Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,721 to 1,740 of 2,192

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer No problem, hope you enjoyed it - here is something a bit more experimental for you, from the soundtrack to a series of paintings in an exhibition - let me know what you think!

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman man, I really have no idea what to expect when you throw something my way 😂 that was definitely interesting, like what one might hear when cresting an event horizon.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman It’s like a cross between Metroid Prime and Earthbound 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

NedStarksGhost

Went to see Newton Faulkner a few weeks ago, it was his first time performing since covid. Honestly, he's just amazing. So many good songs, he's so good live and it was just a feel good sort of night. Some of his newer stuff was awesome live, he used a lot of equipment to loop parts.

If anyone hasn't ever listened to him I would highly recommend it. I feel he should be much bigger than he is.

Also watched Black Stone Cherry in Manchester. Again, amazing. Such a good night, really enjoyed the gig. They just seem like genuinely nice and good guys. Sound so good live. Went away from that with a whole other level of gratitude of being able to watch that sort of music live again.

Edited on by NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

Black_Swordsman

@NedStarksGhost Were those your first post-covid gigs? I'm going to see Marcus Brigstocke's Cabinet of Jazz in November, it's based on Dizzy Gillespie's attempt to run for president in 1964, he was going to have Miles Davis as head of the CIA and Malcolm X as Attorney General, etc. 😂 Also seeing John Scofield in November as well, if you haven't explored any jazz guitarists thus far and are at all interested in jazz then I'd like to highly recommend him.

@Jimmer-jammer @Voltan Any new recommendations for me guys? What have you been listening to lately?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman nothing really recommendation-wise but I’ve been on a bit of a Metric kick the last couple of days. Their latest album, ‘Art of Doubt’ has grown on me a lot after initially not being so keen on it. Bit of Charlie Winston and Levon Helm in the mix as well. What have you been listening to? Seeing Scofield in November must be pretty exciting!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Thrillho

@Jimmer-jammer Damn, Metric are still going? I saw them in London back around the time of Fantasies and quite enjoyed Synthetica after that but kind of forgot about them since.

Have you heard of The Joy Formidable though? In a similar vein, I caught them live back in the late 00s and loved their first EP, never listened to anything since but picked up their new album which is a corker and has slight Metric vibes to it at times (but with bigger guitars!)

Thrillho

Jimmer-jammer

@Thrillho yeah, they’re really solid live! I was pretty blown away by the guitarist. He’s got some skills that are not present within their albums. Synthetica is probably my favourite album of theirs.
Never heard of The Joy Formidable, but I thought that song was really good, thanks! Definitely got Metric vibes. I’ll check them out further.

NedStarksGhost

@TheBrandedSwordsman Yep they were my first post covid gigs. Felt surreal even being there! Nice, have fun. Feels awesome to be able to go again.

NedStarksGhost

render

@Thrillho Thanks for reminding me about The Joy Formidable. The only album I'd listened to of theirs was The Big Roar which I just looked and was released back in 2011. Crikey!! Will check out the new album.

render

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer

Golden oldie for you, you're probably already familiar - fan of this band? If you like the Pumpkins, Nirvana and that lot then I'm sure you already know them, if so, what do you like about their music? And if not, what do you think of them?

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Doolittle was the first album I bought on CD myself. Probably says a lot about the influences I had from my uncles and brother that I was buying an alt-rock album from 1989 in about 2010 😂

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett 😂 Did you enjoy the CD? I reckon it was indeed their influence on you, reminds me I'll have to have another listen to Danananakroyd again soon 😉

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Yeah, it’s a classic for a reason. I was well into that sorta stuff on my crap iPod Shuffle, Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins, Violent Femmes, Sonic Youth, early REM etc.

BowTiesAreCool

@Keith_Zissou whereabouts was it? What year you talking? If it was somewhere between '04 - '07 I might have been!

BowTiesAreCool

Voltan

Just got a couple tickets to this thing.
Untitled
It will probably sell out very fast.

Voltan

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman ha! Think Radiator resonates with me the most 🤷‍♂️

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic