Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 2,921 to 2,940 of 4,462

RogerRoger

@Indoorhero Same! I just hope it's not the next thing we have to wait for, and that The Bad Batch makes a surprise comeback in the meantime (because, according to rumour, they've all but finished making its second season). Otherwise yeah, we've got Kenobi in May, the third season of Mando before Christmas, and then Ahsoka early next year, as well as LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga in April and a potential Jedi: Fallen Order sequel at some point, too. Phew! What a time to be alive!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

The missus and I started Friday Night Lights on a whim tonight as it’s included in Peacock (which in turn is included on SkyQ). We watched it together back when we first met (like 16 years ago) and it’s aged well… we blew through the first 6 eps this evening and can’t wait to carry on over the weekend.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore It really has aged fantastically hasn’t it? Also binged it when it came on Sky through Peacock, I have very fond memories of watching it after school when I was about 13!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

Netflix will be removing all Marvel TV shows on its service on March 1st: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/netflix-is-removing-all-its...

Good thing I just bought another month of Netflix. Out of Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, The Punisher and Defenders, I only have like a couple of episodes left of the last season of Daredevil, and the entire second season of The Punisher. I'll definitely prioritise watching those shows now.

LtSarge

NedStarksGhost

@RogerRoger @Indoorhero good evening both. I have had a very busy two days so I've just watched the finale (you know I'm not lying Rog as I've been straight on here every Wednesday!)

First the finale; it was decent. Had some good moments, felt the action was a bit lackluster at times, too much aiming like stormtroopers in ANH for me! However I loved the standoffs with Cad Bane. I genuinely felt tension the entire time. Seeing Boba use his training was a great full circle moment. I'm just said that it's the end of Cad Bane in live action. . What I will say though is I'm actually intrigued to see where it will go after that ending.

Now overall, I liked the series. Love it I definitely did not. It had pacing issues, the finale kind of felt inconsequential because we had a weird mesh of flashbacks and modern day, where the modern day fell a bit short. They didn't build up the series to the final battle enough, for me.

My favourite episode will probably be the same as most, Episode 5. However, if we discount that as it was basically Mando S3E0, then it has to be Episode 2. Rog, I remember us both being super excited after it. That episode really was a work of art! That's one thing these series have done amazing with, fleshing out parts of the universe we're in. I've seen debate on Temuera Morrison and I felt he did a good job personally, I can see why others wouldn't like him but I would've been bitterly disappointed to see anybody else cast as Boba. It would probably ruin the immersion for me. So in my opinion, they made the right decision!

Hope the post isn't too long! But yep, overall I enjoyed it, thought it was weak in a fair few areas but it was mostly good with some brilliant moments!

Onto Kenobi and Bad Batch next!

NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

@Indoorhero yeah my main criticism of the boba story is the heavy focus on flashbacks which made the present day suffer.

I do get your point on the Mando episodes to be fair. The writing I think wasn't as strong for Boba, sadly.

Definitely with you on that last point. Having the BD droid followed by the Naboo Starfighter was great.

Room to improve, and I'm sure it will.

NedStarksGhost

BearsEatBeets

I've not been keeping up to date with this thread but I'm curious what others have thought of the Bobba series. I can see some of you really liked it and that's great. I'll skip back through pages and have a look.
Unfortunately it didn't really land with me. I never really connected with why he was so eager to take control of the city or his drawn out time with the Tuskans learning to fight with a stick in a universe of blasters and laser swords. I certainly have no issue with any of the actors I just wasn't in to the story they gave the character. They had to do something else because I think it's possible many fans of the character from the original films were probably expecting something too similar to ground that they have now tread with Mando.

I almost dropped the series with episode 3 when we got the 'mod' characters and their moped speeder bikes. Of all the places for these characters to exist they live on a desolate, desert planet with their shiny speeders and posh suits. I cringed every time they were on screen. It was only because my brother said the next episodes were good I went back to it. I liked those but they were basically Mando episodes put in the middle. Unfortunately the last episode went back to cringe for me too often. Mostly due to heavily contrived action scenes. Little things like why did the spice people even come out for a street shootout when they had 2 robo-tanks coming? And the allies continuously running straight down the main street to get away from them, they deserved to be shot. Mando lying on the floor for Grogu to force save him when he has rocket pack on his pack. Bobba being able to swing a stick from behind his back while also on the floor quicker than Cad could pull the trigger aimed at his head.

I'm probably sounding like a very bitter 'fan' nitpicking every little detail but it's probably just because I never felt invested with the characters as much that these little type of things stood out for me and stopped me from truly enjoying it.

My main concern is the way all the series are seemingly going to be interlinked that any parts that anyone(namely me) doesn't enjoy can drag down the parts you do. Anyway that's just some rambling thoughts on it from me. I will keep open minded about future stuff but if it's not me so be it. I always have my four film sci-fi saga.😉

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

LtSarge

Considering you guys seem to like to talk about Star Wars a lot, I think it'd be a good idea to create a thread specifically for it.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge I’m sure you didn’t mean it but that’s one of the most passive aggressive comments I’ve seen in a long time 😂

LtSarge

@nessisonett Well I just didn't feel like writing anything more lol. But yeah, it happens every now and then where a thread is dominated by one subject and I just wanted to remind people that they could always create an own thread for that topic at that point.

LtSarge

BearsEatBeets

@LtSarge Well it's finished now so probably won't get much more on it, at least until the next Star Wars series comes along 😁.

But to aid in the matter, are there any Lee Child fans who have watched the Reacher series on Prime. I thought they did a pretty good job, certainly a lot better adaption than Tom's films. I ended up binging them over a couple of nights as I was always eager to watch the next one. The final episode veered a little bit too far from the book into contrived TV (I think, it was a while since I read it) but hope it does well and they make more. There are plenty of books to go and several episode series allow for much better adaptions than films.

BearsEatBeets

LtSarge

@BearsEatBeets I mean, I want you guys to keep talking, but I feel like it'd be more fitting to do so in a separate thread because there are so many people discussing about Star Wars that it's worth creating a new thread just for that. It makes sense considering we have a thread of Marvel, Star Trek and so on.

LtSarge

RogerRoger

Well, I'll keep this as brief as possible, then...

@NedStarksGhost Thanks for sharing your thoughts (and apologies if you felt "summoned" during a busy couple of days there, too). I think, as is often the case with Filoni's Star Wars, a lot of what we've just watched will come to make more sense in the future, as the wider structure and context of the ongoing story is revealed in other shows. There were plenty of wonky moments in The Clone Wars and Rebels, but they all led somewhere eventually, and I'm sure it'll be the same with The Book of Boba Fett (especially given how interconnected with The Mandalorian it ended up becoming by its end).

I think Cad Bane's still alive, by the way. They're gonna reveal that the beeping device on his chest serves a similar function to the breathing tubes on his face, and that it's something designed to keep him alive if he's ever dealt what would otherwise be a fatal blow. He's too canny for death!

And yeah, like we said a couple weeks ago, no matter what happens with the rest of the show, we'll always have that second episode! I'd watch it again all by itself. What a masterpiece!

@BearsEatBeets Sorry to see The Book of Boba Fett wasn't for you. Everything you've mentioned is fair game, and I'm grateful to you for offering up a counterpoint about the show. Some of your points I noticed myself and chose to live with / ignore / dismiss / let my inner fanboy explain away, and others I hadn't considered. I do think that the show wasn't as literal as it perhaps needed to be. A few well-written exchanges to explain motivations wouldn't have gone amiss, because the material's all there; it just goes unsaid. But then I'm coming at this as somebody who's watched nothing else the past seven weeks, and as a total nerd who obsessed over each episode, and there's a real danger in catering exclusively to that kind of audience. Here's hoping for a better, more balanced visit with Obi-Wan this summer!

I saw Amazon put up Reacher and thought about giving it a shot, but then I remembered that I only lasted the first episode-and-a-half of Jack Ryan, so got cold feet. Thanks for giving it a (mostly) positive write-up, because I'm more likely to add it to my watchlist now!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

NedStarksGhost

@RogerRoger don't worry I didn't feel summoned, I was excited to finally see it and discuss it!

Agree with you for sure, it's not been great, it's been a mix of decent and good, but it will undoubtedly make sense.

That would make sense about Cad Bane, I thought it would be odd to kill him so soon given his popularity and how tense he makes situations feel! Good shout

Great to discuss the series though every week, it's been an interesting one to talk about at least!

Edited on by NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

nessisonett

Love is Blind is the most horrifying dystopian dating show of all time. Absolute bottom barrel TV but a total guilty pleasure.

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger I certainly feel Filoni is digging into his Clone Wars history and maybe my unfamiliarity with all of that weakens my connections with this. I tried a couple of times with that and couldn't get into it, I remember an episode revolving around Jar Jar killed my interest last time. I recognised Cad Bane but didn't remember his name or know very little about him or his connection with Bobba.
I'm sure I'll give it another watch before the next Mando, maybe I'll be easier on it second time around.

It will be interesting where Kenobi goes, how many series do they want digging around Tatooine deserts. I suppose it makes for cheap sets 😄. For a planet furthest from the centre of the galaxy, a lot happens there.

If you're unfamiliar with the books Reacher is a very different character from Ryan and sourced from very different style of author (from what I know of Tom Clancy, I haven't read his stuff). The series does a pretty solid job I feel of portraying that character and it's got plenty of good reviews so far. It will all depend on if the character grabs your attention. A crude description would be if Sherlock Holmes were a modern day mountain of a man who had a lifetime of military training and hates injustice and bullies. I would certainly recommend anyone trying an episode or 2 to see they like it.

Edited on by BearsEatBeets

BearsEatBeets

RogerRoger

@NedStarksGhost Absolutely has been, yeah. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, and for asking me about mine after certain episodes, too! Here's to more Cad Bane someday!

Now that the dust has settled on this particular show, I'm not sure it makes sense to open up a dedicated Star Wars topic today, but I agree with @LtSarge and would hate to think I'd derailed anybody else's ongoing discussions. If we still don't have one by the time Obi-Wan Kenobi arrives, I'll probably end up creating one, and will give you (and other known fans) a tag when I do.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets If you want, I could throw together a list of "essential" episodes of The Clone Wars, so that you're able to skip some of its nonsense and get to the good stuff...?

There's a two-minute teaser interview thing floating around for Obi-Wan which shows some concept art over talking heads, and it looks like it won't be set on Tatooine the entire time. Whilst I love the planet, I do agree that it could end up oversaturated in these new shows, particularly since it's home to so many of the new supporting characters (the mechanic lady, for instance).

Oh yeah, my apologies, I just mentioned Jack Ryan as another Amazon action-intrigue show. I haven't read the Jack Reacher books, but watched the Tom Cruise movies with people who have, and so got a bit of perspective from them (whereas, on the flipside, I have read some Tom Clancy before, and yet generally prefer the movie adaptations of his work; I'm still waiting for a proper Rainbow Six period piece which, thanks to the games, we'll probably never get now).

Yeah, that's the beauty of streaming services, I suppose. I can just fire up an episode and see what I make of it, with no obligation to continue. As and when I do, I'll let you know what I think!

Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger If it's not too much hassle I'd be interested in that list ( I think you might have offered a long time ago), I've heard many a time it gets a lot better with the last series or two. Maybe it will be enough to get a point where maybe it hooks me in. It would certainly help for the Asoka series I'm sure.
Also I realised I didn't spoiler that name in my comment before so have corrected in case anyone hasn't watched them yet.

Whilst I enjoyed the Tom Cruise film (I only saw the first one) and think he's an fine actor and action star I think he should have realised he isn't suited to portray a protagonist where physical size is such an integral and defining characteristic. I'm curious what you and those that knew the books thought of the films. Despite not reading Clancy I've always liked Hunt for Red October and the Harrison Ford films. Funnily enough I've had the Prime series in my watchlist for ages and never got around to starting them. Some other series always seems to come along and take precedence. My watchlist backlog is as bad as my gaming one.

BearsEatBeets

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic