Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 961 to 980 of 8,938

Ralizah

Hmm.

Maybe I'll just sit down and watch all the other Superman movies and share my impressions in this thread.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger wrote:

Secondly, you absolutely should see Superman IV: The Quest for Peace if you get the chance. Everybody should see that film. It's a laugh riot from start to finish; one of the very best bad movies of all time.

I agree. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I first saw that. While you are there watch Jaws 3-D for a giggle/grimace.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jaz007

Has anyone seen The Prophecy? That is one the greatest terrible movies of all time. It's full of the best moments in cinema. The bear and sleeping bag moment in particular is amazing.

Jaz007

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah Superman 2 is fantastic! It's more in the vein of Superman The Movie though.
It was shot primarily by Richard Donner back to back with the first film, but a fall out with the producers led to them hiring another director to re-shoot enough of the film so that they didn't have to give him credit. There is a 'Donner Cut' of Superman 2 with some interesting changes to the theatrical release, but it's actually not quite as good, or fun.

From there the producers (bearing in mind, that despite the excellent end product of Superman The Movie, the Salkinds were basically only interested in having a cash cow) felt that comedy was the way to go so hired Richard Pryor for Superman 3 thinking that he'd ad-lib his was through filming; he was a big fan of Supes so he stuck to the script religiously. Superman 3 is far from awful though - it's just corny, and hammy - and wonderful for it. It's actually a better film than Superman 2 in many ways - and harbours my favourite scene ever committed to film.
As an aside, I highly recommend seeking out the original treatment for Superman 3. The Salkinds initially wanted an epic to rival the first film and came up with an absolutely bonkers plot involving Supergirl, Braniac and time travel to medieval England!

Superman 4, is a bit of a shame. The rights to Superman had slipped and ended up in the hands of the dreaded Canon production company. While the story (by Reeve) is rather worthy, on paper - it really could have been quite something. But Superman on a shoestring budget was never going to work.

@FullbringIchigo Returns is a shame. While it was nice for Singer to try to continue the series with a soft reboot - it is largely as close to a remake of Superman The Movie as he could've gotten to. I really like the aesthetic, the cast, the effort and John Ottman's work with Williams' theme is exemplary - but even in 2006, 'Superman lifting things' wasn't really enough. He should've gone with Braniac as a villain.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@Jaz007 The Prophecy series is brilliant viewing!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Looking forward to hearing your thoughts; I might give them all another pass soon, too. It's been a while, and at least I know the music will be decent.

@Fullbringlchigo Hey! Don't knock Batman & Robin! That's (genuinely) my favourite!

@KALofKRYPTON I'm so glad you mentioned Tempus! "Hello?! Duh!! Clark Kent... is Superman!" His episodes with H.G. Wells (both actors were great, but Hamilton Camp is always a joy) were definitely the highlights. I also loved John Shea's very different, yet very sinister, take on Lex Luthor.

You're right about the production schedule. The various Star Trek spin-offs suffered the same problem; there's a particular story Kate Mulgrew tells of a day she snapped and it always resonates.

Thanks for the recommendation about All-Star Superman; I'll keep an eye out.

@JohnnyShoulder Whenever I'm feeling a little low, the Honest Trailer for Superman IV is one of the things I'll use to pick myself back up again. It's a thing of beauty.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Scott Bakula said the same of Quantum Leap in his Chaos on the Bridge interview.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON You know it's bad when he snaps. He's literally the world's nicest man.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Not the snap - just the crushing weight of always being at work.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Oh, I see, yeah. Makes sense.

I was thinking of The Captains, an awesome documentary film if ever you get the chance (if you haven't seen it already). I know a lot of people belittle or dismiss Shatner, but he's a decent documentary filmmaker. I don't even mind his music.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger yeah, I've seen it. I prefer Chaos on the Bridge, though you get the sense that there's massive amount of unused footage from those interviews - also because it confirms what I'd long suspected: Avery Brooks is crackers!

Who can argue with two of the best cover versions going?! (Rocket Man, Common People)

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger he wasn't always like that though, maybe he's ill?

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo 'Eccentric' is probably a better word - but bonkers/crackers/a pork pie short of a ploughman's all fit.
He could be I suppose, but I suspect he's always been like it.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON @FullbringIchigo He's a very spiritual, soulful man; a quality that served him well playing The Sisko. I've seen first-hand a couple folk that remind me of him develop eccentriciy in later years; I don't think it's necessarily linked to a particular illness or condition, much like we would identify similar symptoms in others, but there's always the possibility (and I believe there was a member of Mr. Brooks' family in the background of his entire "interview" with Shatner during The Captains, which may suggest a less-than-lucid normality).

The thing is, Shatner's interview style is not exactly what I'd call "direct" and it could simply be that Avery was tapping into some of that energy and just playing with him. If there is no sinister cause, then there's a genuine beauty and warmth between the two.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

Speaking of 2001, this is extremely interesting. I've never read the book, but have leaned the way Kubrick (apparently) puts it here.

SPOILERS, obviously
https://io9.gizmodo.com/this-may-be-stanley-kubrick-himself-e...

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

Tasuki

@RogerRoger I loved.Lois and Clark, it was one of my favorite shows growing up. I remember a few years ago Netflix had all the seasons to stream and I just binged on them. I really liked the actor they had for Luthor it was just a shame that they had a disput over his contracted and he left after the first season.

I even liked the nod that CWs Supergirl gave the show by casting Dean Cain as Kara's "earth" father.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

themcnoisy

@KALofKRYPTON I love Superman 2. Its amazing when Superman turns up outside the window.

"General Zod would you care to step outside?"

Amazing.

Recently Ive watched a few films. Alien in HD, Rocky 4, Sherlock Gnomes and Creed.

Alien in HD is fantastic. Its funny seeing the tech Scott thought would be in the future. All blinking lights and cigarettes.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

crippyd

@themcnoisy I watched Alien about two years ago for the first time, after playing Alien Isolation, and I coudn't see what all the fuss was about. All I could think of was Red Dwarf when the alien made its dramatic entrance. There just seemed to be a complete lack of tension and it came across as boring. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind, would it benefit a second viewing?

crippyd

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic