Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 341 to 360 of 2,192

johncalmc

No way I remember Dananananananananananananakyroyd. I don't remember how many na's are in it though.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Again, really cool about your uncle. What do you think of Slayer? They're death metal too right? Or, arguably, 'thrash'. Hell Awaits vs Reign In Blood, in your opinion, which album comes out on top?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Reign in Blood wins every single time, I’d say it’s one of my favourite metal albums ever. They actually played Raining Blood on Jimmy Fallon’s show which was odd but pretty hilarious. They’re really down to earth guys which is funny because you expect these ones to be as crazy as their personas.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Yeah, you would, wouldn't you? I read that Tom Araya's a committed Christian. Which is obviously surprising at a superficial level due to the nature of their lyrics. I know Kerry King is opposed to organized religion, from reading about that online as well, and those two things don't mesh easily. Perhaps Tom Araya is simply a Christian who doesn't follow organized religion?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I’d probably say it’s my second favourite. To be honest, you can’t really go wrong with their first 5 albums. Like I said, I don’t really listen to much metal though, a lot of it isn’t really my thing. I’d take stoner metal or drone metal over your traditional Metallica or Megadeth. I’d probably say my favourite metal albums were Pink by Boris, Welcome to Sky Valley by Kyuss and City by Strapping Young Lad. They’re all completely different albums, different flavours of metal but I could listen to them any day of the week.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I love Welcome to Sky Valley and City, Josh Homme and Devin Townsend are both excellent guitarists/vocalists. I rate their earlier works as being among their best. Just to add to that, @nessisonett ,I think the guitarists in those bands don't really sound like anyone else, also, do you like any Earth? Perhaps their earlier stuff?

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Earth 2 is a classic of drone but I find it slightly too monotonous which sounds stupid given the genre but it borders on torturous at times. I quite liked The Bees Made Honey In The Lion’s Skull though, it sounded like music for evil cowboys.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I have 'Bees on vinyl. Really pleased with that purchase. @nessisonett ,going back to Slayer - how can you say that their first album was among their best? It doesn't even sound like Slayer, they didn't adopt their trademark sound until Haunting The Chapel. Lol

Th3solution

@Gremio108 @LN78 @nessisonett
Not that the chit-chat thread can be derailed, but I figure this thread might be a better place to move 80’s music talk.
In perusing REM’s library, I have forgotten how many hits that they did have. Stand, Everybody Hurts, It’s the End of the World as We Know It, Orange Crush, Get Up...
The songs do all have a very similar cadence and sound, which is good if you like them, I guess. It’s not that I don’t like their music at all, like I say, some of their hits are very catchy, but I am surprised that they are held with such high esteem. To me they seem to have cashed in on a certain sound and then beat it to death.
I do quite like their exploration into added orchestral sounds in the lesser known hit “Nightswimming.” That song is really serene and calming and it fits the lead vocalists voice better.
As far as their latter output when it seems they were trying to reinvent themselves in Accerlerate, it just doesn’t really seem to jive for me. For some reason, he sounds to me like the lead singer from They Might Be Giants and so he only sounds good in certain types of songs and doesn’t have a truly expansive and flexible voice quality that would really be able to elevate their music in my mind.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution Eh, Murmur is their only truly classic album for me. Document and Out of Time have some individual great songs but I just don’t think they’re particularly consistent. Like I said, they were surrounded by similar artists that were being more daring and yet they were the band getting the coverage and the money. Not a band I overly dislike but one that frustrates me.

Gremio108

@Th3solution "To me they seem to have cashed in on a certain sound and then beaten it to death" This quote made me chuckle, I guess that's probably true. I still like them a lot though. Good band to put on when you're driving home from work on a sunny Friday, safe in the knowledge you've got the whole weekend off.

They were one of a few bands from round then who owe a debt to Big Star, another band I quite like. I'd say give Teenage Fanclub a whirl but if you don't like REM you might not go for them either. I'm one of those annoying people who says "oh I'll listen to anything" so take any musical recommendation from me with a pinch of salt!

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Replying here to not derail the other thread! You can’t go wrong with Violent Femmes’ self-titles debut, it’s a classic for a reason and is the way into their deeper cuts. Crazy Rhythms is the quintessential Feelies album, definitely recommended for sheer influence. With the Replacements, I’d recommend basically any of their albums since they’re perhaps my favourite band, their sound has changed loads of times over the years. The trilogy of albums - Let it Be, Tim and Pleased to Meet Me - are probably their best and most consistent. They also made one of the best live albums out there, Live at Maxwell’s 1986, notorious for the band being drunk out their minds, refusing to finish certain songs and shouting MURDER inexplicably. It’s great.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett The drunken album sounds great, so I'll check that one out. With regard to the Replacements, another band whose sound is constantly changing/evolving are Deerhoof. Do you like any of their music? I recently discovered them via Late Junction on BBC Radio 3.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Deerhoof are one of those bands I’ve heard of but never properly sat down and listened to. From what I’ve heard of them, they definitely do change up their sound on a regular basis though.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I’ve got Spotify so I’ll just give them a wee listen there!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic