Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,381 to 1,400 of 2,197

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman I’ve been on an Arthur Russell kick, someone whose music pretty much defies convention and I’ve been a fan of for years. It was weird hearing 30 Hours by Kanye the first time cause it heavily samples Answers Me by Russell.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett That sound right up my street, which albums would you say were his best? (Arthur Russell)

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman The last couple of albums I picked up are Remember Sports (Like a Stone) and Oceanator (Things I Never Said).

The first is a bit twee for my liking but has some nice tracks. The latter is a bit samey but when they get it right, they have some great songs.

Thrillho

Black_Swordsman

@Thrillho Not a bad little ditty, sounds like you're a bit disappointed with your latest purchases?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer It's great but a bit too funky for my liking perhaps, whatever floats your boat! what about rock? Are you still exploring jazz?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman Ha, not disappointed.. I’m just more picky these days.

I have decided I really don’t like the Squid album though

Thrillho

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I almost picked up a Scofield collection the other day but got Chevelle instead. Haha Next time!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer D'oh! That Scofield collection would have looked great amongst your records, next time indeed

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Tell me what you think of the guitarist in this video, Sco named him as a great guitarist, unrecognized, Sco also said, "steal from everyone" I will leave it to you to infer why they sound so similar 😉

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Probably go for World of Echo. Although basically all of his albums and compilations are worth listening to!

nessisonett

@Thrillho I really didn’t like the Squid album either. Or Black MIDI. Or Black Country, New Road. It’s like a whole wave of albums leaning into the side of post-punk that I just don’t enjoy.

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman Talky vocals aren’t always my thing, quite a few tracks could do with minutes being shaved off them, and the sort of off beat sound doesn’t do it for me.

I wanted to like it but I had it on again this week at work and turned it off after a few tracks.

Thrillho

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I wanted to watch that uninterrupted. Man, that was a good watch, thanks! They were all pretty in the zone there. To turn emotion into music on the spot like that - it never ceases to amaze me. I found the guitarist just mesmerizing. Some of those jazz chords are so inventive. I wonder what tuning he’s playing in. Thanks again. Cheers!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Thrillho

This week I have had one of Dan Deacon’s albums rotated onto my phone and it reminded me that this glorious Tiny Desk session exists. The vocals sound weird on these live versions but the crowd participation on the second and third tracks is amazing.

@Jimmer-jammer I didn’t know if you knew of him as your posting of Kid Koala sort of reminded me of him.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho @Voltan Funnily enough, Dan Deacon’s on my Spotify Discover Weekly. I span both your posts!

render

@nessisonett @Voltan Is it the track he did with Future Islands as that's on my discover weekly? They must be plugging him big time!

render

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic