Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,081 to 1,100 of 2,205

Kidfried

I've always been more of a fan of Showbiz. It has that early sound of them which is a bit less theatrical and more fresh from song to song. Still put that on regular, even though I wouldn't consider myself a fan of them anymore.

@nessisonett that cover ain't great, but it's not as bad as that Feeling Good cover from Michael Bublé either. :')

Kidfried

nessisonett

Why in the sweet name of f**k has The Leanover by Life Without Buildings gone Tiktok famous? It’s a niche song from a niche band from about 2000. They’re old friends of my uncle’s though, he’s literally in the live video thingy for that song. Mad to think what can suddenly take off these days but I have to say I did not see this one coming.

Edited on by nessisonett

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Voltan

Just picked up this bad boy
Untitled

First spin underway, it's pretty good

Voltan

Northern_munkey

Been on a bit of a metal kick this week..demanufacture by fear factory,roots-sepultura,seasons in the abyss-slayer and surf nicuragua-sacred reich...gotta love the classics..

Kick out the jams!

LordSteev

@Voltan Great taste, man! How is it? Are you an Iron Maiden fan? I like Murray a little better than Smith, but no denying Adrian Smith is a fantastic musician. Kotzen was in Poison, wasn't he? Please tell me three things:

1. When did it come out?
2. How awesome is it?
3. Who's the singer?

Thank you sir. If this is new, I HAVE to get it. If the rhythms are anything like what Maiden used to do, I'm sold and I thank you yet again.

LordSteev

Voltan

@LordSteev I'm definitely more of a Kotzen fan than a Maiden fan. Yeah, he was in Poison, Mr. Big but also had a very rich solo career and is in a supergroup called The Winery Dogs.

Anyways, yeah, this is new - just came out a week ago. It's nothing like Iron Maiden - it's actually a bluesy hard rock album. They both sing and play guitar, Kotzen also plays most of the bass and drums (with McBrain as a guest on one of the tracks and Tal Bergman on another). Smith also plays bass on a couple songs.

Seeing as you're clearly into Iron Maiden - it might not be your cup of tea but I do recommend checking it out, it's pretty good

Voltan

nessisonett

Ordered a couple of Kino cassettes for myself along with a T-shirt from the reprints last month. I was tempted by the records but between the insane shipping costs from Russia and the fact it just feels right considering the contraband nature of the original tapes back in the 80s, I went with cassette instead. Still waiting on my Disco Elysium and Persona 5 records to come too!

LordSteev

@Voltan

I got a little curious while waiting on your reply, so I went to the Smith/Kotzen webpage and watched a different video for a song called Taking My Chances. I thought it was ok, but then I listened to the one you shared above, Scars, and I really liked that! Thanks for posting it. Here's the one I heard:

Hmmm, doesn't look like that worked. Oh well, you have the album. 😁

Anyway, twenty years ago I might have said they were playing it too safe, but now I'm so starved for good new music of this type, (plus a little older), I loved it. I'll be buying this when I make my trip to the music store. I'm putting off going yet because Greta van Fleet has a new album due out on I believe the sixteenth. So, a Muse album, the new Greta, and now the new Smith/Kotzen. Plus whatever else I find whilst rummaging. One trip and I'll fill my disc changer with all new stuff! Thanks again for posting the song link, and if you or anyone else can explain in kindergarten language how to make a song link stick, I'm all ears!

Edit: Well I'll be damned, it did work.

Edited on by LordSteev

LordSteev

Voltan

@LordSteev oh man, sounds like you could use a crash course in contemporary rock music that's not on the radio
There's so much great stuff out there. And bands can still play their instruments, maybe better than ever in some cases - there just isn't big money behind it anymore.

And what I mean to say is that Greta is an OK band with a big marketing budget. I'm not saying they suck, I'm saying there are tons of bands that do a similar thing better.

Let's start with some less obscure ones

Voltan

Voltan

@Jimmer-jammer Texas has a pretty serious retro-rock scene, especially if you include stoner bands
I believe these guys are from Texas too (heavy Led Zep vibes):

Voltan

Jimmer-jammer

@Voltan I hadn’t heard of them. That was a pretty cool tune that built in to something quite powerful. Thanks!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Voltan

@Jimmer-jammer I saw them live once, here in Poland. There were maybe 40 people in the audience but they delivered a pretty great show anyway
The singer is even more reminiscent of a young Robert Plant when you see him on stage

Voltan

Jimmer-jammer

@Voltan those are the best kind of shows! I went to visit a friend for the weekend one time who worked at a youth centre. When I arrived, he said he had to help out at work for a few hours for something and I could tag along. I ended up seeing The White Stripes in a small room with like 20-30 people. It was pretty sweet. The story goes that when touring, they often do a b-show at a random location the day of their big concert spread entirely by word of mouth. I’ll never forget that.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Voltan

@Jimmer-jammer cool! I can't say I'm a fan but if someone told me about a secret WS show, I'd go see it

Voltan

nessisonett

I was supposed to see Michael Kiwanuka but it got moved to next May at the last minute. Probably for the best!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic