Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 3,141 to 3,160 of 4,400

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger Have we enticed you into checking it out😁. As @JohnnyShoulder mentions it's 15 rated so not into full-on horror. The spiders do appear with each death but they're not on screen for more than a few seconds each time. I don't consider myself a fan of horror films but love this series. I'd recommend anyone give it a go but if it doesn't appeal to you that's cool.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder @BearsEatBeets Appreciate the clarification. It's a hard pass from me, then. Which is a shame, as I'd warmed to the show over the course of its last three seasons. I really appreciated how it softened its darker horror elements over time. It's why the third season was my favourite because, by that point, the whole thing had just turned into a big, fun, silly, campy romp.

Most things on Netflix tend to "push boundaries" when it comes to age ratings and content. My problem is that, the more "mature" something tries to be, the more immature I find it, and the more uncomfortable I become. It's why I liked Stranger Things, as it was bucking that trend back there. Oh well.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger I didn't realise you had already watched the first 3 seasons. In that case, despite us both mentioning it being 'darker', I still feel the tone is pretty similar to previous seasons. I'm probably sounding contradictory now but feel overall it the same, it's just the way the main antagonist kills the characters (which only takes a few seconds) is quite gruesome. But I wouldn't say it's particularly more so than say Billy's death in season 3. There's still healthy doses of humour throughout too.
I didn't feel the spiders were anything major but I not generally bothered by them so wouldn't want to downplay it.
Generally I'd say, depending on how much you enjoyed those first 3 seasons, maybe give the season a go until the first death scene and see how you get on. Again totally your call but wouldn't want you to miss out on account of my inarticulate attempts at to describe the show.

BearsEatBeets

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Yeah I wouldn't miss this season if you liked the previous ones. There is still that goofiness and humour that it is renowned, as the kids still share the spot light with the other characters.

RogerRoger wrote:

My problem is that, the more "mature" something tries to be, the more immature I find it, and the more uncomfortable I become.

I think I know what you mean, but I didn't get that feeling from watching this latest season.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets @JohnnyShoulder Thanks for the additional information and reassurances. It's obvious that you've both really enjoyed this new season, which is awesome, if not entirely infectious! I really hope the final two episodes manage to maintain that through 'til the end, once they arrive.

I don't have an active Netflix subscription anyway, so I wasn't in a big hurry to begin with. I'll keep what you've said in mind, because the future content I'm interested in might not last me a full month. Cheers!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

I don’t even watch The Boys but I just saw a clip of what apparently happens in the latest episode and I’m dry heaving.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

sorteddan

@nessisonett the first two seasons had one or two of the most gory moments I have seen in anything for years. It's usually pretty funny though

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

nessisonett

@sorteddan I’m not good with gory things at all 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett @sorteddan And the graphic novels are more extreme in that sense. And others too.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

BearsEatBeets

@nessisonett I've just finished re-watching the first 2 seasons of The Boys ready for the new season. I'll see if I recognise which bit your referring to when I watch it.

BearsEatBeets

sorteddan

@BearsEatBeets
I think you will recognise it.
I think I did.
😂

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

BearsEatBeets

@sorteddan I'll get into it after the football this evening. It's always been pretty graphic so I'm guessing this is going to be pretty extreme.

BearsEatBeets

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets @sorteddan It's a bit annoying there is only one episode per week being 'aired'. Anybody know how episodes in the season, as I will probably wait until all the episodes are up.

sorteddan

@BearsEatBeets
As delightfully disgraceful as I expected it to be.

BearsEatBeets

@JohnnyShoulder It's going to be 8 episodes again. I think they've put the first 3 up straight away so 5 weeks until they are all up. I suppose putting them out weekly gets them discussion and attention online for longer.

BearsEatBeets

Col_McCafferty

Releasing episodes of your favourite show on a weekly basis?

Diabolical.

😉

Ha, people today have grown too used to an entire season being released day one. Nothing wrong with making people wait a week for the next installment.

The Boys remains the most outrageous and outrageously entertaining show on TV. Loved Stranger Things and Obi-Wan is really good, but my favourite remains The Boys. Just when you think it's running out of steam or can't shock anymore, it flips the script and keeps you hooked.

Col_McCafferty

JohnnyShoulder

@Col_McCafferty I think the majority of people don't consume TV shows in that way these days. Ironically I used to do that - watch a bunch of TV shows one or two episodes per week but I switched it up this year.

Of course there is nothing wrong with it, and not huge issue as there is plenty of other stuff to watch in the meantime. Just a grumpy old man moaning about something.

MightyDemon82

The Boys Is brilliant, started watching season 3 and my wife looked up at a certain scene and said WTF are you watching 😂 and then it got worse 😂

MightyDemon82

JohnnyShoulder

@JudgeDredd Moaning about other people moaning. Good moaning. And after all that moaning, I may have to watch the first 3 episodes of The Boys, just to keep up with the Joneseseses. 😂

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic