Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 2,001 to 2,020 of 4,400

zupertramp

Well I finally finished my abridged MCU marathon (partially for a refresher before starting WandaVision but also because I'd been playing the Avengers game and it mostly just left me wanting to see the movies again) and have now caught up on the first three episodes of WandaVision.

So it's not horrible but at the same time it feels a little derivative. Kind of Pleasantville, Truman Show, Wayward Pines, The Village, Stepford Wives, Edward Scissorhands, Suburbicon vibes or something. I mean we'll see where it goes but I can't imagine it goes any place that shocking. Not to say a mystery is all about its destination but having a fascinating and unexpected destination does help. That said I'm half watching out of curiosity. But then half watching because I'm worried I'll miss something relevant to the broader MCU if I skip this. Basically the same reasons I sat through Dr. Strange.

Enjoying Servant though. Nice to see Rupert Grint in something.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

Man, I’m amazed at how much I got right about WandaVision’s plot. That was a brilliant episode this week.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

I got a month trial of Disney + as a game pass perk and finally watched WandaVision!

It's weird, I didn't really dig the sitcom vibe until the climax of episode 1. But that kind of made it weirder because it was like a 30 minute build up to a dramatic and troubling moment. It was almost like a short film in structure but way too long in its build up.

As always, Paul Bettany is just great in this show and seems to be having a lot of fun. Olsen seems to be coming out of her shell a bit too, a shell that was necessitated by being a bit player in crowded 2 hour movies in the past. Both of them were great in the talent show episode.

I really thought episode 4 was great too as it seemed to explain more what was going on. I think it's just one of those shows you have to stick with past the bizarre opening episodes to get to the crux of the matter. I'm not sure if it would work better as a film, or if the first couple of episodes were merged into one.

I definitely think this show would be super confusing if you hadn't watched Avengers AoU, Captain America Civil War, Avengers Infinity War and Endgame though.

All I can say is that Vision is still my favourite character and I really hope he makes it out of this show alive, even if it is only a magical recreation of himself. Though I suspect he won't because it's more dramatic to have dead characters in television so I imagine it's going to end up being a bittersweet swan song for the character.

Other thoughts on Disney+: I've messed around with the app and found you can see a Disney through the decades section but I think it would be nice to be able to sort other collections or search terms by release date. Especially as an archival tool for silly symphonies or the Pixar shorts/films. Obviously these titles are more educational than entertaining (though many are still quite entertaining!) So it would be nice to watch them in release order without looking at a list on Wikipedia.

I had to mess around to find it but there is an option to switch the Simpsons to 4:3. Doubt I'll be using my free month to watch the Simpsons though.

So far I've watched the original chip n dale short, the first episode of Doug and Wandavision. I always thought I used to watch Doug on Nickelodeon and when I looked it up it turns out that Disney took over from season 5 so it's actually the last 3 seasons that are on the service. It would be nice if they added the previous 5 but god knows who has the rights to them.

It's good to see Darkwing Duck and Timon and Pumba on there. It would be good if they added the Hercules and Aladdin TV series from the Disney channel too. I also had no idea DuckTales had that many episodes! I'm not sure how much watching I'll get it in during this month!

Good to see the silver surfer series on there too, I think it's the only 90s marvel cartoon I don't have on dvd because it's quite rare so I'll probably give that a watch.

I should also add that it was quite funny seeing references to Charlie Brown, Arthur! and Citizen Kane in the episode of Doug I watched. I used to love Recess too so I might give that a watch

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

colonelkilgore

So the missus and I were scratching about looking for things to watch until Wanda Vision has aired in its entirety. We watched Its a Sin yesterday... and it was fantastic. One of the most emotionally powerful things I have seen in a long time.

We have started Carnival Row today, just the 3 eps deep right now but liking it. Cool world and lore presented with movie-like production values.

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore I’ve been watching It’s A Sin as well, I’m watching it weekly though. It really has been fantastic and I worry that it’s only going to get more depressing.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett well episode 3 absolutely slayed me, I was in bits by the end... the final ep also packed an emotional punch and was a great if intentionally sad climax to the series in general... but I don’t think anything will touch me the way episode 3 did for a long, long time. How far through it are you?

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore Episode 2 was on Friday so I guess I’ll have to prepare myself for this week’s episode 😬

nessisonett

I am now onto the latest seasons of the Arrowverse, somewhat worryingly. This means I’ve started Batwoman, which I watched at the time out of context and dropped off. I actually don’t mind it. Yeah, Ruby Rose is a literal block of wood but Gotham’s actually pretty well realised and the angle of a missing/retired Batman is refreshing. Arrow’s been incredible so far too, which is good as seasons 6 and 7 were pretty dire. Black Lightning’s been pretty confusing but I do love the cast and then Flash/Supergirl have been more of the same - sorta bland and a bit stale. Really looking forward to Crisis though.

BearsEatBeets

Okay so I'm caught up on Wandavision now (up to Ep.4) and it's become more interesting to me now. I'm not familiar with SWORD or know any significance of the Billy and Tommy names so unlike some of you have no clues at what this is hinting towards. But that's good as while I haven't found it the most entertaining of shows it certainly is intriguing and I'm invested enough in the MCU to want to see where it's going.

They are spreading it out though, half hour episodes and about 7 minutes of that is credits.

On a seperate note I've finally got back around to watching Stranger Things after starting it ages ago then kind of forgetting about it. Just finished the first season and think it was excellent. It is much darker than I thought it was going to be but it really pulled me in. I'm on a 2 week hol now so will probably smash through the second season over the next few days. Hopefully it maintains the level of the first.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

zupertramp

@BearsEatBeets My opinion is the level of quality only slightly drops in the second season, and I'll admit that's definitely up for debate, but takes a nosedive for the third.

I'm interested to see how others feel about it though.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets @zupertramp First season was fantastic, second season had a bit of dip in the middle chunk of episodes but improved towards the end. The showrunners/writers admitted this was a mistake. The third season was almost as good as the first but not quite upto those high standards. I know people that preferred it however, so it is all down to personal preference. Kinda like how some prefer Aliens over Alien, both brilliant but very much different types of movie.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets @zupertramp @JohnnyShoulder I really enjoyed the third season, perhaps by virtue of it being the third season; I'd started to care about the individual characters as much as the events surrounding them, so the tonal tweaks felt right (trying to be vague and avoid spoilers, so I hope you know what I mean). My partner and I binged the whole lot over a couple of weekends, which probably played a part, as well. If I had to rank the seasons, I'd say one, then three, then two.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

zupertramp

Oof gave a long response with spoiler tags but then nothing was hidden when I hit post. so that sucks. I'll come back to this when i feel like retyping all that again lol.

Was gonna post a picture here but thought better of it because I guess it's kinda mildly spoiler-ish. So it's in the art thread.

Edited on by zupertramp

Thrillho

I really liked the third series of Stranger Things.

The first was excellent as something new and brilliantly acted. The second was still really good but dragged a little. The third kept it interesting having multiple parallel stories so it didn’t feel like it was being dragged out.

Thrillho

ralphdibny

Holy bloody smokes, the newest episode of WandaVision. I just want to talk about it but I really don't want to spoil it. I am glad I got to watch it when it came out though, this is definitely the sort of spoiler that's will be all over the net before the end of tomorrow.

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Yeah, I got spoiled because a certain character’s name was trending hours before I watched it. It’s such a good reveal as well!!!

ralphdibny

@nessisonett my jaw just dropped, I couldn't believe it! I've been looking for a new comics news site for a while now but I think I'm sort of glad I hadn't found one just yet because that sort of moment in a show is just one you won't get back.

I guess I'm lucky I only go on PS, PX and NL!

See ya!

Th3solution

Yeah, WandaVision is getting pretty interesting. And now after episode 5, I feel silly for thinking Elizabeth Olsen was just giving up on trying to speak in a Slavic accent, as now it’s evident the character Wanda speaks like an American while playing her part in her “show” life and went back into her Sokovian accent when she breaks character and left the bubble. So it was a conscious decision to sound differently I guess.
But anyways, it’s a good show. I wonder how they’ll keep it going.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution I wish she just dumped the accent. I thought Supergirl’s Red Daughter Russian accent was bad but Elizabeth Olsen takes the cake!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic