Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,701 to 1,720 of 2,197

Jimmer-jammer

Nothin screams Monday like bongos

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

nessisonett

Somehow only just saw that Richard H Kirk from Cabaret Voltaire died. He was a totally underrated pioneer of electronic music.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I just saw your recommendation, the snap and harmonics are used really well, and he's a good guitarist too, it's not just a gimmick from a guy who can't really play, I may check out more of his stuff, really good recommendation - thanks!

Also, you can't make a mistake when you make a music video like that, when it all has to be seamless, although I don't know how much editing was involved, of course.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

johncalmc

@nessisonett Also saw this. I was never a massive fan or anything, but I did go through a phase with Cabaret Voltaire five or six years ago.

My current listening has gone a bit weird. Currently listening - almost exclusively - to odd pagan atmospheric ambient and chants and viking folk... basically it's nearly all scandinavian and sounds like it could be the soundtrack to a dream sequence in a hypothetical viking movie.

johncalmc

Twitter:

render

@Jimmer-jammer Really enjoying that Calum Graham track. I know nothing about playing guitar but it sounds good and that's all that matters to me.

@johncalmc Please share, I'm intrigued by this pagan music

render

render

@johncalmc You know I've heard of Heilung before but not actually listened to any of their stuff. It's definitely something I could get into and does remind me of another band but can't for the life of me remember what they are called.

render

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I enjoyed that, thanks. After an incredibly engaging beginning, it lost me a bit in the middle but came full circle. Some awesome keys in there as well.

Yeah , Calum Graham is definitely worth checking out. I find his songs very inspirational and his style just jives with me. As for the video, I would imagine the music was recorded outside of the video, though I can’t say for sure. I’ll post one of my favourites of his here. (He uses a looping pedal, tastefully) Other than that, don’t have much for recommendations at the moment.

@render glad to hear you’re enjoying that. He’s a phenomenal guitarist. Musical know how certainly grants a more academic appreciation of music but music is first and foremost an emotional medium, which I think can be enjoyed by anyone on whatever level they enjoy it 😊 here’s one of my favourites of his.

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@render Do you ever listen to the Frank Skinner Show on Absolute Radio? I recommend it just for the chat even if you don't like the music, I think that there is a version available on the Absolute Radio website with just the chat, if you're intrigued.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

render

@TheBrandedSwordsman I didn’t even realise he was on the radio so will have a listen. He’s a very funny guy so I’d imagine it’s quite good. I saw that 6music had to make an announcement about Keaveny leaving. It sounds like people generally thought he was pushed out rather than deciding to have a change, which he did cite as the reason.

render

Black_Swordsman

@render I didn't realise that they had to make an announcement - did they just clarify it was his decision?

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman Herbie is a legend. I'll listen some more tomorrow but I can already say it's good.

In return - something completely different - new Sleep Token just dropped yesterday. One of the most unique bands to appear on the metal scene recently.

(full album in the playlist)
edit: the forum cut out the playlist part of the link so here it is: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0cCga9fhrh2U_0bE2D-NI...

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Sleep Token are certainly fairly unique, I listened to some of the album, will listen to more later as well, I really like the juxtaposition of the clean vocals and the heavy guitars, I doubt purists will think much of them, though. I enjoyed it, though, thanks!

JohnnyShoulder

Christ. 30 years since Nirvana - Nevermind was released.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I believe you liked something I previously shared by this artist (Foodman), now he's back with a new full-length album!, listen on Youtube and let me know what you think!

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman thanks! I was able to listen to most of it. It was an interesting listen! I appreciate the percussive quality of the proceedings. Concerning progression, it’s all a bit jazzy to my ears. I can see why you find it intriguing. Overall I find it a unique arrangement of sounds and rhythms.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic