Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 3,941 to 3,960 of 4,475

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Every time I see an interview with Pedro Pascal, or a clip of him from another show, I think it's a shame that what is arguably his most iconic role forces him to wear a bucket on his head (and yet, somehow, he still manages to exude all that talent and charisma, so maybe it's not so bad).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Yea, somehow even The Mandalorian oozes charm. I'm now halfway the first season and, while many of the scenes could be anyone under that helmet, some of these other scenes could only be done this well by Pascal. How he sighs, how he can add a pause halfway through a sentence, how he walks the perfect middle between being a douchy grunt and a softie.

Mad in love with him!

Kidfried

Pizzamorg

I very much disagree with Kidfried's opinion on the Last of Us TV adaptation, as you can see in the contrast between our posts in the final episodes and our general discussions elsewhere, but I have really enjoyed Pascal in everything I have seen him in, even if that thing may not be something I love as a whole, and that is true here, too.

Ramsey's Ellie I am sorta less sold on, personally, but I think Pascal's Joel has a lot of potential which sorta went unrealised in that first season (for me).

You can sorta look at it in two ways, that Troy Baker was technically given more to work with through less, as he had to find ways to convey Joel's characterisation during long stretches of game where Joel existed in this thick, seemingly impenetrable, shell. Where Joel would sometimes barely say anything at all, and action was being controlled by the player, so Baker couldn't necessarily tell whatever he needed through sheer physicality either, at least outside of cutscenes.

Pascal gets to own Joel's physicality far more (other than the need for stunt doubles or whatever) and the TV show rewrote Joel to an extent to make him this more vulnerable, outwardly expressing character, which meant Pascal wasn't always having to find ways of conveying what he needed through strict limitations set by the character.

I am reading reports than potentially Part 2's story will cover multi seasons, and be more willing to deviate from the game (maybe because the story was total ***** - heh, gottem), so I really hope that gives Pascal more time to explore this version of Joel, and he isn't just killed off like ten minutes into the first episode of Season 2. I think if they find some consistency for this frailer, more vocal, Joel, they could really take the character to some interesting places, and they are in great hands with Pascal.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 I'll be adding it to my rental service when it is available on there.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Agreed, you can definitely tell when it's him (and it's a lot more often than you'd think). Bless you for being so smitten with him! Can totally see why!

Word of warning, if you do decide to stick with The Mandalorian (between it and Jedi: Fallen Order I wouldn't be surprised if you suffered some Star Wars burnout) there'll be a spin-off show teased at the end of its second season. Don't skip it. Watch it before starting Season Three. I'm not gonna say anything else (spoilers!) and apologise if I've said too much already, but trust me.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger I decided to watch the first two seasons only for now to prevent myself from overindulgement. Though I am very excited to just continue on going. The Mandalorian might mark the first time Star Wars is as good again as it was in Episode V. A lot of decent Star Wars stuff has come out during my lifetime, just nothing that really blew me away like Mandalorian.

Of course, I'm not caught up at all. Many people told me Rogue One and Andor are supposed to be great too. So who knows, I might get to them as well at... some point!

Kidfried

Thrillho

@RogerRoger there'll be a spin-off show teased at the end of its second season

Have I forgotten about something already??

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Smart move. Just remember to watch that show when you return!

@Thrillho Maybe...? I'm being cagey for Kid's benefit, as I don't know whether they've watched all of the second season yet, and the spin-off show's title is a dead giveaway.

I'll tag you over in Dex's Diner, give me a second.

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I watched The Last Of Us show whilst I was away.

... Honestly I enjoyed the show a LOT more then the game.

Still not very special mind you and don't get the hype on why everyone thinks it's the Bee's knees.

Episode 3 was disappointing. Mainly because of all the timeskips that happened with Bill so it felt a bit rushed in building up the relationship with Frank in my opinion. I thought episode 7 did a much better job in making me invested in Riley and Ellie.

I really quite liked the opening for episode 9. The choice to have a flashback with Ashley Johnson as Elly's mother as a passing of the torch sorta thing was cute I thought and much more impactful then Troy Baker's cameo in the previous episode.

Did quite like Pedro Pascal as Joel too and Bella grew on me when she finally got to actually bust out those acting chops of hers.

But yeah... Much better as a show then the game which I thought was a real slog most the time and I only carried on for the performances.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

Late to the party but I thought the final episode of The Last of Us was quite good. It hit a really nice crescendo within the microcosm of the isolated episode, despite the series as a whole being erratic at times with its pacing.

The differences and expansions on the game worked well I thought. And having a appreciation for Part II, I didn’t mind the modified way that the game ended. It’s pretty clear that there was care taken to prep for the next phase of the story, and so I can respect the slightly expanded conclusion.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

Considering my tepid response to the first game as a whole I'm looking forward to the more controversial second game and what that'll bring to the table for a second and third season of the show @Th3solution. It honestly sounds MUCH more interesting then anything in TLoU 1.

... I do feel sorry for whomever actress is going to play Abby and sincerely hope it's nothing like what Laura Bailey had to endure 😕

Whilst I wouldn't quite go to @Kidfried's level of admiration for Pedro as Joel I did really enjoy him in the part and be a bit more vunerable and Bella Ramsey definitely came into her own as Ellie in the later half of the season.

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@HallowMoonshadow So did you say that you’d played the second game? I can’t remember. We just had a rather lengthy and interesting discussion back and forth with several users about Part 2. As time as gone on, the narrative complaints about it have gained some legitimacy once the stupid bigotry and political rhetoric about the game slowed down. So I’d be curious to your thoughts on it. I’d definitely recommend playing it if you haven’t, especially prior to the second season of the TV show airing.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

zupertramp

@RogerRoger read your comments a couple days ago but it's just registering.... are you saying I gotta watch a spinoff before the new Mando season?

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp I think Rog answered that in the star wars thread. Short answer is yes. Which has put me off subscribing to Disney+ more so than I already was.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder thanks. And if it's the one I'm thinking of I just have no interest in watching it at all. I've mostly only tolerated SW because of the wife (and baby Yoda helped) but my love has its limits lol.

Or maybe I'll just watch season 3 and be lost. That's about how it goes for me watching anything Star Wars related anyway. Way too much lore for my tastes.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

RogerRoger

@zupertramp Apologies for the delay. Johnny's short answer is correct, but there is a longer one that might help if you (or rather your wife, from the sounds of things) if you're interested.

The Book of Boba Fett is seven episodes long in its entirety, but it's the fifth, sixth and seventh episodes that feature the Mandalorian and significantly advance his ongoing storyline. Anybody allergic to Boba Fett could just skip ahead and watch 'Chapter 5: Return of the Mandalorian', 'Chapter 6: From the Desert Comes a Stranger' and 'Chapter 7: In the Name of Honor' and you'd be all set, at least as of right now (as there's no telling what may or may not get referenced later, of course).

Disney+ has a sub-menu titled 'The Mandalorian' on its front page (and I'd imagine there'd be a similar one in its dedicated Star Wars section, too) which includes those episodes in chronological order.

Making It So Since 1987

zupertramp

@RogerRoger good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

HallowMoonshadow

I haven't touched or seen the second game at all though this is the internet and you can't go five seconds @Th3solution without hearing about Aerith Joel dying

I'll make sure to put it on the list and do so before Season 2 comes out. Maybe when I finally bring myself round to getting a PS5 as it has a 60FPS mode there right?

Th3solution

@HallowMoonshadow Yes, I was just mentioning that over on the other thread to LtSarge that I played TLoU2 on base PS4 at first and then switched over mid-playthrough to the PS5 and the PS5 patch does ramp it up to 60 fps. But if you’re accustomed to 30 fps, the game is remarkably gorgeous even for PS4; It’s up there as probably the most impressive PS4 game visually. Even the game’s harshest critics are complimentary of the technical achievement.

PegasusActual93

@Th3solution
With the 60fps patch it just looks like a typical PS5 exclusive to me. Pretty mind-blowing what they accomplished on hardware that was already pushing 7 years old when it came out. Makes me curious what we will be seeing at the end of the PS5's lifespan.

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic