Untitled

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Brilliant 😂😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny Ha ha that is so funny! 🤣🤣

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny "I am bleedin' inevi'able, you mugs!"

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

Just finished season 2 of Marvel's Cloak and Dagger. I thought it was a good season. Not better than the first one, but good nonetheless. It felt a bit too slow-paced and the main villain was introduced kinda late in the season. But other than that, it was more Cloak and Dagger and I just love seeing the protagonists grow. Really hope they're making a third season, even if the show gets moved to Disney+. Speaking of which, I'm really glad I managed to watch through this show on HBO while I could considering that they're removing Marvel shows from HBO.

Don't know what I'll be watching next now. I've been watching through season 7 of The Walking Dead again just to refresh my memory of the events that have happened but I definitely don't want it as my main show until I get to the episodes that I haven't seen yet. So I might start up another superhero show, maybe Doom Patrol or Batwoman. Or perhaps I'll finally start up either True Detective or Westworld. I'll have to see what I feel like watching, there's just so much to choose from, lol.

LtSarge

Th3solution

@LtSarge It’s so weird how some shows are on different services here in the States vs in UK or Europe. I’d like to see Cloak and Dagger, but over here it’s locked on to Hulu, not HBO. I don’t know if it will get moved to Disney+ here too, in which case I’ll get a chance to watch, or if they keep it exclusive to Hulu (…which I think Disney owns?, or has some deal with?) and I refuse to add another streaming service right now.

——————

On an unrelated note, I saw advertisements plastered everywhere for a new show Invasion on AppleTV+. I know I had just been critical of Apple for not really marketing their TV service and their original content, so it’s nice to see them trying to get the word out on their new content. But this is the explanation of the show that comes with the ad —
“Earth is visited by an alien species that threatens humanity’s existence. Events unfold in real time through the eyes of five ordinary people across the globe as they struggle to make sense of the chaos unraveling around them.”

Ugh, that is the most generic sounding premise that one could ever come up with! That sounds like a thousand other shows and movies out there. The premise comes across as so bland that it didn’t even inspire me to watch the trailer. 😅 Maybe it will be a fabulous show, but it sounds pretty derivative at face value.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LtSarge

@Th3solution Yeah I think it's due to different deals in these regions. Not that it matters though because the shows will most likely be moved to Disney+ eventually. One show on HBO, Marvel's Inhumans, has already been removed and numerous Marvel TV shows on Netflix have been cancelled, most likely due to Disney's influence. I think Disney is trying to slowly move all of these to their service.

Granted, this will make me more interested in getting Disney+ if they could gather all Marvel shows from Netflix and HBO in one place, on top of their other shows, since I won't need to subscribe to both Netflix and HBO in order to enjoy those shows.

Out of curiosity, does HBO in the States still offer a lot of DC TV shows?

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@Th3solution @LtSarge all of marvel TV is on Disney+ over here in the UK except for the Netflix shows.

I don't think it was just the Netflix shows that got canned because of Disney+. I think the whole of Marvel TV got shuttered (including Netflix, AoS, Runaways, C&D) when Marvel Studios (the film division) decided to start making things in house.

The last thing to creep out of Marvel TV was one season of Helstrom which is on Disney+ over here.

I'm not sure if the original Netflix shows will ever come to Disney+ but I'm pretty sure that Disney can use the characters again now (I think they had a 2 year exclusivity after their last Netflix appearance). I don't know if they'd have to do a special deal like they did with Spider Man to get the actual original series on it.

See ya!

Th3solution

@LtSarge Yes, the US version of HBO Max service has loads of DC properties, including the TV and Movies. It has an enormous library of the DC animated shows. I started watching some but there are too many and can’t really get traction on getting into them since I know some of them inter-relate in a specific timeline. There are some DC Lego superhero cartoons, as well as other lighter fare too.

Interestingly they also have the old live action Lynda Carter Wonder Woman TV series too (from the 70-80’s, I think) but yet doesn’t have the old Adam West Batman live action series. The new TV shows like the CW network and Arrowverse content is fairly hit and miss too — it has Doom Patrol, Batwoman, Stargirl, and Supergirl but not Swamp Thing, for example. Also missing is the TV show Gotham (I think that’s stuck on Netflix if memory serves)

Strangely, I also see New Mutants on it — which is an X-men / Marvel property, I think.

It has all the modern DCU movies, of course, including the newest WW84 and Snyder Cut and had the new Suicide Squad on release for a month simultaneously with the theatrical release, like they’re doing for Dune, etc. But eventually I expect even the new Suicide Squad will be a permanent fixture like Birds of Prey, Joker, and all the other new movies that are all on it. It also has all the old Keaton Batman movies, and the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LtSarge

@Th3solution Oh wow, looks like you guys have tons of stuff that we don't have. But it also seems like we have things you don't, such as Swamp Thing, which is kinda odd. I wonder how much DC content is going to be added in a couple of days when we get HBO Max here.

Speaking of Doom Patrol, I started watching it yesterday and it's really interesting so far. It's basically Umbrella Academy, but DC. I'm very surprised though at how vulgar it is, are all DC shows like that? Like when I watch Marvel content, it will always be family-friendly not only because Disney owns it but because that's just how it is with Marvel stuff. I guess DC doesn't care about that much? Either way, very interesting show and I can't wait to watch more of it.

LtSarge

Th3solution

@LtSarge Yes, I see DC trending toward the more mature side. The latest movies like Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey, Joker have all embraced the mature content. TV shows too, especially with these HBO original shows. Doom Patrol, Titans, Watchmen — I think they are all pretty gritty. Plenty of violence, profanity, nudity, sex, etc. I think the CW / Arrowverse shows have maintained a more general target audience though and hold back a little. The animated shows are remarkably mature too; some are really violent and rated “R” (not sure what the European equivalent is … PEGI 18 I guess), but not all. It’s gotta be hard to be a parent and try to see which DC cartoons your little kids can watch.

As for the HBO produced DC shows, I have only watched the first 3-4 episodes of Doom Patrol and 2-3 episodes of Watchmen. I thought Doom Patrol was pretty good, but not great. I might go back to it but I was having a hard time connecting with the characters. Watchmen didn’t seem to hold my interest much.

Edited on by Th3solution

LtSarge

Well, HBO Max has finally arrived in Sweden and so far, I've honestly not noticed any major differences in terms of TV show offerings. But at least The Lord of the Rings trilogy is now available for me to watch. Will definitely have to watch it soon!

LtSarge

Th3solution

@LtSarge Will it be a first time watch or a re-watch?

LtSarge

@Th3solution First time! Never watched it before so I'm very excited to finally experience this franchise.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge The Lord of the Rings movies were what got my mum into high fantasy. My childhood would have been vastly different if she hadn’t gone to see them in the cinema! They really are brilliant, if only the 4K Blu-Rays weren’t so expensive.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@LtSarge Actually, now that you say that I remember now that I think we had the conversation about you not having seen them yet. Sorry about that; my memory fails me. 😄 Really excited to see how you like LotR.

HallowMoonshadow

I finally finished all 4 seasons of Castlevania and boy what a ride that was!

Season 3 thoughts

I saw the Sumi & Taka betrayal coming a mile away. Honestly when they first showed up I was like "That's not gonna end well... at all". And I was right! That scene with them seducing Alucard was quite uncomfortable though.

I liked the judge voiced by Jason Issacs. ...It has it's little pleasures indeed. Soon as you saw the scene of him being shifty as hell exiting that back room it thought was kinda obvious he'd done something to the kid who was running about he'd tslked to earlier in the episode... Still a spike pitfall trap? That was grim.

Whoever voiced Sala was really good and I heavily enjoyed Saint Germaine's addition to the cast. Issac certainly had an interesting arc over this season and I liked the fly Night Creature he talked with (I was happy to see him return in Season 4 for a scene!)

Season 4 thoughts

I didn't realise Varney (Of London) was voiced Malcolm McDowell thanks to that cockney accent (Though now I know it I can recognise it's him) and found him a very amusing character throughout the 4th season despite him being low level goon in the vampire council.

The fact they kept mentioning his repulsive stench as Varney only for the reveal of him turning out to be Death... That was good. I absolutely loved his design as Death with the top of his skull looking like a crown, still having the vampire fangs and generally quite imposing & had a fairly impressive plan with Germaine & resurrecting Dracula. He was especially intimdating after having absorbed the magic of the key for that final battle with Trevor!

Sypha was awesome as she has been the last two seasons in particular. Her learning lightning magic from studying the Night creatures using it on her was cool ... A shame she or Alucard didn't get to participate in the final battle though!

I didn't like her or Trevor's arc so much though this season though on dealing with Zamfir (Really didn't like her), Targoviste and the whole secret royale family thing. I'm sorry but it was pretty dang uninteresting. The opening episode was good and obviously nothing was wrong with the main characters themselves... But it felt sorta similar to last season (them trying to solve a mystery) but with more boring characters and setting.

I liked Alucard got to use his transformations/shapeshifting a lot more in this final season, in particular the penultimate episode. Just a vampire power I happen to like that doesn't seem to get used that much nowadays.

I liked his little arc over this season too of him "Becoming like Trevor" and hitting rock bottom before picking himself back up again after he (thankfully) didn't go completely off the deep end from his season 3 arc. Greta was cool too.

I loved Morana and Striga who ended up being quite conflicted by Carmilla's plan and just ended up running away together after her defeat! Plus Striga's Day Armour scene was pretty badass (kinda reminded me of the armour Guts eventually gets in Berserk). In fact in the finale I orginally thought the people running to the inn in the rain (That turned out to be Dracula and Lisa) was them!

Gotta admit the season finale did throw me for a loop by being so... happy lol. Dracula and Lisa being alive? Trevor surviving using the Dagger that was made to kill god? Yeah Lenore turned to dust... But that wasn't all that heartbreaking or anything. Surprised we never saw anything of Issac in that last episode but at least ma boi Hector is finally okay lol

Overall I really enjoyed Castlevania with some absolutely fantastic and lovely animation, bombastic fight scenes and I'm really rather interested to see what the spin off series'll be like!

... Maybe I'll even finally get round to trying some actual Castlevania titles!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

mookysam

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ooh I'm glad you liked the rest of Castlevania. That scene at the end of season three was particularly uncomfortable, veering into smutty Japanese visual novel territory. I was glad that Alucard didn't go completely over the edge following the events of season three, as it looked like he might have become more villanous.

In season four, Morana and Striga were great and I really enjoyed Striga's day armour fight scene too. It was nice how they decided to just up and leave, valuing each other more than anything else. I didn't really care when Lenore dusted herself in the daylight. What she did to Hector was evil, and he had developed some sort of Stockholm syndrome. Their relationship was toxic.

Carmilla's [spoiler]final scene was pretty thrilling! I liked that even in the end she refused to be dictated to by a man, and died the way she lived. It's a shame that Isaac wasn't in the final episode, as I'd have liked to see what happened after he became ruler of Styria, but overall I found his character arc very satisfying. His conversations with the fly demon were excellent, particularly in how they helped change his mind regarding mankind. And yesss Sypha is absolutely awesome. I loved her powerful spells, and the animations were so nicely done. The storyline with the dead royal family made me laugh more than anything. I didn't dislike it though, and found Varney quite a humorous character.

The finale caught me off guard too, but it was very nice to see Dracula and Lisa alive and happy again. I felt bad for Alucard, because although he arrived in a pretty decent place after all the horrible things he'd been through, I imagine he would have desperately wanted to see his parents again..

The show's made me want to play lots of Castlevania, so I'd say go ahead! Symphony of the Night might be in the PSN Halloween sale at the moment.

I watched all of Squid Game, with subtitles as live-action dubs do my head in. Excellent programme, imaginative and extremely well acted. This is the second Korean production I've seen this year that provides a razor-sharp critique of capitalism (the other was Parasite).

Episode Six was very emotional, if not brutal, which made the reveal at the end of the series a punch to the gut because we were made to care so much about the old man.

The part of episode six I found most upsetting was what Sang-woo did to Ali, which was just horrible. I'd already figured he was a snake, but that was just so cruel. It was beautiful how Sae-byeok opened up to Ji-yeong, and how they chose to spend their last half-hour talking like normal people, rather than scheming and one-upping the other. That made what happened after all the more upsetting..

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

LtSarge

@nessisonett Ah that's really cool to hear! I'm definitely looking forward to watching them now.

@Th3solution Haha yeah, it was earlier this month. Don't worry though, I don't expect people to remember every conversation we've had. Yeah, I'm really stoked to watch this series. Don't know when I'll do so, it will have to be like Indiana Jones where I just spontaneously got in the mood to watch the movies.

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic