Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 761 to 780 of 2,197

Thrillho

@kyleforrester87 I really liked their last album (Every Country's Sun) and they did the soundtrack to a film killed Kin which is worth a listen too (even if the film is supposed to be rubbish).

Thrillho

nessisonett

Phil Spector dying is a weird one for me. I absolutely love his Wall of Sound production style with The Ronettes among others and it led to genres like shoegaze but then he was a convicted murderer. It’s hard to really feel anything when he was, in the simplest of terms, a very bad man.

Woooow, so the BBC went with ‘talented but flawed’ to describe Spector. Yeahhhh, like the ‘talented but flawed’ Doctor Harold Shipman then. Jeez.

Edited on by nessisonett

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@Thrillho @kyleforrester87 I've got The Hawk is Howling, and plan to get Happy Songs for Happy People, have either or both of you heard Glasgow Mega-Shake?, now that is a "bangin'!" track.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett What have you been listening to recently? I tried the Plantasia album and it felt like something was growing inside me Decided to seek medical help! lmao (just joking, obviously)

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Thrillho

@kyleforrester87 I'm not sure I've heard that one as I don't think I have their earliest albums still.

@TheBrandedSwordsman I guess you mean "Glasgow Mega-SNAKE"?

I've always been a fan of Remurdered as I like the fact the second half sounds like it could have been the soundtrack to an industrial level from the Shinobi games on Mega Drive.

65daysofstatic are still the kings of this sound though and I will never tire of hearing this track. It is one that I will never get tired of hearing live (remember the days when we used to get to see bands live??).

I saw them headlining 2000 Trees festival a few years ago in the absolute pouring rain and it was amazing when this came on. I think I've seen them five or six times live but never seen Mogwai!

Thrillho

Thrillho

@Anti-Matter Blimey, that's a bit intense

Perfectly suited to the car race I was doing in Yakuza 5 while it was on though!

Thrillho

Black_Swordsman

@Thrillho Mega-snake it is, Mega-snake indeed - I was getting confused with the character from Aqua Teen Hunger Force lol, Master Shake was his name right? Did you ever watch that show? Yeah, personally I prefer Mogwai to 65daysofstatic but that's just personal taste. Glad you had chances to catch them live so many times, I hope you catch Mogwai once this pandemic is all over and done with.

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman I listened to the Star Wars: A New Hope soundtrack last week. I can’t remember why I did but it was interesting hearing the tracks outside their context. Basically every track is iconic as well.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I can imagine, I loved that movie and all of the original trilogy when I saw it, I've only seen one of the recent new ones but I enjoyed it, the first one that was set after the original trilogy and wasn't a prequel. I've heard good things about The Mandalorian as well. Have you seen that? With regard to soundtracks, you might like some of Jonathan Snipes from Clipping. 's soundtrack work, Mope is my favourite score by him.

ShaiHulud

@TheBrandedSwordsman Sorry for the late reply mate, I've had a busy few weeks.

I've checked out J G Thirlwell and Simon Steensland and Divide and Dissolve, thanks for the tips, I'm liking the atmosphere D & D, and I suspect Thirlwell & Steensland will be played quite a bit in my office the future.

I'm currently listening a lot to Melinoë from Akhlys - which is more black metal-like but also very high on oppresive moods.

Sic semper tyrannis

Black_Swordsman

@ShaiHulud Glad you enjoyed it, I tried playing a bit of black metal on guitar once but it didn't really work out. It was more like Enslaved than Emperor. Are you an Emperor fan? Those first four records are killer!

ShaiHulud

@TheBrandedSwordsman Yep, big Emperor fan here! I also enjoy a lot of Ihsahn's solowork - bar the saxophone-riddled albums as they make me nervous listening to them.

Sic semper tyrannis

Black_Swordsman

@ShaiHulud I should give his solo work a go then. Is it basically black metal then? I play the guitar as I mentioned before - do you play any instruments? or do vox?

ShaiHulud

@TheBrandedSwordsman He's got quite an extensive discography, but I'd say it's a bit more proggy than pure black. I used to play the drums but haven't done so for ages, so I'm a passive listener nowadays.

Sic semper tyrannis

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic