Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 2,741 to 2,760 of 4,400

Th3solution

@LtSarge Definitely wait until the mood strikes, because the movies are pretty long. But the time flies by because the story is so engrossing, the acting is superb, the action is exciting, and the music is epic.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Iver Great thoughts, all and I’m glad you took to it so well. I recommended it to a couple co-workers this week and I did so with a caveat that it might not click with them due to the excess violence, brutality, and the need to read subtitles. It’s hard for me to judge who will really like it as much as I did because there is so much analysis of humanity that you described well, and some people aren’t willing to really ponder the messages and questions the show brings up.

I like your analysis though and I think you’re right about season 2.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

Doctor Who was a decent start I thought. Lots of threads set up for the rest of the series to explore, quite liked John Bishop, VFX are wayyyyy better than anything I’ve seen on Doctor Who before and the dog man was pretty cool actually. The sound mixing was woeful but other than that, I’m actually quite positive about it, which is more than I can say for most of Chibnall’s era.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

What. The. Everliving. F&#k. Was. That. Episode. Of. Doctor Who?

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I reckon that the general plan is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. For me, most of it was alright. Very much a first part out of many though, it’s quite hard to judge it without seeing the rest.

HallowMoonshadow

I f&$#king can @nessisonett!

That's without a doubt the worst piece of drivel I've ever had the displeasure of watching for Doctor Who. You couldn't pay me to watch any more of that. That was pure bloody nonsense! 😂

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

I honestly couldn't be happier that RTD is coming back to Doctor Who. Capaldi's last season was dreadful, and it just got worse once Whittaker took over the role. It'll be nice to actually look forward to watching this show again.

They really need to soft reboot the show again like they did with Whittaker.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Thrillho

I haven’t seen much of Whittaker Who other than the first couple of episodes. Those episodes didn’t do much for me, I found Bradley Walsh an odd companion, and it felt like there was a bit too much of an entourage going on. The move to the Sunday slot didn’t help and I’ve never felt compelled to catch up on it.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Ralizah I actually thought Capaldi’s last season was way better than the couple before that. The whole one with her from Game of Thrones was rubbish. At least the one with Bill as the companion had Heaven Sent which is probably the best New Who episode. Although it also had Matt Lucas.

Voltan

I decided to catch up on some Netflix tonight, for the first time in weeks, and… I guess I killed it. Sorry, everyone.

Voltan

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah I only started watching Doctor Who since David Tennant's run and then all way through to Capaldi’s last few episodes... and then completely lost interest for some reason. Not even looked at it since.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

@nessisonett Heaven Sent was season nine, I believe. That and the one after it (Hell Bent, I believe) were both fantastic episodes. Capaldi's entire run has been uneven, but his uncompromising characterization and sporadic good writing made the first two seasons worth watching.

Large swaths of his last season were profoundly forgettable, but the death stroke for me was the replacement of Clara Oswald (probably the strongest companion character in the reboot series to date) with Bill Potts and gag Nardole, the worst companions in the reboot series.

I was hopeful for Whittaker, since Capaldi's arc had crashed and burned by the end, but... my god, everything about her first season was awful. Forgettable side characters. The blandest doctor in memory (not sure if it was the choice of actress or the script she was given; kinda hope the next doctor is another woman so that when the show's quality inevitably improves now and more people start tuning in we don't get insufferable media screeds about audiences not liking Whittaker's run because of misogyny or something, like the media gaslighting over the failure of Ghostbusters 2016). Poor character writing. Preachy and sometimes moronic story writing (I'll never forget that one where the time-traveling white supremacist endeavored to stop the American civil rights movement from kicking off by... stopping Rosa Parks from getting on a bus 😂). The writers also made a conscious decision to soft reboot it and move away from almost all established aspects of the series' fun and rich mythology, which robbed that season of much of its identity. It didn't feel like Doctor Who. It was depressingly mediocre, and, frankly, after coming off Capaldi's last season, I just had enough and stopped watching. And, like a lot of Americans, I'd mainly discovered the property via the reboot and had been watching since Eccleston first kicked it off. I didn't like all of the doctors (Matt Smith still creeps me out, personally), but there was always something to love in the show. That indescribable quality that made it stand out from other TV science-fiction dramas. And that just disappeared, and I was done with it.

Really hoping they can re-capture the magic of the show before late-Capaldi.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Ah yeah, I’m getting mixed up because I hated most of that Capaldi season but those two episodes were a standout. Bill was a great companion imo, with loads more to give. Clara was just sooooo drawn out towards the end. There were some great episodes in that final Capaldi series like Knock Knock and I really enjoyed Thin Ice as well. Nardole is dreadful but then he still isn’t quite James Corden so there’s that. Whittaker’s time just hasn’t been good at all but I reckon it’s more that there isn’t as talented a writing pool on that show as there was 10-15 years ago. They need an equivalent of Moffat during RTD’s time who just put out great episode after great episode.

Ralizah

@nessisonett I... don't really expect they're going to find another writer of Moffat's stature any time soon. IMO, the best years of the show are probably long gone. But if they can fix the brain drain problem they've clearly suffered from in the writer's room, hopefully they can make sure the show watchable again, at least.

tbh I kinda feel bad Whittaker was never given the opportunity to have any good material to bounce off of (at least, based on what I watched, which was her first season; I've heard mixed things about the following two seasons, and, frankly, many of the "it gets better... kinda" rationalizations I've heard from other friends and family members who were also fans had a whiff of desperation to them). I also quite liked the first season of the reboot, and, frankly, Eccleston's doctor wasn't particularly magnetic.

Well, whatever. I'll always give a new doctor at least one season to sway me.

Edited on by Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

Never played League of Legends, but really dig the art style. Kinda like a handpainted water colour element to it.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Agreed. That looks pretty awesome. Don’t know much about League but this seems more Cyberpunk than fantasy.

nessisonett

Quite liked tonight’s Doctor Who. It was like an old-fashioned episode but still had ongoing plot attached. Nice to see a proper historical period being explored again.

colonelkilgore

We started Y: the Last Man this evening and are actually quite enjoying it. We had pretty low expectations given all the hate it’s received but we’ve been pleasantly surprised.

My memories of the graphic novels are vague but the TV show does seem quite different iirc… perhaps that is why there’s been so much negativity, I don’t know. Whatever is the case though, the missus and I are glad we gave it a shot.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore I loved the first 4 episodes and then found out it had been cancelled and stopped watching it. I would say that I have no idea why it’s receiving hate… but it was inevitable given the concept.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic