Forums

Topic: The Push Square Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 2,383

Anchorsam_9

@BAMozzy @TripleGK I'm so happy about the Matip news, we really could use a defender like him - and on a free transfer, at that! Do you think that we'll need to be any more CBs, considering we'll have Skrtel, Lovren, Matip, Sakho, as well as Gomez and Ilori coming through the ranks? To be honest I doubt that Caulker will stay, and there've been rumours swirling around that Toure is leaving this season thanks to his contract expiring - I hope that's not true, though!

Also I agree with Mozzy about exiting the FA Cup being a blessing - I'd much rather focus on winning the Capital One Cup final and/or doing well in the Europa League, considering that's probably our only chance of getting Champions League. Still, I'm fine with not reaching the CL, as it gives us an oppurtunity to rebuild the team and rest them.

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

BAMozzy

@Anchorsam_9: Lets be honest, of the youngsters, only Gomez shows he is most likely to make the starting line-up - lacks experience but looks calm and composed on the ball, Ilori doesn't look like he is really going to push for a position and although did well against West Ham, I don't think he will in consideration a lot.

Of the main 4, Toure hasn't got pace - even less than Carragher had when he retired and is only going to get worse, Sakho worries me everytime he has the ball, Skrtel hasn't looked the same since Agger left and Lovren hasn't exactly captured the form that he showed at Southampton.

I wouldn't be sad to see Toure go from a footballing Point of View - or Ilori although I would consider holding on to him more than Toure as he has potential. I know Sakho has good stats but he can't be good for the overall confidence and composure of the team. He always looks clumsy and if he is a mistake waiting to happen.

Obviously depends on who is available but unless we can get an 'upgrade' on who we have, then I can't see us buying anyone - at least not without selling a few first. Lucas has cover from Matip too if we need a CDM and he is unavailable and Lucas has shown he can step back into central defence if needed as well.

Personally I think we need a keeper. Mignolet ccan't be blamed for some of the goals but even against villla he didn't look 'comfortable' - spilling a simple shot and his positioning when Sinclair hit the post was terrible. The only place Sinclair could hit was that side but Mignolet was over the other side. Some of that maybe down to the players in front of him - not giving him confidence to command his area etc but I still think its a bit of a weak link.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

usb

The way Aston Villa played against Liverpool was truly awful anyside would have beaten them. They play like a side that has already been relegated. Lets not rename the thread blue blood will always run through my veins.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

themcnoisy

Does anyone play super 6 on gameday?

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

Van gaals gonna be sacked it seems....

Anchorsam_9

@get2sammyb: I was surprised about how many people here support Liverpool - that's a good thing, of course

What does everyone think of that Messi to Suarez penalty? A load of people called it disrespectful but that's absolute rubbish - why should we discourage creativity and flair in football? Stupid

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

BAMozzy

@Anchorsam_9: I think its creative and worked. It also shows how Messi is much more of a Team Player - not a selfish goal scorer interested in 'records' and 'awards'. Personally I love watching creativity and flair in football, people trying the 'tricks' etc to get out of situations, beat players etc. In Spain though, they do see this as being 'disrespectful' - I know Neymar gets criticised a lot for his 'tricks' for this reason but I would rather see more of this.
A penalty isn't that different from a 'Free Kick' and nobody says its 'disrespectful' if you pass to another to shoot!

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Victor_Meldrew

Yeah, I don't even bother to watch United anymore. Why should I. They're a boring joke.

Victor_Meldrew

Anchorsam_9

Capital One Cup final today, what's your prediction? I'm gonna say 2-2, with Liverpool winning on penalties if they get lucky. It's really hard to predict though - Man City have been in good form but it always seems to fluctuate, and Liverpool only seem to do well against the good teams

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

BAMozzy

@Anchorsam_9: Obviously I really want LFC to win but I feel if I predict a score, bias will play a major part and if I predict a LFC win, it will almost certainly 'jinx' it. Funnily enough I don't think that predicting a city win would jinx them. I think I should put money on a city win as that would jinx it though

Honestly, I do think its a very difficult match to predict. Both teams can be devastating but both have also been inconsistent. Whilst Sturridge and Coutinho could be key for LFC, they have both started the last 2 matches and we only scored 1 despite all the chances - away at Augsburg was also played at a very slow tempo. You also feel that Aguero is more likely to take his chances (if/when he gets them) and with Mignolet in goal, you don't feel confident he will keep a clean sheet or not make a mistake. If it does go to Penalties though, Mignolet has done well in the past so could become a match winner.

Its a game that if one team is at 100% and the other isn't, that team could dominate and win. If that team at 100% is LFC though, I feel that they will need to get a few goals to get that win - because when City get a chance - and they will, they will take it but if LFC aren't at 100%, they probably won't take their chances. By that if its 1-0, City could always get an equaliser on every chance but LFC would probably need a lot more chances to get that equaliser - if that makes sense. I felt Augsburg could have knocked us out of Europe because we didn't take our chances and make our domination count and that concerns me about today too.

I think LFC need to start fast, get a few goals if they are to win. I think City if they are losing at half time will be a very different proposition in the second half and so need to be prepared and start the 2nd like the first. I think the first goal after half time could prove decisive too - more so than any first half goal(s). Obviously I hope these go to the Reds.

Hego

I want to say Liverpool with the way Man City have been playing but I really don't like the idea of Lucas at CB marking Aguero.....

Hego

PSN: Duke-of-Styria

themcnoisy

One all goes to penos. Man City win.

themcnoisy

My prediction was spot on

Anchorsam_9

That was a really close game, devastated that we lost. Mignolet was excellent all match and in the shootout, but ultimately cost us by letting in a soft goal. Lucas was surprisingly excellent at CB, probably one of his best performances in a Liverpool shirt in a while, but our midfield was pretty much average - Firmino especially, considering he was offside pretty much the entire game. Coutinho, Milner, and Origi were great, but Sturridge was pretty much useless, since he was never in the box and we had pretty much nobody to cross/pass to. The shootout was awful, though - Can's penalty was the only good one, while the rest were crap, especially Coutinho's. Mignolet dived the right way in every penalty, but all of their's were so well-hit that it would be impossible to save any. Why Milner didn't take one was beyond me.

Overall, really close match - Mignolet kept us in it, but at the same time costing us it.

EDIT: Oh, and the refereeing was beyond awful yesterday, for both sides. Moreno's tackle on Aguero should've been a penalty, and I have no idea who Fernando had to kill before he was sent off. Classic lenient cup final refereeing

Edited on by Anchorsam_9

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

usb

The goal keeper for City did well it was nice the manager kept faith in him. Benteke is another example of a player who was bought at an exagerated price and has failed to peform. Sometimes a player looks good because he is in a aston villa team that was average. He must know his Anfield career is over when he was not brought on as a sub yesterday.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

themcnoisy

@iDangerMouse_ Have a great time in London mate, we will miss you tomorrow.

themcnoisy

Or is the Derby at the weekend?