Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 6,101 to 6,120 of 8,938

Ralizah

@Th3solution The new Matrix film assumes familiarity with the entire trilogy, so multiple characters and events from the second and third films are relevant for the new one. If you want to watch Matrix 4, I'd highly recommend watching the trilogy first.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@PhhhCough @RogerRoger @Ralizah
Thanks, friends. I’ll probably skip the series then. I’ll focus on those Craig films instead. 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LtSarge

@Th3solution @RogerRoger Awesome, I'll give them a watch then!

Just finished watching the first Bad Boys movie. Surprisingly, I've never watched it before despite growing up with movies like Blue Streak, which has Martin Lawrence, and shows like Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, which has Will Smith. I love both of those a lot, so I highly enjoyed Bad Boys as well. I definitely needed a funny movie to watch now after all the serious ones I've watched lately. Still holds up quite well even though it's stupid in a lot of ways. But yeah, will definitely be watching the other two movies as well. Didn't know they released a new one just last year! It's going to be interesting to see how that one differs compared to the first two.

LtSarge

nessisonett

Went to see Spider-Man and thought it was fantastic. Didn’t go too far down the gimmicky route and left things in a very exciting place for the future. They basically fixed most of what I disliked about the effects MCU-ification has had on the character.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Gremio108

Saw No Way Home the other day and enjoyed it. It was an interesting film; unique in many ways. More of a rumination on what it means to be a hero or a villain than an actual superhero film. I thought Alfred Molina was brilliant in it. Whenever conversation turns to my favourite actors, I never think to mention him, but he's superb

Catching up on the thread, it's nice to see No Country for Old Men getting a mention. One of my favourite ever films, for its unwavering devotion to the source material. The Road was similarly respectful towards the novel. Maybe it's a McCarthy thing.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

LtSarge

Finished watching Bad Boys 2 and overall, this is not a good movie. The biggest issue with it is that it's too damn long! It's 2.5 hours long and that's way too long for this kind of movie. The first one was 1.5 hours I think, so I don't know why they felt like making the sequel almost twice as long. There's just so much padding, I can think of plenty of parts that they could've cut out and it would've made the movie much better. I mean, it took me multiple days to watch through it! It just didn't have the same appeal as the first movie.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@LtSarge I think I went to see Bad Boys 2 at the cinema with somebody I liked, and the shared trauma of the experience ruined any chance of future romance.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

@RogerRoger Ouch, that sucks man. By any chance, have you watched the third movie yet or are you purposefully avoiding it in order to prevent another ruined relationship?

LtSarge

LtSarge

Just finished watching Spider-Man: Homecoming. I was so surprised to see it on Netflix today, apparently it was just added and I had to watch it immediately. It was a great movie! I loved the more relaxed tone of this Spider-Man compared to the Maguire trilogy. It was so refreshing considering I grew up with those movies. And once again, I like that it's part of the MCU because it makes it feel like a part of something bigger. Being able to see Iron Man in the movie and Tony Stark being Peter Parker's mentor was really cool. I don't think I would've enjoyed the movie as much if it weren't part of the MCU.

Here's hoping they'll add Far From Home on Netflix soon too!

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@LtSarge I love both original Bad Boys films and I've also watched the new one. Worth watching and worth watching soon after you've seen the first two just because there are loads of references/recurring jokes.

I'm Mike Looooowwwwwrrryyyyy

See ya!

Th3solution

@LtSarge I really liked Homecoming. I’m a big fan of the franchise so it’s hard to be objective, but Homecoming was such a pleasant surprise. They could have really messed up the Spider-Man integration with the MCU and I thought they nailed it. The Michael Keaton Vulture reveal was exceptionally well set up, and a real highlight. Keaton did an awesome job overall.

I think you’ll like Far From Home and No Way Home if you liked Homecoming. They are all very well produced.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LtSarge

@ralphdibny Haha. Alright, I think I'll give it a shot once I'm done watching Arrow season 8. Got so much stuff to watch now!

@Th3solution Yeah I've been so excited to watch these movies because they've eluded me due to them not being on Disney+. So as soon as they get added to Netflix I'm going to watch them.

And honestly, I think I like Tom Holland as Spider-Man. I've been contemplating replaying Marvel's Spider-Man on PS4 after having watched the movie since I still haven't played the DLCs but my save file was lost years ago as you well know. But then I remembered that Tom Holland is only in the PS5 version of the game, which is too bad.

LtSarge

RR529

Finally got around to Ralph Breaks the Internet. Not as good as the first, but as someone who grew up watching Reboot I always liked the concept of cyberspace being represented by some sort of futuristic cityscape, so I still mostly enjoyed it.

I do think it started to lean a bit too much into the stereotypical girl power theming that dominates a lot of core Disney's animated films these days, and while there's nothing inherently wrong with that, after the Frozen duo, Moana, Raya, & presumably Encanto, that seems to be more & more their thing this past decade (though admittedly this isn't taking Pixar's output into account).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

@LtSarge Actually, I think I'd give the third Bad Boys a shot sometime, if only because I tend to like modern resurrections of old brands, and reckon that Will Smith and Martin Lawrence might be a little more tolerable as older, wiser and more self-reflective versions of the same characters.

But I'd still watch it alone, methinks. Just in case it's some kind of curse.

@RR529 I really liked Ralph Breaks the Internet but I think you're right, I don't think it was as good as the original movie. I think the concept of videogame characters being alive is a good one (let's be honest, it's Toy Story for the digital age) but the sequel took things a tad too far. That being said, the scene where Ralph reads the comments was both heartbreaking and necessary.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger I misread, so I thought you said Bard Boys 3. Sounded like an interesting Witcher spin off!

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried I think Bard Boys is actually just the Bristol remake of Bad Boys.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@Kidfried @nessisonett You're both wrong.

Bard Boys is clearly the original Shakespearean manuscript which was discovered in the early 90s and quickly turned into a major motion picture.

"Forsooth, who doth hamper this ye olde transaction of contraband?"
"Verily, it is I, Earl Michael of Lowrey!"
"Egad! Authority is upon us! To arms, men! To arms!!"

Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

Just finished watching Jurassic Park for the first time and it was a great movie! I really like the concept of humans trying to play god by reviving dinosaurs and trying to control them, even if it is for entertainment purposes. I thought they explained the resurrection of the creatures well too, i.e. mosquitos preserved the blood and therefore the DNA of the dinosaurs and were fossilised in amber, which made it possible for scientists to extract it and thus clone new dinosaurs. The cloning process obviously isn't realistic but who knows, maybe we'll get there one day! Anyway, I thought the dinosaurs looked really good and there were lots of different species to see. Didn't care that much about the characters but it was cool to see Samuel L. Jackson and Jeff Goldblum in this movie. So overall, I really enjoyed watching Jurassic Park and I'm excited to watch the sequels in the near future.

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge I've seen the movie so many times, but, for the life of me, I can't remember Samuel L Jackson in it. Guess I need to rewatch it again.

Jurassic Park was, and is, a marvel of practical special effects. Frankly, the dinosaurs in that film are still vastly more convincing than the majority of CGI monsters you see in films even today.

Definitely the 90s blockbuster that has aged the most gracefully overall.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Ralizah @LtSarge Yeah, me too — I can’t remember Samuel L. Jackson’s role in Jurassic Park. 😅 Glad I’m not the only one.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic