Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 7,441 to 7,460 of 8,930

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder I know what you mean - but the 3D movie functionality of the PSVR was a brilliant little bonus that I've had a ton of fun with - especially in the "theatre mode". I also have an old Pioneer 3D TV that I inherited from my dad in my games room - some of the PS3 games with 3D implementation released at the height of the fad (like "Arkham City" and even "Uncharted 3") are certainly...interesting, if nothing else.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Ah, and I have even less interest in PSVR or the follow up to it.

Thinking about it, whenever I saw a film in 3D at the cinema I mostly came away very underwhelmed by the outcome. I can only recall Avatar being really impressed by. So I kind of hope the success of the sequel doesn't bring back 3D into films, as in the main I think it is a bit gimmicky.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder Oh most definitely gimmicky with a few notable exceptions - it's kind of fascinating that thanks to Cameron we had movies from the likes of Spielberg, Scorsese,Zemeckis, Cuaron, Peter Jackson and Ang Lee made especially for the format. They're all worth a look.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

Yep, thought so. No Time to Die works best when you stick it on the end of a Craig-era marathon. It still doesn't feel like a Bond movie, and I still have some issues with it, but the unplanned cohesiveness of the whole thing should be applauded. Maybe some movies just need a little time to breathe?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

Watched Tomas Alfredson's "Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy" from 2011 again - there's a pivotal Christmas party scene so it's not completely out of keeping with my current marathon of Seasonal films. I genuinely think it's one of the best movies ever made - it just doesn't put a foot wrong.

LN78

colonelkilgore

@LN78 I probably need to give that another viewing if I’m honest. I remember I liked it well enough… but absolutely nothing has registered in terms of the story and characters. Another decent espionage film from that period was Bridge of Spies, which I’ve also been mulling over a rewatch of. Might have an espionage-athon once the missus and I have finished Strike.

**** DLC!

LN78

@colonelkilgore "Bridge of Spies" is really great - worth watching just for Mark Rylance, honestly. On another topic I turned "Glass Onion" off after about 40 minutes - I've decided I just don't like Rian Johnson's films. Not one of them has impressed me at all and he just comes across as a needy child who's desperately trying to prove how smart he is. Get stuffed,Rian.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

colonelkilgore

@LN78 I didn’t mind Glass Onion (or Knives Out for that matter) but I did fall asleep around halfway through, so take from that what you will. Obviously The Last Jedi was an absolute Super Star Destroyer-sized train-wreck. I did quite like Brick though… and The Brothers Bloom was okay. Having said all that though, I do get your point… Johnson does seem to have an ego which can overshadow his work.

**** DLC!

LN78

@colonelkilgore It really doesn't help either of the "Knives Out" films that Daniel Craig also comes across as massively self-impressed. It's like the movies are just drenched in smug. No thanks.

LN78

colonelkilgore

@LN78 🤣 yeah, very strange casting of Craig in the role of a Kentucky-fried Poirot. He didn’t do it for me either tbh.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

I wasn't blown away by Glass Onion either. Didn't think it was a bad film, but preferred the first film and it's cast of characters.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

Watched that film My Old School, which was bloody brilliant. What a truly insane story, of a 32 year old man who somehow managed to go back to high school for an entire year in 1993. The fact it was made by one of his classmates and really embedded you in their experiences with the guy made it much more interesting than if some screenwriter had made a Sunday night drama about it. Funnily enough, the school involved was not too far from where I used to stay and most of the kids that I went to primary school with out that end went on to attend that high school!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I saw a news story about that film, and wondered if it was worth checking out. I'm grateful for the endorsement, therefore! Will track it down!

Very nearly started watching The Northman last night, but some last-minute technical problems meant that we ended up putting on The Hunt for Red October instead.

Without wanting to pass judgement on something I haven't seen, I think we got the better deal.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

Street Fighter II: the Animated Movie (Blu-Ray)

Solid adaptation of the game series.

Narrative isn't particularly engaging but does an admirable job setting up a reason for the central characters to be in conflict, and it does a great job making sure every playable character shows up at least once (usually making sure they're involved in a fight at that). I want to particularly point out the E. Honda/Dahlsim bout that briefly takes on a "side view" emulating the viewpoint of playing the game, and the Chun-Li/Vega encounter which has a genuinely tense buildup (and the shower scene is certainly a plus), and then is absolutely the most intense, exhilarating fight in the entire film. I will say that for some reason I kinda start to lose a bit of interest by the time the final confrontation with Bison rolls around, but ultimately I'd say it still sticks the landing.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I thought The Northman was excellent. Not sure whether it is a Rog film though.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, I'd seen a trailer and some bits, and kinda figured, so I was just going along with the group, in all honesty. Was slightly relieved when the DVD didn't work!

The Hunt for Red October blows 99% of all other movies out of the water, though (pun semi-intended).

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder "The Northman" is an absolute masterpiece - Nicole Kidman's botoxed beyond belief features aside!

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Red October is a top film, probably my favourite Jack Ryan movie.

@LN78 Did you get any FromSoftware vibes from The Northman? It almost felt like I was watching Elden Ring: The Movie at times!

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder Now that you mention it.... I did get serious "Assassins Creed: Valhalla" vibes. Just kidding.

LN78

Jimmer-jammer

Really wish I saw more films this year. As it stands:

1. Top Gun Maverick
2. GDT Pinocchio
3. The Northman
4. The House
5. Everything Everywhere All At Once

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic