Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 2,161 to 2,180 of 2,210

Thrillho

@JamieO doing the lord's work again.

The Spanish Love Songs album is one of my favourites from this year too. Did you get to see them live with Hot Mulligan this year? (I assume you know HM anyway??) Incredible show in Bristol! And they're doing a headline tour with Heart Attack Man soon too I believe (but I can't justify the four hour round trip to see them again).

Love the Blink album too. Knuckle Puck I was a little indifferent to but still a good record. Rancid album was also fine but I appreciated the short run time for tracks and the album itself. The Menzingers album is a weird one as the first half is great but the second a bit forgettable. I'm seeing them later in the year (again) too.

I'm not such a fan of the hardcore stuff, mostly because of vocals; I can cope with them if there's some singing alongside it (e.g. someone like Alexisonfire) but not when that's it.

But some other albums you may have missed;

Sh*t Present - What Still Gets Me

Mature, melodic punk on the first album for this band who have been around for over a decade.

The Dirty Nil - Free Reins to Passion

Laura Jane Grace recommended them on a show she did for 6music and I love this band now. Good, fun rock/punk rock with some great riffs and fantastic vocals.

Koyo - Would You Miss It

Somewhere between emo and hardcore. Solid album.

Origami Angel - The Brightest Days

They call it a mixtape as it's not quite an EP and not quite and album, plus it covers multiple genres in each track. A wonderful record.

And some slightly different stuff;

Korine - Tear

Dark, electro pop with some really catchy tracks.

Barry Can't Swim - When Will We Land?

I've not listened to too much electronic music this year but this album is wonderfully upbeat and brilliantly mixed/produced.

And a top 20 spotify playlist if that's your sort of thing;

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3jHpZbLaxwdYPC9Ophrz67?go=1...

Thrillho

JamieO

@Thrillho Excellent stuff, I remember over a year ago you recommended Tree River's 'Time Being' to me, which ended up being one of my favourite albums of 2022, so I was chuffed to see your detailed response here.

I've checked out all six of the videos that you've posted in your reply, so as a starting point I'm going to focus on The Dirty Nil's 'Free Rein To Passions', and Koyo's 'Would You Miss It?'.

I hadn't actually heard of Hot Mulligan before either, so I'll listen to the 2023 album 'Why Would I Watch', too. I'm already intrigued by the song title, Gans Media Retro Games!

I guess it's not too late to say "Happy New Year" either, and I hope you have a cracking 2024, including a great time at The Menzingers show later in the year, mate.

Below are a couple of 2023 EP suggestions (Real Friends and Tired Radio), noting that Tired Radio in particular was a cool recommendation from a good friend of mine last year.

• Real Friends 'There's Nothing Worse Than Too Late' (EP on Pure Noise Records, 24th Feb. 2023).
  • Tired Radio 'Lousy, thanks' (EP on Sinking Ship Records, 10th March 2023).

I am passionate about retro gaming, from antiquated consoles to the continuation of classics. Obviously I love PSone, and PS2 retro games. I blast my ears to breakneck melodic punk, gruff vocals and nimble alternative guitar hooks.

Twitter:

Thrillho

@JamieO A belated happy new year to you too!

Definitely check out Hot Mulligan if you don't know them. As I say, they were incredible live and I think the last time they were in the UK they were supporting Knuckle Puck. Their new album is good but their previous one is even better. Their acoustic EPs are also fantastic.

I'll have to check out the EPs you mention too.

Thrillho

Black_Swordsman

Best jazz album of 2023 and possibly one of the GOAT. This really genuinely is amazing work.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman Finally got round to giving your album a full listen! My favourite is the Puff Daddy one. I appreciate how dynamic it is. I thought the way you played off of the track was creative and really quite well done. Thanks for sharing!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Thanks man, really appreciate those words and thank you for taking the time to listen to it, that was the second take of that one because I was dissatisfied with how the first take turned out, glad I gave it another go!

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

Amazing experimental jazz-funk.

Bundersvessel

The new record by The Smile is rather excellent, it blows their debut effort out of the water. I’m giddy with excitement what might be in store for radiohead if Jonny and Thom are in this kind of form.

Edited on by Bundersvessel

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

Black_Swordsman

Amazing hip hop record. A personal favourite. The connoisseur's choice.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Hey man, been a little while now, hope you and the family are well. It's TheBrandedSwordsman by the way, changed my name, haha. Anyway I just wanted to know your top 10 albums of all time? I think I started a thread for that years ago before you were on the site so I wanted to include you. Mine are (not in any order of preference)

1. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2. Jay Z - The Blueprint
3. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Pinata
4. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
5. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, mA.A.d city,
6. Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye
7. Peter Brotzmann Octet - Machine Gun
8. Miles Davis - Bitches' Brew
9. Charles Mingus - The Black Saint & the Sinner Lady
10. Peter Dunmall - Yes Tomorrow

(Thought I'd do five jazz, five hip hop, haha)

Jimmer-jammer

@Black_Swordsman Hey! We’re doing well, thanks. Had a good Family Day long weekend. Interesting list there! So, I found this really hard to do. Some of my favourite bands/artists have albums that I don’t enjoy from start to finish. I ended up relying on two main criteria. First, albums that work for me as an entire album start to finish, second, albums that I can put on anytime, anywhere and still get sucked in to the whole thing. Ended up with a surprisingly modern and kind of bizarre list 😂

In no particular order:

1. The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish

2. August Burns Red - Found in Far Away Places

3. Billy Talent - Dead Silence

4. Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

5. Emery - Rub Some Dirt On It

6. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

7. Funeral For a Friend - Welcome Home Armageddon

8. Anberlin - Vital

9. Underoath - Define the Great Line

10. The Glitch Mob - Love Death Immortality

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Glad to hear it. Great list, all very much in the rock Wheelhouse ,of course, haha, but that's ok ,different strokes for different folks. I have personal reasons for not going back to that sort of music based on lifestyle choices I made whilst listening to that type of music. The type of music you listen to definitely affects your attitude to life, well, in my case at least, but I recognise that it's all subjective, of course. I appreciate you listening to my jazz recommendations.

Black_Swordsman

Been listening to a lot of Paul Dunmall & J. Cole music recently, here are what I think the best albums by both artists are so far. (Paul Dunmall is jazz & J. Cole is hip hop.)

Black_Swordsman

Just dropped today. Currently the world's best jazz guitarist.

Bundersvessel

@Black_Swordsman Appreciate you taking the time to share all this. I’ve recently resubbed to Apple Music as I was starved of music haha will be working through some of these 👍

Currently I can’t seem to listen to anything but Black Thought. Have a good one buddy

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

Black_Swordsman

@Bundersvessel I'm glad you are enjoying Black Thought's work and hope that you enjoy the others such as Robed in Rareness by Shabazz Palaces just as much.

Black_Swordsman

Sounds amazing. Had to share.

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer the above album is the best jazz album I have heard since Mingus 'Black Saint' album, had to point you in it's direction. 😃
Incredible stuff, hope you like. (Amazing melodies and ideas/playing)

I imagine I'll speak to you next when RotR is out and we've had the chance to fully immerse ourselves in it's open world! Take care for now my friend!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic