Forums

Topic: The Resident Evil Discussion Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 200

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Thank you! Yeah, I noticed that second trilogy bundle was part of the current sale, and gave it some serious thought. I think I'm gonna wait a bit, though. Whilst I did enjoy Resi 3, it didn't leave me wanting more, at least not right away. My itch was scratched. There's also the issue that the further I progress, the better (and therefore the more effective) the presentation will become, and that could end up being an enjoyment roadblock by the time I get to Resi 6. There's a hokey charm about the PSone era that disarms a lot of the horror genre's tension and dampens my revulsion. But I am interested. Will keep an eye on future sales (because from what I gather, that trilogy bundle gets itself reduced quite often) and I appreciate the heads-up about October's Game Club, too! That'd be cool, if possible!

@LtSarge My thanks! You're a far braver person than I if you're considering those remakes! Although I'm sure it'll be great fun to see how they've tweaked and expanded the originals.

Sorry to hear that Separate Ways wasn't much to write home about, even though you still managed to squeeze some fun from it. You mentioned the story in Resi 4 was basically put on hold for much of the game's second half, so it's a shame they couldn't flesh it out more.

Nevertheless, I hope you continue to enjoy your journey through the series!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

Well it took me several months but I finally managed to beat Resident Evil 5. I thought it was a good game! It wasn't a traditional RE experience but I still enjoyed it a lot. You get to play as Chris and meet familiar characters like Jill, Wesker and even Spencer. The game had more RE characters and lore than RE4. I mean, just having Wesker alone in the game and him showing up as much as he does is an absolute treat. He's definitely one of my favourite video game villains ever.

The story is absolutely bonkers for an RE game. They definitely take it to the next level with the enemies, specifically the bosses. There wasn't much enemy variety in general though and when new enemies were introduced, they didn't feel like anything special. Not like the ones in RE4, which were varied and interesting.

Since the game focuses more on action and co-op, the design took a hard hit. The level design for instance is bad. The levels were very linear and uninspiring. Moreover, it was quite annoying having a character follow you around everywhere since she would constantly get in my way. Granted, I think Capcom did a good job with the AI in terms of having her avoid getting hurt. It was also nice to have extra inventory slots by giving her items to hold. So ultimately, it worked out well enough.

Even though RE5 deviates from the series' survival horror roots, it was still a good and fun game. It plays just like RE4 in terms of controls and mechanics, which is why it's so much fun. Furthermore, I liked that the story delivered familiar characters and tons of lore. It was definitely worth playing through this entry and I'm looking forward to experiencing its two DLC stories.

On a side note, I still can't believe that I've played through like nine RE games now. Just a couple of years ago, I hadn't even played a single RE title and now I'm halfway through this series. Still got tons more games to go and I think I'll be playing Code Veronica X next since RE5 mentioned it heavily and it's been quite some time since I had an old school RE experience. And after that I get to finally play The Darkside Chronicles, which I'm very excited for. On top of these two titles, I have the two Revelations games, RE6, RE7, RE8 as well as RE2, RE3 and RE4 remakes. I won't be running out of RE games to play anytime soon!

LtSarge

sorteddan

@LtSarge
Glad you got through it in the end. I re-played it a few months back and enjoyed it all over again (maybe a decade after the first time). It's much better than a lot of its detractors make out, though that criticism was kind of understandable given how far the gameplay had strayed from the series origins. If you know what you are getting then it is a fun action game (better in co-op) with some inventory management and survival horror tendencies - like never having enough healing stuff or ammo.

I still have RE6 installed on the PS4 but am in no hurry to get to it, I really don't have good memories of that one like I did 4 & 5. Also have Village on the PS5 that I will more likely get to in the near(er) future. Not sure I could go all in on the series like you have but happy that you have found some love for the franchise, albeit belatedly.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

SillyBoyJudas

I began RE7: Biohazard. But it's too scary for me to get through. I usually am never a gamer that's into scary games but gave it a chance due to it being on PS Plus on the ratings behind it. But nope, whether highly reviewed or one of the best video games of this genre, I just cannot.

SillyBoyJudas

PSN: SillyBoyJudas

oliverp

@LtSarge Congrats on beating Resident Evil 5. Nice achievement. Its quite funny because I more less grow up with the more action oriented Resident Evil games having to learn about the series past later. Can still remember that Resident Evil 5 was the second RE I played (with Resident Evil 4 being one of the first action games I was allowed to play).

I personally think Capcom did an very good job with in general with Al in Resident Evil 5 given how hard Al design is. I mean I can personally not think of many games that have much better AI then RE5 so I like always have found the complains a bit strange. Given things I would found it quite awesome if Capcom would decide to do a remake of Resident Evil 5.

Very cool thread btw. It would be cool to see a more active Resident community here. As mentioned elsewhere I have this year had blast playing the Resident Evil 2 Remake on PS5 (its such a nice game).

@SillyBoyJudas Feel sorry for you as I personally think its an excellent game.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

LtSarge

@sorteddan While I did enjoy RE5 for what it is, I definitely don't miss that period of Resident Evil's history. I much prefer the survival horror games and I'm glad that Capcom is pumping out one hit after the other with this franchise lately.

I'm actually looking forward to RE6. While it seems to be over-the-top action, at least it has a lot of familiar characters that you know and love. So it will be for the same reason why I enjoyed RE5: for its characters and lore. And I mean, it's kind of a breath of fresh air after experiencing the same formula for numerous iterations. Then when I'm done with it, RE7 (and other titles) will feel like a breath of fresh air. So it works out quite nicely!

@oliverp Thanks! Yeah I also pretty much grew up with action RE titles, with RE4 technically being the first game I played in the series but I never played through it to completion. I only played it for a couple of hours on the Wii. I definitely have more of an appreciation for these games over a decade later.

It's going to be interesting to see which RE game Capcom will remake next. A lot of people are wishing for Code Veronica and I can see that happening. It's an important chapter in the RE story-line but it doesn't hold up as well today in terms of gameplay. While I've come to like RE games that have tank controls, I don't think others like them as much. So I think they might go for Code Veronica next. Especially since I don't think Capcom wants to go back to action-oriented RE games again.

Yeah, I play one RE game every year it seems like and I'm experiencing this series for the first time. It's definitely one of my favourite horror franchises simply because of how long it's been going on for. There's just so much to these games and I love it! Can't wait to start up Code Veronica X next, which might not be for quite a while or at least until Halloween.

So I just finished both DLC stories for RE5. My favourite is easily Lost in Nightmares since it reminded me a lot of the first game. I just don't understand though why they give you so many weapons and so much ammo when there are very few enemies in the DLC. Definitely a missed opportunity. Desperate Escape on the other hand had tons of enemies and it was fun but not particularly memorable. At least it was great to finally play as Jill!

Overall, I'm glad to have experienced RE5 but I'm happy to be done with it now.

LtSarge

oliverp

Is there anyone more then me who find it interesting that the Resident Evil 2 remake seemed to have been more well received then Resident Evil 3 remake? I say this because while I think the 2 remake is a slightly better game I think the Resident Evil 3 remake holds up quite well to.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

kyleforrester87

@oliverp well, if you look at the original versions of RE2 and RE3, the second is generally viewed as being superior. 3 was always more of a contractual obligation, with a RE2.5 feeling. I think more people view this as being the natural order of things and approached the remakes with the same mindset.

As for the remakes themselves, certainly on paper RE2 Remake is the better game - a bit more freedom to explore in general and the random ingenuity of Mr X. Plus 2 scenarios to play through.

RE3 Remake on the other hand was more linear, the Nemesis sections were entirely scripted and it was shorter with no additional scenarios.

In reality, I preferred 3 - both the originals and the remakes. Jill is my girl, the scripted Nemesis stuff is better than Mr X (who just got annoying IMO) and I liked being outside exploring more of Racoon City. But I think 2 will always generally be viewed as the better game by the masses, and I can’t argue with that too much.

All 4 are great games, though.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

oliverp

@kyleforrester87 Yeah it will be very interesting to see what Capcom does after the Resident Evil 4 Remake. Are otherwise very glad because I just beat the Resident Evil 2 remake on hardcore mode for the first time which feels great because I did put some efforts into it and I did not find as an very easy task. Its funny because I find the Resident Evil games so good that I times feels like I do not need to play that many other games hehe. There is often quite a lot of stuff to do in them hehe.

oliverp

Bentleyma

Might as well post my old Resident Evil 4 fan film, what with the Resident Evil 4 Remake coming out this week. You might of seen it.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

Bentleyma

@kyleforrester87 Thanks, It’s quite popular. The original video has over 5,000,000 views and got mentioned by Capcom on their Capcom Unity site, along with our spoof of the first game.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

Pizzamorg

The RE4 demo didn't really blow me away, but it feels like a crazy dry period for games after the year opened really hot, so I ended up keeping my preorder anyway. Playing on PC which is why I am using this thread.

I have played like an hour and a half, enough to clear the first two chapters, and I am having an absolute blast. I feel like the demo made the game feel a lot more survival horrory than the actual game is, like you get through that encounter that closes the demo out and from there it is like an all action movie and I mean that in the best possible way.

Ammo flows readily and you quickly settle in to that crazy satisfying loop of headshots and roundhouse kicks. Combat almost feels like it has somewhat like immersive sim elements as you can look shoot enemies off of ledges, lure them into traps, lure them into each other or do things like shoot an explosive in someone's hand to set it off etc

I've also had so much fun with the generous knife parrying and the chainsaw v knife duels. And I experienced all of this just in those first two chapters!

Only complaints I really have right now, is while Leon controls better than he did in the original, he still feels awkwardly stiff when the going gets hot. When you're starting to get overwhelmed it can feel really clunky to just try and get away, Leon also sprints so slowly I sometimes wonder if the button is bugging out.

I also set the game to headphones, as that is what I use, but I often find the audio isn't really great at telegraphing where enemies are going to come from. I am not sure if some of this is by design for the horror element or whatever, but it got pretty annoying more than it became scary, to be spinning around on the spot trying to work out where the enemies are coming from. I also assume now because Leon has commented on it to himself three times that enemy spawns are just unlimited, so clearing areas isn't as important as just getting to the end of them?

Oh and one other complaint, the crystal ball puzzle that closes out Chapter 2 is bugged, at least on PC. I thought I was going insane twirling that thing around with no clue what I was meant to be doing. A quick google suggested reloading my save and low and behold I did the puzzle after a reload in a matter of seconds.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JohnnyShoulder

The demo didn't do anything for me either. I have plenty of games to play though, so can easily skip something if that happens.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Pizzamorg

Did a bit more of a substantial session today, making my way to Chapter 6 I believe I am at now, at around 4 hours played. Definitely feeling some more mixed emotions as I've gotten further in.

I really started to settle into the rhythm of combat and thought it felt really great. There aren't a crazy variety of enemies so far, but enough variety and enough thought put into placement of enemies and types that encounters always feel dynamic and fun. Also during this stretch you have two really epic boss encounters too that are so much fun (including one where you team up with a best boy you saved earlier and if that doesn't make it a GOTY I dunno what does. I dunno what happens here if you don't save the dog, but if you don't save the dog are you even a real person?!). After this point, I was feeling really good about the game.

Then I finally located Ashley and things kinda went a bit sideways for me.

I was hoping Ashley would be an Elizabeth or an Ellie, but she is neither of those things and it kinda makes the game feel like it runs into a wall a little once you pick her up, and need to shift your focus and style to make sure she is kept safe.

You've gotten used to being this action hero at this point and have been having a great time doing it, but now you've got this dead weight around your waist and suddenly stealth or just out and out running away often feels more of a viable tactic than fighting your way through, even though fighting your way through is so much more fun.

Maybe this changes later on but right now Ashley is completely defenceless and seemingly has no inbuilt self preservation at all. This creates so much additional frustration as I just want to enjoy that push forwards combat loop I was enjoying so much up until that point, but now I have to focus on protecting her all time and holding myself back, as she leads to endless game over screens by being a total *****.

I had more game over screens trying to make it from the church and through the graveyard with her than I did the entire game up until that point. For real.

A couple of other criticisms while I am here. I guess this is again in part intentional as this is still meant to be survival horror, but I seem to only ever usually have enough money to buy one new gun (as long as I sell my old one) but I feel like many of the guns don't have a proportionate impact on the experience in ration to just how much they cost, and in turn how hard this makes them to obtain.

I've basically just stuck to looping around with the starting pistol, a shotgun and the knife and have given each a couple of upgrades and this has so far served me far better than anything else I could have bought from the shop. In a way this isn't a problem as, like I say, I am enjoying the gameplay a lot, but I would like the freedom to explore more options and for the weapons to feel more impactful out of the gate given their cost.

I also really dislike most of the puzzles if I am being honest. I do sometimes wonder if my brain is wired wrong or something, as pretty much every game I play with puzzles I really struggle with. They just aren't intuitive to me at all here, I dunno if this is a me problem or a game problem. Most puzzles come down to me either randomly rotating things until it just completes itself and I dunno what I did, or a few minutes of frustration and then a Google search to push on. I get that these exist as pacing mechanisms for the experience, but rather than pacing the experience they just grind it to a complete halt for me.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

oliverp

Right so while it feels like many people or half the internet seem to be playing and seem to be enjoying the Resident Evil 4 remake at the moment I have a hard time letting go of the Resident Evil 2 remake hehe. I think needless to say that it's a very good game. Its kind funny because just as stated earlier Resident Evil 4 was the game that kind of introduced me to the Resident Evil franchise and action games in general back in those days. So I guess I may pick up the remake at some point in time hehe.

That said, the fact that the Resident 4 remake seems so popular must mean that there is a high possibility that we will see more Resident Evil games in the future, something which I of course think is very good.
It would be very interesting if Capcom some time soon released the sales figure of the game.

It seems also to me like the Resident 4 remake more or less seems to be the game of the year so far in terms of 'popularity. It feels kind of similar to last year when it felt like everyone except me was playing Elden Ring…

'Maybe with the expectation of Hogwarts Legacy.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

oliverp

I find it not least interesting that it feels like that the Resident Evil 2 Remake and in some sense the third game in the series have what could be described as an semi-openworld which can you explore that in my opinion makes the games even more interesting. Because well the "world" or map feels very interesting in 2th game even after you have beaten the game hehe. Not least because like in most games you have access to a very large map where in the Resident Evil games the map are relatively small but filled with content.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic