Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 7,221 to 7,240 of 8,930

LtSarge

So I haven't watched any movies from the Halloween, Friday the 13th and Saw franchises but I recently discovered that Netflix has the 2007 remake of the first Halloween, the 2009 reboot of Friday the 13th and the first Saw movie. For those who have seen these movies, would you say that it's fine to watch Halloween (2007) and Friday the 13th (2009) as my first movie in each respective series? And is Saw worth watching?

LtSarge

stvevan

@ltsarge for me id watch the originals where possible. i think too that saw is worth a watch. its not a huge blockbuster type, but i enjoyed it

stvevan

stvevan

@RogerRoger i watched Batman last night. was worth the 1.50. was a solid film, enjoyed it more than i thought.

agree with you that as bruce he was weaker. i didnt really like Alfred either. Selene, Jim, Penguin and riddler all good casting for me.

had a few minor gripes at certain scenes. overall 8/10

stvevan

LtSarge

@stvevan Well that's the thing, I haven't seen the originals available anywhere. I've been wanting to watch these movies for a long time and I just can't find a streaming service that has them.

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

@LtSarge It sounds like the decision has already been made for you due to the availability of the original films, but for me most of the time the original will be the better film. But if you have no way of watching them on any of the streaming services, what are you gonna do? I say watch the remakes/reboots, and then get round to the originals when you can, as it can be fun comparing them.

I watched Saw again quite recently on 4K blu ray, and I thought it still held up really well. The sequels get steadily worse though.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

sorteddan

@LtSarge
Yes for the Halloween reboot. I watched it for the first time earlier this month and it was fine. I don't think it will be considered anywhere close to the film classic that the original is. But it was an interesting take and I thought quite an enjoyable watch... Don't bother with the sequel to it though, that was terrible!

I was thinking about re-watching the original Saw film myself. It's definitely worth a go if you haven't seen it.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

LtSarge

@JohnnyShoulder Well I mean, the other option would be to not watch these movies and wait for the originals to be potentially added to a streaming service in the future. But if it's not that big of a deal then I'll watch the remakes/reboots.

Ah that's good to know. I think I'll watch Saw as well then!

LtSarge

LtSarge

@sorteddan Nice, I'll watch Halloween then! It sounded fine to be because it's a remake of the original but with added story. I'll avoid the sequel to the remake, thanks!

Great, I'll add Saw to my watchlist as well!

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@stvevan Am real glad you enjoyed The Batman, and would agree with your eight. I probably liked Alfred a bit more than you did, but needed a little more to form a proper connection, so can understand where you're coming from. Also pleased to see that it wasn't just me being grumpy about Battinson's Bruce! Despite those minor gripes, though, I do hope that the cast and crew get a shot at making a sequel. I know it feels like one is inevitable, but you never know with DC these days.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Kairu I remember watching it at the cinema when it first came out, and not knowing too much about I came away mightily impressed!

If I were to binge watch the series it would be over after the first film! 😂

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Fight_Teza_Fight

Just got back from the pictures & was a bit disappointed tbh. Myself & my wife love horror & it’s one of the few days of the year I get to torment my brother but nothing good was on. Had to choose between Pray for the devil, Halloween ends & smile. We went with the latter but it really wasn’t that great. I’ve been excited for Pray for the Devil for a while but got talked off based on the reviews.
It surely can’t be as bad as Smile...

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

nomither6

If anyone has Netflix I recommend ''The Ritual'' its a netflix original horror bro-flick with more of a focus on psychological and mythical horror but still has the gore moments . I gotta itch to rewatch when i have time later . last time i watched it was 2 years ago , its a really good movie that'll have you interested all the way through.

my only issue with it that i can remember was towards the end it can get...cheesy ? with the CGI ...

nomither6

RR529

Got the 90's Fatal Fury OVAs on Blu-Ray recently.

Fatal Fury: Legend of the Hungry Wolf (Blu-Ray)

First saw this online sometime about 10 years ago, and decided to pick up the OVA double pack on Blu-Ray once I noticed it was available.

Based upon the fighting video game of the same name (a big competitor of Street Fighter in it's time), it very much feels like the standard martial arts flick of the time (although anime'd up a bit, obviously). Not that that's a bad thing, as while it's not the deepest story, it's good cheesy fun (I especially liked the faux "Arnie" German accent the big bad had, a theme that carries over to the followup as well). Only thing holding it up is that there's no Mai yet, lol.

Fatal Fury 2: the New Battle (Blu-Ray)

Watched on the Blu-Ray double pack (with the first OVA).

I feel about this one a lot like how I felt about the first. It's no masterpiece, but good cheesy anime martial arts fun. I don't think the core story is quite as tight as it was in it's predecessor (though that's not terribly important for a film like this), however I'll rate it a tad higher as I believe the art/animation seems to be slightly improved (and because Mai makes her appearance, naturally).

Trailer for both (couldn't find a remastered one):

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

Watched the first two Jurassic Park movies again. I used to like 'em both equally, albeit for different reasons, but this time the original had the edge. I still love The Lost World (mainly thanks to the combined talents of Jeff Goldblum, Pete Postlethwait and John Williams) but watching it in close proximity to its near-perfect predecessor, some of its minor cracks are starting to widen.

Also watched The Fifth Element for the first time. What a heckin' mess. I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way, though. I can't really say that I enjoyed watching it, but I've enjoyed thinking about it since the credits stopped rolling, and respect its singular vision which, given what was presented on-screen, must've survived unmolested by studio executives. It's an absolute box of frogs, in both good and bad ways. Every time it gets something wrong (and boy, does it) it immediately balanced back out with something genius; whether that means it ended up being bang-average or not, I don't feel qualified to conclude. Perhaps that makes it great art, even if it isn't a particularly great movie. Or maybe it is. Oh, I don't know.

It's been given lovely treatment on 4K Blu-Ray, though, with a spiffy new Atmos track. Speaking of which, I'm now the proud owner of my very first 4K Blu-Ray movie, as I snagged the special Sonic the Hedgehog 2 steelbook from Amazon (the one with the cover that references the original game's box art).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

The_Moose

@RogerRoger What's your thoughts on JP3? I rarely see it discussed. I didn't think it was that forgettable personally but did suffer from a case of sequelitus in terms of having to raise the stakes (Spinosaurus and how Alan Grant could all of a sudden speak Raptor language).

Also the Fifth Element I totally agree. All over the place but I'd say it's a fun and daft movie.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. – Seneca

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Your discussion of The Fifth Element brings back some memories. It’s a movie I’ve only seen once many years ago, I was pretty young at the time and so I only have vague impressions in my mind, mostly of the art design and style. I barely remember any story beats other than the big reveal about what ‘the fifth element’ actually was. And I remember Bruce Willis of course, given his knack for stealing a scene.

I’ve often been tempted to rewatch it as an adult but for some reason have never pulled the trigger when I’ve seen it scroll across whatever streaming service it happens to be on during a random browse. In my mind, it’s a little step-sister to Blade Runner and when I rewatched that as an adult a couple years ago, I came away with similar mixed feelings that you just described. Your thoughts are much appreciated, as I think I’ll probably continue to just leave it alone and preserve the jumbled nostalgia in my mind, since it looks like a second viewing of it would only complicate my opinion further. 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@The_Moose I quite like JP3. Depending on my mood, I think I've even called it my favourite before, because of its simplicity and clever visual effects (it blends the puppets and CGI in single shots, which helps sell the illusion better). It's been a while, though. We're re-watching the whole series before getting around to Dominion, which is the only one I haven't seen yet, so I'm hoping JP3 still holds up.

@Th3solution Yeah, the parts of The Fifth Element that I disliked the most are the parts that simply haven't aged well, and not in a "bad CGI" way (after watching it, I was actually stunned to learn that the movie was made in 1997) so it's probably best to keep it buried in your nostalgia, especially since you've clung to its best aspects, a.k.a. the lavish visuals and surprisingly sweet final twist. Although yes, it was nice to look back and see Bruce Willis in fine form, given recent revelations.

I've never seen Blade Runner in its entirety. I have seen the opening ten minutes of its sequel recently, as a stress test for a sound system, and was wholly unimpressed, so I'm probably best steering clear!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Everything Everywhere All at Once is... well, it's certainly a thing that happened! No idea what to make of it, but am glad I watched it. Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan are exceptional talents, that much is clear, and I really like James Hong, so it was great to see him, too.

Also watched The Goonies, which I'd never seen before. I could write a bunch of words here, but not even the most eloquent of sentences could convey my feelings more accurately than "meh" so... yeah. That.

Making It So Since 1987

CthulhuFhtagn

Terminator movies. I've seen 1 and 2 many times (obviously), but never all of them back to back. I finished T3 yesterday, 3 more to go. I don't know why exactly but I like 3. it's not great but still enjoyable. maybe it's just nostalgia. I don't know.
I remember I hated T5 the only time I saw it, curious to see what happens this time.

CthulhuFhtagn

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic