Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 3,361 to 3,380 of 4,462

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder @LtSarge If you're after something to watch after your recent (comparative) disappointments, and if you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend "Arcane" on Netflix. It's state of the bloody art. I've seen it twice now and it's one of the greatest animated shows (and the best videogame adaptation) that I've ever seen - don't worry if you don't know a thing about "League of Legends" - it doesn't make a scrap of difference.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 I've heard nothing but good things about Arcane. It is on my watch list, but always seem to choose something else over it. Even from my sister, who I never thought in a million years would reccomend something like that as is neither into video games or typically watches animation. Cheers for the reccomendation, I'll try and watch it sooner than later!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

PegasusActual93

@LtSarge
I have some tv shows with satisfying endings if you need a palette cleanser.

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Sorry to see that Severance underwhelmed, although I'm glad to see that the final episode made a good impression (that level of sustained tension... blimey). I'll be interested to see what you make of Slow Horses, because it didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped it would, and its good bits were few and far between. Fingers crossed you enjoy it, at any rate!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

@LN78 Funny you should mention that show as I've heard one of the actresses in The Expanse is also in Arcane lol. But yeah, I'm definitely going to watch that show eventually, for sure.

@PegasusActual93 Sure, I'm all ears.

LtSarge

LN78

@LtSarge Can't recommend it highly enough - it's an absolute masterpiece.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LtSarge I think that crossover star you're talking about is Shohreh Aghdashloo. She's absolutely amazing, and has one of the best voices in the entire world. There are very few actors I'd watch any show for, but she's definitely one of 'em, and I really regret that I didn't get along with The Expanse enough to stick with it and see her entire performance. Arcane is top of my "when I get Netflix again" list, though.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

PegasusActual93

@LtSarge
Here's some series I thought ended in a satisfactory manner:

•"Mr Robot": Seriously why don't more people talk about this show? It's a masterpiece from start to finish. Great acting, great story, great cast, probably the best and most creative cinematography I've seen in a tv show, didn't overstay it's welcome and ended right when it needed to. Since you watch the Expanse it's also on Amazon at least in the U.S.

•The Leftovers: Another show, this time on HBO that more people should be talking about, it was made by most of the same crew that made Lost but avoids every single problem Lost had. Best to go in it as blind as possible.

Dark: A German Scifi Netflix series that needs to be watched with subtitles if you don't know German. An extremely complicated plot that you will be confused watching for a while but oh boy is the payoff oh so satisfying. Like the Leftovers it's best to watch this one knowing as little as possible.

Black Sails: A pirate series set in the 1700s. It is sort of similar to Game of Thrones in terms of tone, style and pacing but it's final season avoids all of the issues that plagued GOT.

Boardwalk Empire: A crime drama set in 1920s American during Prohibition. Great from start to finish. This one is a little more contentious as the final season was a little rushed to get to it's conclusion, but it still resolves every plot thread in a satisfactory manner.

There's others as well that I just can't think of at the moment but regardless, enjoy.

Edited on by PegasusActual93

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

LtSarge

@RogerRoger Yeah, she's definitely one of the best actors in The Expanse. Her acting is just sublime, you can feel her radiating the energy of a leader during her performance. I was recently reminded of her in another context, which was when they showed the trailer for Assassin's Creed Mirage. She's in the game as well, which makes me super stoked to play it.

Don't feel bad though about not sticking with The Expanse. While the show was overall very good, I feel like the disappointing ending would've (somewhat) ruined it for you.

@PegasusActual93 I've actually already watched Mr. Robot and the reason why I don't talk much about it is because I don't know what the hell was going on in that show. I typically get a general understanding for most shows that I watch but I still don't understand Mr. Robot. I'll have to rewatch it one of these days with a clearer mind.

Black Sails was really good though, I enjoyed it from beginning to end

I watched the first season of Dark and it was pretty good. I'll need to resume it one of these days.

The Leftovers and Boardwalk Empire are good shouts though, I really need to watch those. I'm contemplating getting HBO Max next after my month of Prime Video runs out since there's so much on there that I want to watch, including the new Game of Thrones series. So I might watch those next. Thanks for the recommendations!

LtSarge

CJD87

@PegasusActual93 Thought I'd chip in here as The Leftovers and Dark are 2 of my favorite shows of all time.... especially the former.

The Leftovers left such a huge impact.... and those performances, particularly Carrie Coon and Chris Eccleston, are phenomenal. Sticks the landing as well, and the ending was fairly satisfying.

Dark is a great time as well, but definitely a show where you need to 100% focus on it until the credits roll. Again, a great ending as well

CJD87

JohnnyShoulder

@PegasusActual93 @CJD87 I'm pretty sure I saw that there is a new show from the same people that did The Dark, so you might wanna keep an eye out for that.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

@CJD87 No worries mate! 👍

PegasusActual93

@JohnnyShoulder
I'm aware of 1899 and I am sure like Dark it will be really good but I don't have Netflix anymore and don't know if i ever will again.

PegasusActual93

@LtSarge
Once you understand that the main character is an unreliable narrator then alot of the details in Mr Robot makes sense. Sometimes it's also up to your interpretation whether some scenes happened or not as well. Also the first season of Dark was good but season 2 and 3 are straight masterpieces.

Also I would recommend Hbomax. The movie library alone puts Netflix to shame.

Edited on by PegasusActual93

JohnnyShoulder

@PegasusActual93 Totally agree with you on Mr Robot. Such a fantastic show which I found really gripping. Another one which you need to pay attention to.

XandertheWise

right now Im binge watching breezing through some episodes of UnXplained that narrated by William Shatner on Netflix

XandertheWise

JohnnyShoulder

Only a few episodes in, but I am enjoying Slow Horses thus far. I think the characters and dialogue are ace, especially Gary Oldam's 'Lamb' who is so very acerbic.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

XandertheWise

i heard Netflix is getting rid of Naruto next month so I just got back into binge watching some of Season 3 and some of Season 4.

anyone know what episode of Season 4 the first Naruto movie takes place? such as the name of the episode?

XandertheWise

RogerRoger

@XandertheWise Alas, you're a tad late to the first movie, Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow, if you're already nearing Season 4. It apparently fits between Episode 101 ("Gotta See! Gotta Know! Kakashi-Sensei's True Face!") and Episode 102 ("Mission: Help an Old Friend in the Land of Tea") which are the first two episodes of Season 3. I seem to recall it being mostly standalone, though, so you might be okay.

The second movie, Legend of the Stone of Gelel, takes place after Season 4's Episode 160 ("Hunt or Be Hunted?! Showdown at the O.K. Temple!") whilst the third, Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom, takes place after Season 5's Episode 196 ("Hot-Blooded Confrontation: Student Vs. Sensei").

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic