Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 1,285

Jaz007

@Kidfried Games have gotten more expensive in the last 20 years. $60 was a PS360 thing. Before games were $50, and were $50 on the Wii. MTs and such are also in games now. I will say paid upgrades are okay within reason, but locking Spider-Man behind Ult Miles Morales is not cool. Not a good practice for consumers that I won't accept.

Jaz007

whatever-156

I hate MGS3 and everything it stands for, that game is basically Konami and Kojima bending the knee to the brainlet MGS2 haters that sent death threats to Kojima and caused a huge outrage over "muh snek"

whatever-156

PSN: whatever-156

nessisonett

@whatever-156 Yeah, that’s not true. Kojima does whatever he wants and while the critics were happy that Snake, or at least a version of him, was playable, Kojima set out from the start to tell that story. I like both MGS2 and 3 for the stories they tell and referring to ‘brainlet’ fans is less an unpopular opinion and more completely creating a separate issue. Raiden got his own game later on and also played a pivotal role in MGS4.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@Arugula I see what you’re saying, but I’d argue the big tent pole games for the generation, especially the Sony first and second party games, have had some really strong lead protagonists. Aloy, Sam Porter Bridges, Jin, Senua, Arthur Morgan, 2B... these really carried their respective games.

But yes, some others where the secondary character stole the show:
Trico >> the Boy
Fetch >> Delsin Rowe

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Arugula I think the more bland protagonist has always been popular in video games for exactly the reason you state. From Link to Dragonborn. I think mainly because some stories are easier to tell if the player is not that involved in it.

Don't think this is more true now than any previous generation. Also...

Lofty > Roland > Evan

Kidfried

Octane

@Kidfried I don't know about your, but I was buying €40 games on PS1, and €50 games on GameCube. Now they're €80. They've doubled in price. And if you add DLC and everything on top of this, they've become even more expensive, or rather, there are several more options to pay the publisher that weren't available back then. As long as gaming companies can still boast about record high annual profits, I don't believe they're in dire need of money. Game prices can drop mere months after release, which you wouldn't do if they were so expensive. CEOs accept double digit million bonuses. I think there's plenty of reason to be skeptical, because in the end the main goal of a public company is to increase its annual revenue. That's all.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Arugula Whilst I have liked a lot of protagonists this generation, I do agree with you that they're often surrounded by better (or more interesting, at least) characters. This is a trend carried over from the PS3 though, at least from my perspective. Nathan Drake is cool an' all, but Sully was always my favourite, and I'd much rather have been playing as him from the get-go.

But then, I often think this is a common trend in a lot of things. Luke Skywalker? Great, but a little two-dimensional. Batman? Cool, but I'm showing up for the sidekicks and villains.

Games which have complex protagonists have always caught me off-guard (my reaction to where Cole Phelps ended up in L.A. Noire was definitely one of shock) because I think we've always been given control of deliberately bland characters. Not sure whether that's because they have to carry the plot, or because players are supposed to project themselves into the game and allow their own personality to guide their actions. Things feel different when you're controlling them, after all.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Arugula Fair enough. I might be falling victim to coercive writing, but I think Aloy was interesting because of the whole being an outcast initially, disrespected, and then to find out a clone of Sobeck. It was just a fascinating backstory.. I’ll admit, her personality is rather dull but that’s some of the charm. And being a ginger makes her quite unique in the gaming world 😂. Definitely an underrepresented minority.

As for Jin, similarly he is stiff as a board personality-wise, but the whole ’fighting the inner struggle of whether to follow the traditions of his fathers, or whether to cast aside custom and honor to accomplish the greater good for his people’ gives him a lot of depth story-wise. Granted I’ve still not completed the game. Still sitting at the end of Act 3, gathering collectibles and finishing off side quests before I lay it to rest. But yes, Khan is probably my favorite character in the game though.

But I realize I’m speaking out of both sides of my mouth here because I find Geralt to be one of the more over-rated main protagonists out there. The guy has zero personality and I just couldn’t connect with him. But I think it’s maybe more an issue of not knowing his backstory well enough.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution There have been an awful lot of protagonists this gen like a plank of wood but then some rabid fan explains about how their motivations make them a plank of wood. I just would rather play as somebody with personality. Not Sony’s idea of ‘personality’ which is cracking jokes in Nolan North’s voice, a genuine rounded personality. None of these protagonists feel like actual people, they’re cardboard cutouts with backstories drawn with a Sharpie.

TheFrenchiestFry

UNPOPULAR OPINION:

I don't like self insert characters in RPGs with pre-determined designs

If you're going through the effort of designing them from top to bottom as if they are like all your other party members, give them a personality worth a damn. With player-created characters like in Elder Scrolls and Divinity that's a different story, but for protagonists like the Dragon Quest Heroes, or the SMT/Persona MCs (with an exception being made for Maya in P2), I want to relate to these characters the same way I do with other party members if you're going through the effort to give them individualized designs.

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Jaz007

@TheFrenchiestFry What about Persona 5? I think it works because the dialogue choices let you insert yourself and really feel like a part of the group, but his design is necessary for the style and thematic elements of the game. For other games, I agree more, though.

Jaz007

Jaz007

@TheFrenchiestFry The PS3 let me watch stuff on my TV and watch movies on that are DVDs/Blu-Rays. PSP had those weird PSP movies you could buy for a tiny screen and only watch on the PSP. Aside from being portable what did the PSP have that PS3 didn't? Heck, how many streaming apps did it even have? (I legitimately have no idea any more.)

Jaz007

LieutenantFatman

@nessisonett
Video games have never been good at genuine rounded personalities in their characters, especially in the more popular games we see released. On the rare occasions they do manage it, the game in question tends to be an instant candidate for game of the generation.

The Witcher 3 and Mass Effect 2 spring to mind.

LieutenantFatman

TheFrenchiestFry

@Jaz007 I think it's because it's largely due to the fact that they go through all this effort to make you identify with the self insert character like Joker, but they then just straight up give him a personality and an actual voice in every other multimedia thing surrounding the game, including a canon name in stuff like the anime adaptation and even games like Dancing in Starlight.

Like at that point, why not just make him someone like Cloud who has a defined personality and voice as well as a compelling character arc that lets him stand on his own next to other party members

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Jaz007

@TheFrenchiestFry What are they supposed to do with the anime? I mean, they don’t have a choice. They can’t let you put in a custom name then. The only other option is just cancel it for the sake of the game maintaining purity of self-inserting into the character. The 120+ hour game is more than the main focus and if it works there, I don’t see what the issue is.

Jaz007

nessisonett

@Arugula The most relatable characters usually turn up in indie games to be honest, Madeline from Celeste, Mae from Night in the Woods and Alex from Oxenfree feel more human than 99.9% of the bland characters you get in AAA games. I feel that because AAA games have to appeal to a wide variety of people, they just shove you into the role of Gunz McShootyface and call it a day.

Kidfried

Unpopular opinion: the combat in Yakuza is actually not great at all. Yes, it can feel satisfying, but it's not good gameplay. It's unbalanced, there's a lack of enemy variety, the controls are slow, dodging is dodgy and winning fights basically means always doing the exact same combo. Also, just having a lot of items will get you through any fight.

Kidfried

L3GTRIGA

I don't like Horizon Zero Dawn.
Spider-man should have been GOTY with GOW
Gamepass is overrated.
PS4 exclusives should come on PC.
Uncharted 2 to 4 are perfect stories with super fun gameplay and 4 even had relatability.
COD,FIFA,HALO are far from fun even factions is better.
Assasin's Creed is a really bad franchise.
We need a AAA detective game which require us to use brains more and less guns.
Almost all game critics are corrupt.

Multiplayers are mostly toxic.
Gameplay and graphics balance is more important than frame rates with everything washed out.

Edited on by L3GTRIGA

L3GTRIGA

TheIdleCritic

The Order: 1886 is one of the best games of this generation and still one of the best looking.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is a boring, tedious, self indulgent sludge of a game.

Edited on by TheIdleCritic

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic