Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 2,341 to 2,360 of 4,463

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Yeah we’ve got tons on Disney+ they don’t get in the States. I’ve binged the first season of Angel already!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

So Netflix have already cancelled Jupiter's Legacy. Don't think it's even been out a month.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Welp, guess I’ll scratch that one off the list. Not gonna waste my time with watching that then.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

zupertramp

@ralphdibny yeah I don't see most of the jokes as being too harmful but I could see why people of a younger age might cringe a little. Like with Todd, for example. Or Kelso.

And unrelated to that but watching Christa Miller grow more and more plastic with each season is kinda sad.

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Jimmer-jammer

I’ve watched the first two episodes of Sweet Tooth and I am quite conflicted. It’s clearly a well made show with a lot of heart, and I am trying to enjoy it for what it is, it’s just not really what the comic was. I’ll have to see how it all plays out before forming a final opinion of course but so far it’s been a weird watch for me.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

JohnnyShoulder

@Jimmer-jammer I too find it really weird when a comic book I've read gets made into a TV show or film, as it is initially difficult to get my head round some of the the changes.

I can remember when Preacher first aired and it took me a few episodes to get used to the casting of Tulip, but I soon warmed to her as they got her personality pretty much bang on.

I've been quite lucky in that respect as only The Boys and Preacher have been made, and I've been really happy with the final product. Everything else has already been made into a TV show or film by the time I've read the comics.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder I knew nothing about Preacher going in but I loved Ruth Negga as Tulip so it's interesting to hear that.

I take it she looks entirely different in the comics.

One thing I will say is I feel like they, idk, neutered her in the second season (or was that the third?) so I'm curious if that tracks with the comics?

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Jimmer-jammer

@JohnnyShoulder interesting. I’ve yet to see Preacher but it looks cool. I feel like I will probably warm up to Sweet Tooth, it’s just a lot more processing than I was expecting. The tone is a lot lighter than the comics and some things are just...different but it’s all good. It’d be somewhat similar to watching a family friendly, lighthearted show of The Last of Us. It doesn’t make it bad, just...not exactly what The Last of Us is. So far all of the casting has been bang on. Honestly my biggest nitpick is turning Jeppard in to a football player instead of a hockey player...

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

zupertramp

Lol.

The Hallmark Channel presents... The Last of Us.

colonelkilgore

The missus and I bunged Sweet Tooth yesterday. We liked it. The ending was a bit anticlimactic as it just kinda sets up the next season but was good all things considered. Very apt what with pandemics and such too

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp @Jimmer-jammer Admittedly, I've not finish the Preacher comics yet, think I have a couple of the TP collections to go, but no I don't recall Tulip's softer edges coming through that much, and yeah she looks totally different in the TV show. All the other characters were pretty much spot on though.

When I'm watching something like this, I'm not expecting them to follow the story and character arcs 100%, just that they get the tone from the source material right. There is things from Preacher and The Boys comics that I do not think could be filmed, and they are already quite graphic in terms of violence and stuff.

Jimmer-jammer

@JohnnyShoulder fair enough. I’m usually pretty good for being open to this kind of stuff, I think I’ve just had such a defined vision in my head of this world and story that it’s been an adjustment. I’m getting over it and am enjoying it now. Almost done the season. As @colonelkilgore said, it’s really quite enjoyable. I hope it goes all the way as a lot goes down in the series. Thanks for the laugh @zupertramp!

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder @Jimmer-jammer I’m a huge Preacher comic book fan but, while I watched the whole tv show through... I couldn’t say I enjoyed it much. They nailed Cassidy... but not much else IMO.

**** DLC!

RR529

Cutie Honey Universe (HiDive via VRV) - Reboot of a classic Go Nagai (Mazinger Z, Devilman) property, that follows Honey Kusaragi, a seemingly average high school student who is really the magical girl superhero Cutie Honey (and can take on other forms as well, such as the biker persona Hurricane Honey), who battles a terror group of female beast people called Panther Claw.

It was okay, but I wasn't terribly enthralled by it. Though it did have some cool action scenes, in general it had a feeling of cheapness about it, I didn't care for the general enemy design, and most of it's attempts at humour didn't click for me. That, and you'd have to have a unique taste in fanservice (the standard transformation & bathing scenes are one thing, but it also has a bit of a masochistic bent with female characters often getting their clothes torn off by whip, including leaving marks, if not by that episode's villain, than by the surprisingly harsh teachers at the school).

Invincible season 1 (Amazon Prime Video) - Mark is your average high schooler, except that his dad is Omni-Man (the "Superman" like figure in this world of superheroes), and when he finally develops his own powers he's eager to get his start in on the family business, however pops' mission on Earth is quickly revealed (to the audience) to be not so benevolent, and there's only one other person on Earth who, might, be able to go toe to toe with him.

This was actually pretty good. Much of the character design screams "Justice League" knockoff, but that's pretty obviously intentional, but the show is varied by it's intense action sequences (which are often very gory), and the unravelling drama of Omni-Man's family & co-workers slowly discovering his secret. There's also some personal romance drama centered around Mark that's not as interesting.

the Sacred Blacksmith (Funimation) - Medieval fantasy series that focuses on young knight Cecily Campbell & how she gets mixed up in the affairs of the blacksmith Luke, the only one in town who can forge Katanas (blades much superior to what people usually carry around). However he has a chip on his shoulder & refuses to make any more, and Cecily gets dragged into a decades long struggle involving demons, magical demon swords, & more.

I remember watching this a long time ago back when I was still watching anime via unofficial means and really liking it, and I still really enjoyed it. It's generally animated quite well with a few fantastic action sequences, I liked the character design overall, and it has the right mix of light hearted humor, surprisingly dark moments, and light fanservice that I think would go over well with fans of shows like Is it Wrong to try & Pick up Girls in a Dungeon? Unfortunately it clearly didn't hit it's mark back when it aired & it only has one season, with plenty of plot threads left dangling.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

ralphdibny

Watched through the office last week and extras this week. Such brilliant shows, had me cracking up. I always felt like Gervais fell off a bit after that but I have heard After Life is good so I might give that a try at some point soonish.

Just lookin at what Gervais stuff is available on Netflix, I think I've seen the first two movies and I don't remember them being very good. I haven't seen that special correspondents. I remember watching a bit of Derek when it came out on channel 4 and thinking it could have been good if Gervais hadn't used a similar persona as a joke in previous shows. Was a bit cringey but not in a good way. Might give it another go when extras is less fresh in my mind and maybe it will gel with me a bit better. It looks like a good show, just not a good show for Gervais to be in. Might just be too depressing, I mean extras and the office are depressing too but they laugh at how pointless life is so they are mega funny.

Also watched the first two eps of Loki last night. Enjoyed it, it is good so far. Bit similar to legends of tomorrow I guess but I am excited to see where it goes.

See ya!

nessisonett

That Sean Bean prison thing was proper good. Now I want a second season directed by Guy Ritchie like Prison Break UK.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

zupertramp

Been spending the past month rewatching all seasons of Better Call Saul. Really phenomenal show. It's possibly better than Breaking Bad imo. At times it's a heist show. Other times a court room drama. There's plenty of subtle social commentary mixed in, which I don't really recall of Breaking Bad (but in fairness it's been awhile). Plenty of humor, some dark some not. And the multiple character studies at the heart of the show are just so incredibly compelling. I honestly don't know how every arc seems to maintain the same level of quality.

Anyway, just found that I had a much deeper appreciation for the show on my second watch. I also want to know where Rhea Seehorn has been all this time. She's really incredible. Michael Mando too. Just recently found out he's Canadian which was a bit of a shock to me. Gilligan and Gould probably deserve much of the credit but in any case, I look forward to seeing many of these actors in other projects.

ralphdibny

Watched The IT Crowd over the last few days/weekend. It's not top tier comedy for me but it's still really funny. Not as good as Father Ted.

Just watched the first season of After Life, blimmin' brilliant! Really glad I watched it. It's really sad but also really funny, it's a good mix. Can't wait to watch season 2 tomorrow.

I was thinking of getting a trial of that BritBox streaming service so I can watch Father Ted. Free trial for 30 days then there's an offer for 2.99/month after that for 3 months. One problem, no app on Xbox or PlayStation... What is the point lol. Aparently there's an app for Roku so I'll have to see if my partner's nowTV box can get it as I believe they are branded rokus. Not that I could watch it when I get home though 😅. Maybe I can find a currently unused Chromecast knocking about in a drawer at home somewhere

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny After Life was really good. I didn't like it at first as I found Ricky Gervais' character quite unlikeable, but I think that was intentional as you warm to him the more the season goes on.

RogerRoger

Surprised to see few people mention Loki, which reached its halfway point today. I went in expecting to find it supremely average (Loki was always one of those "also there" characters for me) so was pleasantly surprised by its quality. Methinks it's gonna end up sitting comfortably between WandaVision and Falcon & the Winter Soldier, in that it isn't quite as good as the former, but it's a lot better than the latter, but there's obviously still three weeks for it to all fall apart.

And speaking of halfway points, Star Wars: The Bad Batch has been amazing these past few weeks and, despite not needing one, its mid-season cliffhanger was a belter. Can't wait for Friday!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic