Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 3,181 to 3,200 of 4,472

Col_McCafferty

The Boys, best comic book show of all time?

Yes.

It's so damned good it's almost unfair on everything else. The Umbrella Academy is back and I'm really enjoying this new season, but The Boys is another level entirely.

Latest episode was fantastic viewing, so many highlights (and lowlights if you're called The Deep 😉) and still two more to go.

Col_McCafferty

LtSarge

@Col_McCafferty Yeah, Carrie is definitely one of the most annoying protagonists of any TV show that I've watched. She's completely unbearable and doesn't care about other people. But at the same time, it's very satisfying to watch her get punished for her actions because she deserves it.

Fortunately though, the show has tons of other great characters that help carry (pun unintended) the show.

LtSarge

RR529

Finished up Obi-Wan Kenobi. It was okay.

I think it was definitely at it's best when it was focusing on the Kenobi/Vader angle, and seeing Vader absolutely own the room in the other scenes he was in. You can definitely feel the bloat with how they had to pad it out from it's initial inception as a movie though.

That, and I'll have to cut Moon Knight some slack as Kenobi had the same issues in terms of darkness. The scenes in the rebel hideout in episode in episode 5 were super muddy, and I could barely see what was going on in the final episode when Luke was getting chased in the mountains & when Kenobi got buried under ground. Clearly there's something wrong with how Disney is making these shows.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

sorteddan

@Col_McCafferty
Agreed. If I find and enjoy another show as much as The Boys this year then I will have been spoiled. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Tjuz

Col_McCafferty wrote:

The Boys, best comic book show of all time?

I raise you: Watchmen and Legion. I think they're both miles ahead of The Boys. That said, I'm not a big fan of that show to begin with. For me it very much feels like a show being edgy to the extreme with no real purpose or enough substance to justify it. Have you seen Watchmen or Legion? I wonder because I'd say they're equally stylistic shows, but in my opinion are better at each of their shticks. And if we're gonna talk about shows that enjoy being weird for the sake of being weird, I did also really enjoy Doom Patrol, but I think that went way downhill after the first season.

Tjuz

LN78

@Col_McCafferty "Daredevil" and "Jessica Jones" first seasons were better than "The Boys". I preferred "Peacemaker" as well, now that I come to think about it.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 I rewatched Daredevil’s first season and had forgotten just how brilliant it actually was. I really liked the third season as well but the second did my head in and I never did watch Defenders. Jessica Jones also had a great first season but I never got round to the rest.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Col_McCafferty

All a matter of opinions but whilst the first season of Legion is sheer genius (and probably led to The Umbrella Academy TV adaptation being greenlight), subsequent seasons were nowhere near as good and the Netflix Marvel stuff were good but really bloated and repetitive.

The Boys is a superhero show popular with people that don't normally like such things, like Game of Thrones was liked by many people that weren't usually into fantasy.

The Boys holds a mirror up our world and criticises almost everyone: the alt-right, the extreme work crowd, corporations, celebrity worship, the superhero genre itself. If it does nothing for you? Your loss I guess

😁

Col_McCafferty

Nancyboy

Just bought the entire 60s Batman series on the cheap. Very excited. Sit it next to Gilligan’s Island and Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Edited on by Nancyboy

Nancyboy

LN78

@Col_McCafferty As @Nancyboy just reminded me, the "Batman" series from the 60's is also better than "The Boys". Gosh - there are tons of superhero shows that leave "The Boys" in the dust when you think about it for a moment, aren't there?

LN78

RogerRoger

@Nancyboy Oh my, you're in for a treat. That show is exactly the kind of nonsense that the world needs a lot more of right now. I've been considering a re-watch for a while, so I might just join you!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Col_McCafferty

@LN78 Hmm no, there really aren't!

😂

Point to the doll.where Butcher and co. hurt you!

😉

Col_McCafferty

LN78

@Col_McCafferty I like "The Boys" just fine. I just don't think it's particularly brilliant or anything. It's a major improvement over "Preacher" which Rogen and company completely butchered, that's for sure.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Elodin

@Col_McCafferty @Tjuz For me, the best comic adaptation was Sin City. It was almost frame by frame. Not a show, but as an adaptation, number 1 on my list. The Boys knows what it is doing. Although a bit different from the comic, they are both meant to be over the top. Well done in their own right.

Elodin

Nancyboy

@RogerRoger Do it. That series is gold. Adam West was wonderful, and the stars they landed to play the villains were awesome. And yes, just what we need indeed.

I was gassed, and my wife gave me the big smile/eyeroll "You're so cute" reaction. Bonus.

Nancyboy

JohnnyShoulder

I wonder if Master of Puppets will get to number 1 in the UK charts too? It would be funny if it knocked Running Up The Hill off from the top spot.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

MightyDemon82

@JohnnyShoulder I will be watching those episodes this weekend, looking forward to it.

The Boys season finale next week will be interesting!

MightyDemon82

JohnnyShoulder

@MightyDemon82 @Kairu I have the second half of the last episode to watch, and yeah it has been really good so far!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

BearsEatBeets

@JohnnyShoulder I wasn't aware of the song but guessed by your comment that it is what Eddie played in the episode.
@Kairu @MightyDemon82 I started watching the final episodes about 9 last night and there was no way I wasn't going to watch the last episode right after. I didn't realise it was going to be 2hrs 20 minutes but it was worth it. Another excellent season. I hope it's not going to be too long a wait for the final season and they can finish it off in style.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

JohnnyShoulder

@ThereThere It appeared in the latest episode of Stranger Things, just like Running Up The Hil did in the previous part to this season before 8t charted.

@BearsEatBeets If it is anything like the scale of season 4, I doubt we will see the next season until the very least this time next year. Hopefully not as long as the 3 year wait for this season with the effects of the pandemic not be felt so much by the industry.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic