Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,101 to 1,120 of 2,197

Jimmer-jammer

@Voltan not a big fan either. It actually looked like they just woke up and perhaps had an argument on the way in, played no singles, nothing was mic’d up - how it all happened was just incredibly memorable and really humanized the two of them in a refreshing way. This must have been like 2006.

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Jimmer-jammer

@nessisonett I believe this year’s Glastonbury is being live streamed now so at least there’s that.
Edit: ah, I see it’s still a ticketed event...

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Voltan

@Jimmer-jammer That makes sense. Most people don't realize how much work it is to put on even a small show, so playing it just "acoustically" is how you can do it if you don't want multiple additional hours of work and/or a dedicated crew
And you probably don't if you have an important event on the same night.

Voltan

LordSteev

@Voltan

Just listened to the Rival Sons one, and didn't notice anything really extraordinary about the musicianship, truth be told. I don't think Greta is any less talented then that. I like the singer, reminds me a little of Paul Rodgers from Bad Company. But what I like about Greta isn't really the musicianship, either, it's the singer, who just blows me away.

LordSteev

LordSteev

@Kidfried

We both have our opinions. I'll never be able to change your mind, and you'll not change mine. Lets just leave it at that.

LordSteev

LordSteev

@Voltan Weaponized Funk: Nice tune, I like a good funk/metal mix. You like Red Hot Chili Peppers at all? I don't care for their newest stuff, but some of the old eighties tunes were funky.

LordSteev

LordSteev

@Jimmer-jammer

Never heard of The Sword! Catchy riffs! Are they newer? I like the 80's style. Here's one for you, we haven't talked about these guys, but I'm a big fan:

LordSteev

LordSteev

@Voltan Scorpion Child-Antioch: I love this, this was my favorite of the last 3 you've posted. Definitely got some Zeppelin vibes out of that. Maybe even a little Triumph.

LordSteev

Voltan

@LordSteev Can't say I'm a fan of the Peppers. Being a musician myself, I usually gravitate towards more complex music in general but I do like some classic rock and metal if done right - problem is I've already heard so much of it, I rarely come back anymore - instead looking for things that can still surprise me somehow. My playlists have been mostly weird fusion music lately
I do like BOC though They also released a pretty good new album recently!

Voltan

Jimmer-jammer

@LordSteev yeah The Sword are a current band. Vocally they give me some serious Black Sabbath vibes. System of a Down is great, though I haven’t followed them for what feels like ages. Gonna see what they’ve been up to...👍

Jimmer-jammer

@Voltan ah, that explains a lot...from my limited research, it doesn’t seem like they’ll be doing much in the near future either. Bit of a shame.

Voltan

Moving away from rock and metal...
It's pretty safe to assume everybody's familiar with the song but I really enjoyed this jazzy reharmonized version of Adele's "Hello"

Voltan

Jimmer-jammer

@Voltan one of my favourite songs of all time...Truthfully, I didn’t love it. With that said, I appreciated some of the compositional changes to the arrangement and found it vocally powerful and on par with Adele’s version. For me, the beauty of this song is in its simplicity so I’m naturally a hard sell on literally jazzing it up. Glad I listened though, thanks!

Voltan

@Jimmer-jammer That's just the thing - I've heard and played the same simple triads some many times myself that I find it hard to enjoy most pop music nowadays (I still like original but I wouldn't listen to it a lot) I'm a very specific case though and I'm sure it's not for everyone.

Here's what I'd like pop music to be a little more

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

nessisonett

@Voltan Pop music these days honestly isn’t pop in any way. The genre ‘pop’ has gone kinda out of the mainstream, with Charli XCX and other similar artists having the freedom to actually push the boundaries. These days, trap is basically pop. With varying shades of ‘not bad’ and ‘incredibly lazy’.

Edited on by nessisonett

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Voltan

@nessisonett Sounds about right. I'd still consider Adele pop and mainstream though

Voltan

nessisonett

@Voltan Every Adele song sounds like an X Factor winner’s song to me 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic