Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 2,361 to 2,380 of 4,472

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Good to hear about the Loki show. I think the Falcon show may have taken the wind out of the Marvel sails. Well, I’m sure the pandemic madness also hasn’t helped in halting momentum too. I found myself really enjoying WandaVision but then after watching one episode of Falcon, I just kind didn’t feel compelled to make it a priority. And you know how big a Marvel fan I’ve been. Even the new Black Widow movie has me feeling, “Eh, oh yeah — I forgot about that” whereas before I’d be champing at the bit to see it. I dunno, maybe it’s a me problem rather than an issue with the products themselves. Knowing Loki is turning out good has me motivated though to push on through Falcon.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Perhaps it's simply that Endgame was just too good an ending? Because I don't think you're alone in feeling a little tentative about the MCU's future.

I think the shift to streaming television shows hasn't helped, either. WandaVision was amazing but also felt like a bit of a one-shot novelty, a quirky curiosity of its own making, which is why I think I've been so surprised by Loki thusfar (again, it's not over yet; it could totally drop the ball at any minute). I don't blame you for walking away from Falcon & Winter Soldier. I respected its intentions, and I loved what it was setting up for the future, but the overall execution was just so... meh.

I'm sure the momentum will pick up as the pandemic starts to fade. Like you, I keep forgetting Black Widow is a thing, but the new Spider-Man movie sounds like a bonkers riot. Once the new faces have gotten themselves established, they'll be able to trade on more than just brand loyalty.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I’ve seen the first two episodes of Loki and while I’ve quite enjoyed it, it does feel a bit flat. Like might be a Covid thing but every scene feels kinda small, as if the set is a wee room and there’s about 4 people in it. The soundtrack’s great and Owen Wilson is brilliant as usual but yeah, it’s a weird one. Interesting to see Ravonna though, which makes me think this will massively tie into the next Ant-Man given who the baddie in that was confirmed to be.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@JohnnyShoulder yeah he does start off as a bit of a dingus but has a redemption arc. I don't know, it's quite understandable and somewhat relatable considering the stuff the character is going through

See ya!

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett There's a theory going around that THAT guy is supposed to be one of the Time Keepers based on that little animatic narrated by Miss Minutes and while I don't really find that plausible, bringing Renslayer in is definitely leading to that. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he ends up cameoing as a post-credits thing since they already cast Jonathan Majors

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry My current theory is that the Time Keepers are just completely made up. It’s a cover-up so that Kang can continue influencing the timeline to be beneficial towards him and his legacy.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett That honestly kind of works considering one of the topics this show really seems to be exploring is how it feels to be influenced by higher powers or how people in the TVA have more of a free will than those being dictated by them on other worlds. Considering Lady Loki seems to have an end goal of literally destroying all of time and space continuity based on the last episode, that might be a front to the truth about what the Time Keepers actually are

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I'd had the same thought, but in a different way. Whenever I know something's been produced during the pandemic, I subconsciously look for signs of CGI cheating in crowd shots. Sometimes they're obvious, sometimes they're seamless, but today's episode of Loki had a few moments that unfortunately fell into the former category. Now that you've flipped that thinking on its head, you're right, the first two episodes were very intimate for an MCU adventure!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger CGI cheating isn't new to pandemic productions! I've been on some films where they stitch together shots of the same big crowd multiple times to make it look like an even bigger crowd. (War Horse)

I've even been on one film where they literally filmed us walking individually or in pairs in front of a green screen on a treadmill that had been painted green! (Victor Frankenstein) so they could insert us in to shots later in production!

Then there's practical cheating methods too. Lookalikes etc

I know that's not exactly what you mean for the covid restrictions etc but it seems like they use the same/similar/adapted methods only much more frequently!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

Watched after life S2 last night and boy did moments of it have me hiding tears from my partner sitting on the sofa next to me. Brilliant show!

Started watching Father Ted on BritBox too. Have to watch it on the computer because BritBox doesn't have an app for PLaystation or Xbox. I just don't understand it, probably won't let my sub renew for that if I have to watch things on the computer instead of the TV

See ya!

HallowMoonshadow

Isn't Father Ted available for free on All4 or whatever the channel 4 streaming app is @ralphdibny? Though those adverts can be quite obnoxious on that

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ralphdibny

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy yes adverts 😤😤😤 😂😂😂

Can't stand them! I remember it taking an hour and a half to watch a 42 minute episode of agents of shield on 4OD or all 4 or whatever it's called lol. I've just given up on it.

To be fair, sometimes there were no adverts whatsoever but sometimes there were more than you would get watching it on TV. It's just a weird streaming service.

I might just have to pick up the DVDs of some of these older British comedies to watch when I'm feeling low. Can be difficult with the really really old ones like Dad's Army where there are lost episodes and then they find some more and you don't know what DVDs have the most complete records of the show 😅

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Oh yeah, just like teleconferencing, crowd amplification is an old trick made new by necessity. I just keep an eye out for it because, also like teleconferencing, you can spot those who haven't had to use it before, and are therefore playing catch-up with noticeable results.

Awesome that you've done some greenscreen work before, though! I knew you'd been an extra before, but your experience on Victor Frankenstein in particular sounds quite involved!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger haha it wasn't that involved really 😅. I did a few days on it here and there, people were joking/worried that the the green screen treadmill would be the end of the extra as a whole. The set kept burning down or something so filming was heavily delayed and I don't think I could have done more than ten days on it, all in.

I've looked for myself in the scenes that I know I was there for. I can't remember if I found myself though. I didn't watch the whole thing and look for any green screen insertions of myself though, It would probably take days to do for very little result 😅

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Jeez, that sounds like a troubled production! Suppose that's always the temptation, isn't it? To freeze every crowd shot and scour it for your face. Just so long as you don't become an infamous extra, then nobody would hire you, you'd be too obvious!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger I tend to do it more nowadays if I know where I am going to be in a film or TV show. It's actually a bit harder to do in TV because it will be random episodes so they are harder to find!

I have the potential for infamosity from one role. I don't think anyones noticed it though so should be ok. Not sure if I can send screenshots/YouTube clips over PSN but I'll look into it next week and send it over if I can. It is actually ridiculous 😅. Can't post here because it will reveal both my true identity and also raise my infamous profile haha.

I've changed my look a lot over the years though (through both laziness and necessity) so I look quite different in things that have come out over the years anyway!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Yeah, and if they're shooting you as a generic individual against a greenscreen, you could literally be inserted into any shot. Better to be in the background of a specific scene, I'd imagine!

Am totally imagining an Agent 47 situation with you now. I'll get sent a dozen pictures of the same chap wearing a bunch of different disguises, each more outlandish than the next. You'll be the next big crossover event, where they zoom in and say "Look, he was there all along!"

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger what, like Tuvok in Star Trek 6 or whichever it was? 😂 I wish! Nah, there's just one specific scene in a film I was in that was notorious for a while for bizarre reasons. I'll try to explain it better over PSN. It's probably not that exciting really, I just find it quite funny because i was in it. I doubt anyone else would give a monkeys about it to be honest!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Yeah, that's the one!

I'll be sure to check my PSN messages at some point during the coming week, then!

Making It So Since 1987

zupertramp

@RogerRoger @ralphdibny

Are you ever following along with a conversation going in the forum but have nothing to add but then feel weird for coming in out of nowhere to talk about something else? Lol, anyway, just wondering if I'm the only one. I am curious about this bizarrely noteworthy extra role though.
And yeah, caught up on Loki. I'm starting to think these characters just fit the superficial blockbuster formula better because this watching superheroes/villains walk around and talk and get turned down for bank loans and talk some more and take out generic train security guards is kinda boring for me.

Also the rules in Loki make no sense. So that's bothersome.

And last thing...I don't think they could have found a more bland counter Loki if they'd tried. Disney confuses me. They get a half Columbian half Polish chick to play the whitest character in animation history and then the blandest white chick in the world to play a character who could have been played by anyone.

Ah well.

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic