Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 7,321 to 7,340 of 8,965

LN78

@Jimmer-jammer A 4K version would be very welcome - the DVD release really doesn't do it justice. I've got "The Green Knight" but I'd completely forgotten that it was set at Christmas so I'll put it on the stack. For some reason that I can't quite fathom, the first "Jurassic World" movie takes place at Christmas so we've got that and "Iron Man 3" later on. I don't remember liking either of them very much, but maybe watching them in an actual Yuletide context will improve the experience!

LN78

Jimmer-jammer

@LN78 I never did see Iron Man 3 but I could definitely go for some Jurassic World over Christmas. I thought it was so-so but sometimes that’s just what the doctor ordered!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Not sure what I go for this year, but last year it was National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Actually, I might go for Gremlins this year, if I can find it cheap enough. I've not heard great things about the quality of the transfer, which has put me off getting it previously.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

We’ll probably grab the 4K copy of Elf for this Christmas. Not a massive Will Ferrell fan except in a few movies and Elf is one of them.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder The "Gremlins" 4K isn't demo worthy or anything but it is a major uptick over the standard blu-ray - I watched it the other night after the "Love,Actually" debacle and was suitably impressed. It's a fantastic movie but the glaring plot hole near the end (the snow not causing the Gremlins to multiply AT ALL) is a bit of an irritation. Another thing I'd never really noticed before is that the town's High Street is very obviously the same one they used in "Back to the Future" - it must've been shot on the same studio exterior! It's one of those things you can't unsee once you've seen it. Have you ever spotted a plot hole (or just a mistake) in a film that really gets on your nerves?

Edited on by LN78

LN78

LN78

@Ralizah "Cocaine Bear" is apparently "based on real events". Not sure I want to know.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah I genuinely thought when I first saw that version of Winnie the Pooh, that it was a skit from a comedy show.

I'm weirdly intrigued to watch Cocaine Bear. Feels like it should have Nicholas Cage starring in it.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Ralizah

@LN78 Knowing how loose you can be with that phrase in movies, I'm sure somebody has a newspaper clipping somewhere of a bear getting into a camper's bag of cocaine. Or something.

edit: From wikipedia:

The film is inspired by the real story of a 175-pound (79 kg) American black bear that died after ingesting a duffel bag full of cocaine in December 1985. The cocaine had been dropped out of an airplane piloted by Andrew C. Thornton II, a former narcotics officer and convicted drug smuggler, because his plane was carrying too heavy a load. Thornton then jumped off the plane with a faulty parachute and died. The bear was found three months later in the north of the state of Georgia alongside 40 opened plastic containers of cocaine. The bear is currently on display at the Kentucky for Kentucky Fun Mall in Lexington, Kentucky, US, who named the creature "Cocaine Bear" in 2015.

@JohnnyShoulder That's the thing, right? They all seem like fake trailers from comedy shows.

Of the horror movie ones so far, I think The Mean One works best for me thematically. Also, I'm deeply intrigued by the fact that a homocidal Grinch is going to be played by the same dude who plays the clown from the Terrifier films (which bodes well, IMO, considering his tremendous performance in those films, where he builds an entire personality for a character who never speaks a single word of dialogue).

@KAIRU That... seems to be the premise, lol. That Elizabeth Banks is directing it makes it even more intriguing, since it seems WAY out of her usual wheelhouse.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

RR529

My Neighbor Totoro (Blu-Ray)

Probably the most famous anime film I've never seen, until now that is.

Not exactly sure what I was expecting, but it was a bit slower than I'd imagined. That said it was gorgeously animated and the pacing must have worked well as I absolutely teared up during the climax. I can only imagine it would have been a favorite of mine growing up if I'd gotten to it earlier.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

ralphdibny

I just watched that Death at a Funeral on Netflix. Really funny movie. It was the American remake, I haven't seen the original so have nothing to compare it to

See ya!

LN78

After last night's frankly awful double bill (both films were as bad as I remember but "Iron Man 3" - Ben Kingsley aside - was a particular stinker) we've got a couple of belters for after the football - "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and "The Long Kiss Goodnight" both written by "Iron Man 3" director Shane Black. I wonder why so many of his movies are set at Christmas?

Edited on by LN78

LN78

ralphdibny

Just watched Murder Mystery with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston on netflix. Weren't bad actually. Fairly funny and a nice story about a normal couple having an adventure together

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 And then Aliens please.

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder I read that there was a 4K remaster of "Aliens" in the works a while ago but it might have gone by the wayside thanks to the FOX/Disney merger. At least the most recent blu-ray is superb if that's the case.

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Don't think I had any of them on blu ray, but did have the DVD box set of the first four. You can imagine me drooling when I first saw Alien in 4K. It was the first one I bought too, and i fancy a rewatch soon.

JohnnyShoulder

I tried to watch Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio on Netflix over the weekend, but only lasted till the third or fourth song until I tapped out! If I had known there were musical numbers in the film, I wouldn't have bothered! 😂

WanderingBullet

Not a fan of musicals but I thought Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio was pretty good. Maybe because it was an animation, if it was a live-action film I would've definitely given it a pass.lol Anyways, I quite enjoyed the show but the accents were a bit jarring, though.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic