrough anyway).

On that note, an unpopular opinion: Chie is best girl (Persona 4).

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

ApostateMage

timleon wrote:

On that note, an unpopular opinion: Chie is best girl (Persona 4).

This isn't an unpopular opinion, it's a fact.

ApostateMage

Th3solution

@timleon Ah, I’m not a frequenter of Reddit so I didn’t realize she was that popular. I just always hear about Makoto and Ann. I must admit, that doing the harem requires you to date Kawakami, which although I like her backstory and all, it’s a little bit creepy dating her 😂

As far as P4 — Rise was probably my favorite but Chie is a close second along with Marie.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

TheFrenchiestFry

Takemi ain't underrated

Take one step onto the cancerous tumor that is Persona Twitter and it'll practically be a drinking game for how often you spot people doing thirst posts on Makoto, Kawakami or Takemi, or alternatively how many posts you can spot where people take a dump on Ohya or Chihaya

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Th3solution

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, I’m obviously in the wrong corners of the internet since I rarely hear praise for Takemi. For me, I like her mysterious nature and disheveled presentation. She has a whole devil-may-care approach but deep down struggles with wanting to progress her research. It’s a nice contrast to most other waifu personalities.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Th3solution I think Takemi is definitely one of the better written confidants, which is saying something since I think P5 has a rather hit or miss cast compared to P3 and P4, and especially P2. I definitely like how unorthdox she looks for a doctor considering at first glance her pharmacy looks like a pretty shady place, even if it's where you'll primarily buy your HP/SP items

I like in particular how she's kind of insecure about herself due to her negative reputation among people who've actually gone to her for help, and as a result it kind of feeds into the morbid and dark sense of humor she has even if she's actually a pretty caring person who seems to get really excited whenever you try one of her "experimental drugs"

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

Best girl in Persona 4 is Yosuke.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Buizel

nessisonett wrote:

Best girl in Persona 4 is Yosuke.

Clearly it's Kanji.

At least 2'8".

nessisonett

@timleon Honestly, I’m not a big fan of Persona 4’s cast anyway. Kanji’s about the only one that I really cared about. Well, other than Dojima and Nanako.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@nessisonett @timleon Kanji is probably Troy Baker’s best role. That or Joel inTLoU or maybe Booker Dewitt in BioShock Infinite. A lot of other roles he sounds kinda like himself... (See Delsin Rowe, Higgs, Snow, Bruce Wayne, Samuel Drake, ... etc, etc.)

redd214

Perhaps an unpopular opinion that I was just thinking about yesterday, as a franchise Sonic the Hedgehog is just not very good overall. Of all the games they've released over the decades really only a few are actually great, fun to play games. The cartoons were cool as a kid and the recent movie was surprisingly decent but as a whole there's much much more bad Sonic content than good.

Also, cloud gaming is terrific!

Edited on by redd214

redd214

DerMeister

Actual unpopular opinion- Chie is the worst.

Honestly, some of the more popular "waifu" choices do nothing for me. In addition to Chie, Naoto doesn't appeal to me (Though her interactions with Kanji are fun), I like Makoto but I don't get the massive appeal, Futaba is too much like a cringey corporate interpretation of gamers for me to like (Also the idea of romancing her after playing the game felt weird), Kawakami makes me uncomfortable, Takemi's ok. Just ok.

Edited on by DerMeister

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Thrillho

redd214 wrote:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion that I was just thinking about yesterday, as a franchise Sonic the Hedgehog is just not very good overall. Of all the games they've released over the decades really only a few are actually great, fun to play games. The cartoons were cool as a kid and the recent movie was surprisingly decent but as a whole there's much much more bad Sonic content than good.

Paging @RogerRoger !

Thrillho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic