Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,741 to 1,760 of 2,197

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman I had a listen and it’s not too bad. Not my usual fare, but it’s nice music to have in the background or play softly while taking a nap. 😀

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer That album (vinyl edition) just arrived today, listening to it now, really enjoying it, great stuff, modern art eh? What have you been listening to recently?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

johncalmc

I am at a total loss musically. I just jumped between hardcore punk, '00s indie-pop, and Nancy Sinatra in the space of an hour. Can't find what phase I'm in here.

Someone chuck some kind of mad recommendation at me. Madder the better. Like totally mad. Or just a bit mad. Anything as long as it's not currently something that's in the charts.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Black_Swordsman

@johncalmc If you scroll up a bit or Google it you'll find Mark Vernon's Sounds of Domestic Plumbing and Sanitation. Not exactly "music" but it's art right? And pretty mad concept-wise.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

@johncalmc Divine Styler - Spiral Walls Containing Autumns of Light

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman There is definitely some interesting art out there, isn’t there? Haven’t been listening to much lately. I had an idea to work through all of Tool’s albums in preparation of finally listening to their latest release but just haven’t made it happen.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Fear Inoculum is a great album, regardless of whether you listen to their previous releases in preparation first, you should definitely listen to it, and let me know what you think!

nessisonett

@johncalmc Let’s just say Kanye wasn’t the first rapper to go off the deep end.

Mergatro1d

@johncalmc

• Badd Timing- The Swooper Swag Project (math-rap, if such a thing exists)
  • El Michels Affair- Yeti Season (I read a review where it aptly described the album as 'Turkish inspired Bollywood funk'; it's not actually mad at all but it is utterly brilliant)
  • Hannah Peel- Mary Casio: Journey to Cassiopeia (again, not actually too mad but definitely something different)
  • anything by Fantomas (or the entirety of Mike Patton's back catalogue)

Mergatro1d

PSN: mergatro1d

johncalmc

@nessisonett I liked the album. Listened to the whole thing from front to back which is pretty rare these days, honestly. It's mainly individual tracks or playlists now. Probably give the other albums a shot. Excellent recommendation.

@Mergatro1d I'm already a fan of Fantomas and Hannah Peel but I'm going to try the other two now. Just the phrase math rap offends me on some kind of deep, subconscious level but I'm going to try it anyway. And I'm obviously gonna check out the Bollywood funk first because come on.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Mergatro1d

@johncalmc haha yeah math-rap is a pretty awful term. Check out the track 'Charlie Chaplin' to see if it offends your ears as much as your sentiment. And obviously after the Bollywood funk album.

Mergatro1d

nessisonett

@johncalmc Brilliant, someone else who appreciates the strange, mad genius of Divine Styler. I just can’t believe that album came out on a major label in 1992. It’s as if nobody was checking up on him.

johncalmc

@nessisonett It blew me away when I saw it came out in '92. I was really surprised. Sir Mix A Lot released Baby Got Back in 1992. And Divine Styler was doing this? How did everyone sleep on this?

johncalmc

Twitter:

nessisonett

@johncalmc I think unfortunately it was caught in between the massive releases coming out on both coasts. the West Coast sound was properly going big, with The Chronic, Bizarre Ride II The Pharsyde and other huge albums coming out that year. And then you had major East Coast releases as well from Gang Starr and Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth that year. This album doesn’t really fit into either, or in fact any subgenre of hip hop at all. Part of me thinks that it being so out there would be reason enough for it to get coverage but it’s not even as if it’s got that many Spotify hits nowadays despite having that album cover.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman Thanks, will do! I’ve been meaning to listen to it for a while.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Mergatro1d

@johncalmc Glad you enjoyed it. I think the tracks with Piya Malik singing on them are the best- her voice is so pure

Mergatro1d

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer i listened to Gish by the Pumpkins, wasn't a fan of when things went quiet for a while in the middle but when things got heavy again after that and the drumming picked up again it was great, just like the beginning of the record, great jazzy drumming like you said, that drummer was a beast on that record, with further regard to the quiet parts - hey, you need light and shade ,I guess.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic