Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 1,271

Brydontk

@nessisonett Sorry to interject but this is a really interesting topic and I agree with @BowTiesAreCool's unpopular opinion; but I also agree that the price rise comes at an inconvenient time, but I don't think either are mutually exclusive.

I honestly believe the way AAA game development works now, is not sustainable. Consumers are content with the $60 price tag, but think about the poor developers who undergo constant crunch and a lack of job security due to numerous employees being laid off once the games are finished; and this is just treated as the norm. Part of this is the tech keeps getting more and more advanced which means that it requires more time and resources to give us the longer , more visually appealing games that we (not us specifically, but consumers) crave. Like, it's no wonder that CD Projekt Red, as an example put their employees under crunch because they put out very few games, they're all long, high-quality and pretty technologically advanced, and the company probably really needed the money and couldn't afford to delay the game for another few months. They need to sell the games to pay the employees.

But at the same time, the wealth gap is increasing so there's a constant sense of socioeconomic anxiety about paying anything more than the comfortable $60 and that puts the gaming industry between a rock and a hard place. In all honesty, games at this point should probably cost $100 to make game developing financially feasible for the poor lower tier workers.

But I disagree with @BowTiesAreCool in the sense that it makes consumers "crying babies". People are struggling and they're broke. And honestly, the system has screwed both the consumers and video game employees. What needs to happen is a shift in our economic systems to make it financially feasible to raise game prices to what they need to be while also ensuring more people have more money in their pockets so they can stimulate the industry and their respective nation's economies. It's really more a societal issue that just so happens to have leaked into the gaming industry and the lives of gamers.

Edited on by Brydontk

Brydontk

Thrillho

@Kidfried The skill tree in Zero and the Kiwami games also sucks as it means you have to unlock loads of rubbish you won’t use to get to the good stuff.

Y3 has a weird system where you have to unlock level 1 in a specific area to get to better moves which was even worse but Y4 gives you combat points (or something similar). Unlocks cost one to four points and some do require you to unlock other things first but it was the best system so far.

Thrillho

TheFrenchiestFry

The Insomniac Spider-Man games in my opinion have the worst box arts I've seen so far for any Spider-Man game and I genuinely don't get why people like them so much

They're fine looking and serviceable, but they're just so bland and uninspired and do barely anything to represent the game outside the bare minimum

Thank you for coming to my ted talk

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Both versions of Web of Shadows’ box art beg to differ. Oof, they’re a rough photoshop job.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Jaz007

Honestly, I never played Web of Shadows, but it always looked like it had some cool ideas. I'd play a Web of Shadows if it had the proper web-swinging mechanics that Insomniac's does. I could never bring myself to play Web of Shadows because it lacked that. How Spider-Man 2 did it right and then (Ultimate Spider-Man aside, 3 too maybe...) threw out the best mechanic that made SM2 so popular for so many games I will never understand. Insomniac literally took the most obvious idea to make Spider-Man a hit. And that's to their credit too, it was what needed to be done and refined.

Jaz007

TheFrenchiestFry

@Jaz007 Web of Shadows is honestly extremely underrated

It also still has the best combat of any Spider-Man game in my opinion. The way the symbiote suit actually changes mechanics in gameplay is very refreshing after SM2 and Ultimate Spider-Man were basically cut from the same cloth. It also has plenty of cameos from the wider MU like Luke Cage, Wolverine and even Moon Knight

TheFrenchiestFry

Jaz007

@TheFrenchiestFry How was the story in it? The way it could go with characters keeping normal or getting corrupted by the symbiote seemed like a good idea. Same with you balancing using the Symbiotic suit.

Jaz007

TheFrenchiestFry

@Jaz007 Now I could get all comic book nerdy and say that from a comic perspective it makes absolutely no sense how the symbiotes are actually utilized, but for what it is, it's probably my second or third favorite of the Spider-Man games that had symbiotes as a plot element

Although I will say the voice acting, especially from Peter himself, left A LOT to be desired. At least Venom was actually legitimately badass in the plot

TheFrenchiestFry

Anti-Matter

I would rather choose Race with Ryan rather than any realistic racing games.
Never like the appeal of realistic racing games without items to smack on opponents.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

UnlimitedSevens

I cant stand Journey. It has atmosphere, tone for days but it hides some super simplistic, unengaging platform-lite gameplay. Short, no real narrative to speak of.

I secretly feel like saying you like Journey isn't sincere, it's just a way to tell people you are a classy, cool person. But I may be delusional. It's not bad, it's alright. Just alright. Not great, not exceptional, not noteworthy.

Sick of seeing it on top 10 lists when there are so many better downloadable games out there.

UnlimitedSevens

UnlimitedSevens

@Kidfried

This "third-world country" has a gross domestic product over 7 times the UK.

We have states bigger than your country.

Your figurehead is still a queen in 2020... and if she had a gun she would be the king. I have to do a double take to make sure we aren't in the 16th century every time I read a news story about this or that crusty member of the royal family.

I mean, "colour" - really? No, it's color.

Cockney accents disturb me.

Okay, jokes aside, we are going through a tough time right now. There may be some validity to what you are saying. I'll settle for second world country lol.

This was my unpopular opinion. American Revolution Part 2, let's go!

UnlimitedSevens

Kidfried

@UnlimitedSevens I'm not from the UK or any of the isles, actually. 😅

And I have always preferred American spelling and pronunciation to British, by the way. Just like I prefer a president to a king or queen, and driving on the right side of the road, and US nature and wildlife too. So my post wasn't coming from a place of nationalism or disdain for the US. I didn't mean to offend you, if I did in any way, I'm sorry.

Kidfried

nessisonett

@UnlimitedSevens Journey was the first game I played on PS4 and I’ve played it another 3 or 4 times since. It’s brilliant solely because it’s an experience, not a traditional game. You play it in one go and take in all the sights and sounds. The multiplayer is masterfully done as well since you don’t know who you’re with and can only communicate with a little ping. I dunno, I’m literally ADHD and love walking simulators and stuff, I can’t imagine not having the patience.

UnlimitedSevens

@Kidfried

No, no good sir - all in good fun. The US and UK are like peanut butter and jelly. We are like... bros!

Now I just feel bad about myself. I don't really mind the spelling of colour, honest.

God Save the Queen!

Edited on by UnlimitedSevens

UnlimitedSevens

UnlimitedSevens

@nessisonett

I want to open my heart and mind to that game. How could everyone be wrong? Played through it 3 or 4 times trying to get that "experience". I think that's one game I'll just never get. There may be something broken inside me that prevents me from appreciating it. And... I actually like walking simulators too. Until Dawn, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture, Firewatch are some of my favorite games. Where am I going wrong. Maybe I need to take more time and ponder on the implied story - the pictographs and such on the monuments scattered throughout the levels. Take my time on it. I really don't know.

UnlimitedSevens

nessisonett

Persona boss themes are rubbish. I love the series, the soundtracks for especially 3, 4 and 5 are great but listening to them on Spotify kinda showed up how terrible the boss themes are in comparison to the normal battle themes. In particular with those three games, each boss theme is just extremely repetitive guitar, which is exacerbated by the boss fights being pretty long in every game. It grates so heavily by the end despite the normal battle themes being perfectly OK until the end of the final dungeons. Now this is gonna be really unpopular but I honestly don’t like Rivers in the Desert. I never found it that interesting. I know people love that track but.... eh.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett Honestly the P2 boss theme and the track Knights of the Holy Spear that plays when you're facing against the Longinus Squad during the end game are straight bops

I actually like tracks like Master of Shadow, I'll Face Myself and Keeper of Lust but they can get repetitive rather quickly

I do admittedly have a soft spot for Our Beginning, but honestly none of these themes come close to matching Shin Megami Tensei boss themes like Battle B2 or Nocturne's boss theme

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Anti-Matter

Playing kiddie or girlie games on PS4 such as Paw Patrol Mighty Pups, Racing with Ryan, Big Bobby Car, My Universe series, are such a joyful for me. 😀
I keep portraying my PS4 Slim as a Kiddie Toy Box.

Anti-Matter

nessisonett

@Anti-Matter You know, I never would have guessed that. You think you know some people.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic