Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 321 to 340 of 2,197

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic IIRC you were looking into lowercase a while back so you should check out Bjork’s Vespertine, it incorporates elements of lowercase/microsound and is one of the best art pop albums around. It’s one of those albums that sounds better in winter though, it uses custom music boxes to make a really cold sound.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

luna213

take a look at charlotte cardin and souad massi, i'm sure you'll like their songs

luna213

nessisonett

Listened to a few albums while grinding MLB The Show the last few days.

Boxer - The National
The musical equivalent of brown corduroy trousers. Really quite boring and it’s hard not to compare it to Interpol’s Turn on the Bright Lights, a similar and far superior album

Strange Geometry - The Clientele
Sleepy, dreamy pop that owes a lot to 60s production styles. Really enjoyed it, interesting to see it got great reviews back in 2005 but seems to have been somewhat lost to time.

Endless Summer - Fennesz
Well... it’s glitch. Not quite harsh enough to be interesting but not light enough to be trippy, it sits in an odd place. Definitely outstayed its welcome.

What’s Your Pleasure - Jessie Ware
Possibly my AOTY so far, incredibly tight disco-pop that just delivers hit after hit. Between this and Charli’s How I’m Feeling Now, it’s been a great year for pop. I do feel like one of those hipsters who like stuff before it’s cool though, I listened to both those albums and Black Dresses’ Peaceful as Hell on release and loved them. Ever since Fantano gave them high scores, there’s been a lot more buzz around those albums than there would be normally and unfortunately that’s ultimately resulted in Black Dresses disbanding.

I’ll try to do more mini reviews here, I listen to as much music as I play games and I’m currently working on my Trails in the Sky trilogy review anyway.

Black_Swordsman

@crimsontadpoles Oh cool, I quite like Fleetwood Mac and think that Lyndsy Buckingham & Stevie Nicks' relationship over the years has added to the romance of the whole thing.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

Saturday Night by Whigfield while playing LSD on PS1 while on LSD is the pinnacle of human existence.

Black_Swordsman

Why are ZZ Top's early albums so much better than their later ones?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Did you listen to the later Elder albums yet? (Lore, Reflections Of A Floating World and Omens) Could you tell me what you think if you have listened to them/when you do? I found them to be brilliant prog albums. Do you play any instruments? As you seem very into music. Also, what do you think of death metal? Like any bands in that genre?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I have to admit, there are some genres that just aren’t my thing and I’d probably say prog was one of them. I can enjoy the classics but I wouldn’t seek out albums that sound similar. Death metal’s an interesting one, I have to be in a certain mood which I’m rarely in, so Death are maybe the only band I’ve listened to that encompass death metal as a genre. They’re pretty good though.

I played French Horn in school but it’s like the worst instrument, it’s seriously difficult to learn, it sucks the moisture from your mouth, it barely gets any time to shine and it’s a nightmare to clean out. At the same time, the range is crazy so if you keep your ears peeled then you could hear it at all ends of the orchestra in terms of pitch. I also dabble with guitar, like literally every guy ever but I haven’t played in ages so I’d need to build calluses on my fingertips again. As I’ve said, I’ve been working on a game for months now so eventually I’m going to have to write a soundtrack and I guess I’ll have to start playing again in preparation. I would say I’m definitely into music but I would never call myself a musician, plenty people are way way better than I am and definitely more dedicated.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Death are a great band. I don't listen to metal any more but when I did they were one of my favorites for a while. I really enjoyed Human and the albums they released after that, but I'm aware that some people prefer their earlier material.

I used to play the guitar up until recently, too, I was in rock bands, and then I recorded some Bill Orcutt-style meanderings recently, posted them on my Soundcloud. Soundtracking your album should be great fun, but overall the music scene encompasses too many elements of which I'm not a fan, and should probably stay away from - a hedonistic lifestyle probably isn't too much fun or too good for any one in the long run.

Also, I'm working on a few game design documents myself right now, one of which is based on the X Files, so that should be interesting, and I've got another one based on Berserk, they are all just ideas right now until I get my own company going, which I'm planning to do with the assistance of crowd-funding, if enough people are interested in my few and far between ideas.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Seeing my uncle go through the ups and downs of being in a bona-fide rock band when I was younger definitely meant I very quickly realised it wasn’t a career for me! It’s always funny when he gets his royalties every month, the letter includes a list of places where your music has been played, so you can see that a radio station in Vanuatu played one of your songs 😂😂

nessisonett

@andreoni79 Very cool, I’m a big Kino fan and it’s strange seeing the renewed interest in Soviet post-punk/new wave due to those Russian Doomer playlists on YouTube. Those Russians really know what sci-fi music should sound like 😂😂

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett That's really cool man, I think that your uncle picked a great career, but, arguably, like yourself and myself - it's not for everyone. Anyway, what was the name of the band? And which one is your uncle? I'll check them out online.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Dananananaykroyd, they did actually meet Dan Aykroyd in an airport once which was pretty cool. He was flattered if confused. Highlight of their career was probably being on the Fifa 10 soundtrack. Back when he was releasing his own stuff before he was in the band, I actually appeared on one of his songs aged like 4 so I’m technically on iTunes and published in the British Library for a haiku about Chuck Norris.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Cool! I'll have to check them out, I have heard of them ,people I used to know used to be into them, but I just never got round to checking them out. I think I either played live with them in a band I was in called Minutes To Midnight, or saw them live on a separate bill, I have a distinct memory of seeing their name on a poster at a venue I've been in.

Thrillho

@nessisonett Your uncle was in Dananananaykroyd? Nice. Their first album was amazing. One of the bands of that era I was gutted I didn’t get to see live as I was a student in London and spent far too much money on gigs.

As if Hey Everyone! is 11 years old though..

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho I was gutted that they broke up before I was old enough to go see them, they played T in the Park basically every year. I always forget that they were relatively big, that whole scene along with Los Campesinos and Johnny Foreigner had a rabid fanbase. His stories are probably why I first wanted to go to Japan, he toured over there with Melt Banana and all the photos and random stuff he brought back fascinated me. I really can’t believe it’s been 11 years either, I went to HMV when it released to see all the copies on the shelves and it really feels like yesterday!

Thrillho

@nessisonett Ha, I’ve seen Los Campesinos! several times live but I’ve found their last two or three albums to be a bit meh. Never quite got on board with JoFo.

Frightened Rabbit are still my favourite Scottish band of the last 10 years and I loved them live; I must have seen them live five or six times from solo in store sets to seeing them at Glasto. Scott’s death was the first celeb death that really hit me.

One smaller festival I used to go to a lot actually had LC! followed by Frightened Rabbit headlining their main stage. That was awesome for me!

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic