Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 7,681 to 7,700 of 8,929

LN78

Having been incredibly impressed with Colin Farrell's performance in "The Banshees of Inisherin" (he deserves the Oscar in my opinion) I decided to watch some of his lesser known low budget films. I started with "The Lobster". I'm so confused right now. If you've seen it then you know what I mean.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Yup. I know what you mean. I left some brief thoughts of The Killing of a Sacred Deer a few posts up, which also stars Farrell and by the same director as The Lobster. I preferred The Killing of a Sacred Deer, but hardly remember what happened in The Lobster.

Edit: I saw it on Netflix a couple of weeks ago.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

Fantasia really is an odd one. I appreciate a lot of the more artsy elements and the abstract accompaniments to the classical music is beautiful. That being said, it’s bloody long and the conductor guy’s moments to camera are really stiff.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder I've got "Sacred Deer" to watch next. I didn't dislike "The Lobster" or anything - at least I don't think I did. It might also have been the best thing I've seen in ages. Who knows?

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 It has a similar odd tone about it, but the story felt a bit more coherent than The Lobster.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder The weird thing about "The Lobster" is that it seems to have been written to be as esoteric as possible with the express intent of flummoxing critical evaluation. People who say they didn't like or enjoy it are open to immediate accusations of just not having "got it". So not even like a David Lynch film in that regard - he just doesn't give a ****! I think it reminded me most of Denis Villeneuve's "Enemy". The cast was absolutely incredible, though. Maybe they got conned into thinking they were making something deeply profound. Maybe they were making something deeply profound. I don't know.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 I didn't know what to make of Enemy either. I'm petrified of spiders, so that made it almost unbearable to watch at times though.

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder I'm not particularly scared of spiders but that very last scene was nothing short of hideous.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 I almost soiled myself.

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder Understandable. I'll drop some thoughts on "Sacred Deer" later, assuming that my cerebral cortex hasn't imploded. Or I might just watch "Seven Psychopaths" instead.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

Damn. Didn't realise Brendan Fraser played Firefly in the scrapped, but almost finished Batgirl movie.

LtSarge

Finished watching Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Pretty good movie, although I didn't like it as much as Man of Steel. It takes way too long to get going and there weren't that many fights in the movie. Not to mention the battle between Batman and Superman was pretty underwhelming. I liked the movie primarily because of the introduction of more characters to the DCEU. Really looking forward to watching their movies.

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@LtSarge Fair comments. Sorry to see you didn't like it as much as Man of Steel. Out of interest, did you watch the theatrical cut (2h 31m) or the Ultimate Edition (3h 2m)?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

@RogerRoger The version I watched was 2.5 hours, so it has to be the theatrical cut. Didn't know there was an ultimate edition. Is it better than the regular version?

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@LtSarge I prefer it, but then I'm a fan of the movie in general. It doesn't add any action, I don't think, but rather expands some of the story (there's a lot more to Lois' investigation, for example) and gives the whole thing a little more room to breathe. Unless you're real eager to return, I'd say you're okay to move on.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

I ended up watching "Seven Psychopaths" which was the second of the three (up to now) collaborations between Colin Farrell and writer/director Martin McDonagh. It's a comedy-thriller of sorts (being neither particularly funny nor thrilling) about a struggling screenwriter, his friends and an increasingly convoluted (and meta) plot concerning the eponymous lunatics and the movie script featuring them. Despite a brilliant cast (including Tom Waits, Christopher Walken,Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell) and an intriguing premise, I came down on the side of not really liking it. There are some fantastic individual scenes - Harrelson's inept but scary mobster unknowingly visiting Walken's wife in hospital, for example - but the script is tonally all over the shop - coming across like a weird hybrid of Charlie Kaufman and Quentin Tarantino and showing non of the unique authorial personality that was on display in McDonagh's previous movie (also starring Farrell) the unbelievably excellent "In Bruges". Still worth seeing for the performances (particularly from Walken and Rockwell) though.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Same here with Seven Psychopaths. I went into with great expectations but came away really disappointed.

Which is similar to what I felt when I watched Top Gun Maverick last night. I thought it was average at best and felt I seen it been done before a dozen times. My expectations weren't that high as I was never a fan of the original. It looks really good and the plane scenes were kind of exciting, but half of the time I was really bored by it. And I do like a no brainer action film now and again, but for whatever reason Top Gun Maverick did nothing for me.

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder Yup - completely aside from my antipathy towards Tom Cruise, I thought "Top Gun 2" was bit of a nothing burger as well. We're in a pretty small group of naysayers, from what I can gather.

LN78

LtSarge

@RogerRoger Ah okay, that sounds good then and thank you for explaining the extra content!

Just finished watching the next DC movie on my watchlist, which is Suicide Squad. I actually really liked it! I've heard people complain about some of the characters and I don't really mind them. Margot Robbie does an outstanding job as Harley Quinn. Jared Leto as Joker is interesting. I mean, I haven't really seen a young gangster Joker before, but I think it's really cool. Although my favourite Joker is still Heath Ledger's. Jared Leto's wasn't crazy and unpredictable enough like you'd expect from the Joker. I'm not that big on Batman lore, but I think the Joker isn't supposed to like Harley Quinn as much as he does in Suicide Squad. He'd happily sacrifice her to get what he wants but she would still go back to him regardless.

Will Smith as Deadshot was very good as well. I also liked the inclusion of Killer Croc, Captain Boomerang, Katana and Diablo. Tons of great characters and watching this movie has made me hyped for the upcoming Suicide Squad game.

So yeah, great movie overall and I'm looking forward to watching Wonder Woman next.

LtSarge

LN78

Well even though DC are finally dragging the godawful "Snyderverse" out behind the shed and putting it out of its misery, this actually looks pretty great:

Ezra Miller has serious issues, though. So there's that.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic