Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 361 to 380 of 2,192

nessisonett

Some assorted listens from the last week or so - not everything works well as background music while playing PS4!

The Pillows - FLCL OST 1
Pretty great soundtrack to a show that I’ve never seen, it apparently massively influenced Avatar/Korra and was required viewing for employees. I listen to quite a few soundtracks and not many actually stay with me but this one definitely will, jangly, noisy and invokes feelings of nostalgia where they don’t exist. High 8 to low 9 probably.

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Somehow avoided this one for years, convincing myself that they sounded like Mumford and Sons for drama students, which they totally do, but I did mostly enjoy it. The drums sound great and in fact, overall the production is fantastic. It suits this time of year, evoking the feeling of late summer, with warm, lush tones but with a hint of a chill in the air. I’d listen to it again but probably wouldn’t add it to my collection. A low 8.

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Brilliant album, messy and all over the place while still remaining grounded in solid riffs. An acquired taste for sure but a must-listen. Also worth noting that it deserves credit for being Canadian and not being Nickelback. Or Avril Lavigne. Or Sum 41. Goddammit Canada.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I'll probably listen to that Pillow soundtrack thing. Did you listen to Deerhoof yet?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@LN78 My mum went to see Bryan Adams in concert twice. Twice. Unforgivable 😂😂

Black_Swordsman

Some recommendations for y'all (recent discoveries) Surprise Chef, Nerija and Stockhausen.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I forget, which blues guitarists do you like besides Muddy Waters?

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I’m not massively into the genre but I do like Son House. Lead Belly’s great too, alongside Robert Johnson, the man who sold his soul for the Delta Blues.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Yeah, I'm planning to get Robert Johnson and Lead Belly on vinyl - any particular album recommendations?

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Honestly Lead Belly isn’t really an album person, his albums are mostly collections of his old recordings or based around a theme, like old slave songs or folk songs. So I’m a big fan of his work but would probably recommend a compilation! Robert Johnson also didn’t release any albums so again, just look for a good compilation!

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Thanks dude, I have a couple of compilations by them in mind so I'll go ahead and get them at some point, also, what have you been listening to recently? What's the best album you've heard on vinyl recently?

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I listened to The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads by Lift to Experience, a shoegaze concept album about the 2nd coming of Christ in Texas. It was pretty wild. Also listened to a couple of live albums, Okonokos by My Morning Jacket and Thanks, Sorry by Jeff Rosenstock. They were both great, had a brilliant relationship with the audience and just plain rocked loud and heavy for the whole set list. I don’t listen to enough live albums, especially considering that I’d consider the best album ever made to be Fishmans’ final live album. I just always forget to give them a go.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I'll have to listen to Okonokos, I'll listen to it today along with Bill Frisell's latest release - Valentine. I've always meant to listen to MMJ but haven't really had a chance to get around to listening to them recently, and that album sounds llike a great introduction to their music. Just wild? Regarding the LTE album, sounds like it might not have been that good then? Compared to the other two albums at least?

Edit: Just heard MMJ on Late Junction (I recorded it last night, listening to it now). A track called "I think I'm going to hell" with lots of reverb on Jimmy James' voice. Apparently their music is all their own unique take on country, would you agree with that?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic The crazy Christian album was pretty good but completely bonkers. I couldn’t say I completely loved it but it’s worth a listen. I’d say MMJ probably take a lot from country and bluegrass. Definitely some elements of alt-country mixed in with a kinda jam band approach.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Which albums would you recommend by Karlheinz Stockhausen? (If you haven't heard of him ,no worries).

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I’m partial to Beans and Sausages but Cream of Tomato is good too (I have no idea who that is sorry)

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Try Kontakte by that composer, he's great, an influence on Bill Orcutt, I feel.

nessisonett

Microphones in 2020 dropped a couple of hours ago. I honestly don’t know how to put it into words, other than to say that it’s one of the greatest albums of all time. This is a man who’s stared into the abyss, seen the very worst that life can throw at you and he lays it out for the listener. Every single moment in its one track, 44:44 runtime has meaning. I watched the official video he put out with it and it suits the music perfectly, just Phil Elverum laying out old photos from his past while musing about how he got to this position. I could only recommend that you listen to the album after having gone through both The Microphones’ and Mount Eerie’s back catalogue, or at least just the key albums The Glow Pt 2, Mount Eerie and A Crow Looked At Me as this is a culmination of everything he’s put out prior. It helps to understand his personal life as well, this is a lifetime in one song and not a particularly joyous one at that. There are artists out there that surpass music and lean towards poetry and the real greats, your Bob Dylans and Elliott Smiths of the world, and this album proves that Phil Elverum deserves to be counted among that number. It’s utterly devastating, captivating and entirely unmissable.

nessisonett

@LN78 I wouldn’t say it’s hyperbole. It ties together over 20 years of great albums into one experience. Granted, I have a real love of one track albums like Long Season, Dopesmoker, Feedbacker and the like, but I genuinely feel that it’s an album that everybody should experience.

TheFrenchiestFry

Gorillaz has had no chill as of late

Definitely making a major comeback after how meh Humanz and The Now Now were

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Octane

@TheFrenchiestFry Haven't really listened to their new album. I'm grateful I was able to see Damon Albarn live last year as part of TGTBTQ.

Octane

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry I haven’t enjoyed their output since after Plastic Beach to be honest. Those first few albums are all pretty decent in their own way though.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic