Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,961 to 5,980 of 8,906

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer agreed, it's almost the perfect superhero movie... looking forward to seeing it again next week as its been a while.

The Tom Holland movies are decent tbh... not quite the level of Spider-man 2 but a fair deal better than Spider-man 3 and the two Amazing Spider-man movies.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

Just watched Eternals, enjoyed it too. The missus and I were more impressed by the cinema local to our new house though. Leather reclining seating with the most space and room I've ever had at a cinema... very impressed!

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Kidfried

Watched This is Spinal Tap last week. I expected it to be terrible, but it was good. Now I'm wondering: what's the best mockumentary?

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried Wow, why were you expecting it to be terrible??? I absolutely love Spinal Tap, it’s just the perfect line between outright absurdity and more clever jokes under the surface. Other great mockumentaries would be A Mighty Wind, Best In Show and Waiting For Guffman. What We Do In The Shadows is good too!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Kidfried

@nessisonett I expected it to rely heavier on gimmicks and I also expected it to have dated truly poorly.

And also I didn't expect the cast to be as good as it was.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried I agree with @nessisonett, What We Do In The Shadows is my fave. Watch the film, then the TV show as some of the jokes will make more sense that way. Especially in the last episode of the first season.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore glad to hear Eternals is good, I’m curious about it. If you’re at all interested in it, Dune is well worth seeing in the cinema. I absolutely loved it, though it is very much a part 1 of a larger story.

@nessisonett @Kidfried @Keith_Zissou @Voltan
If you enjoyed Spinal Tap and have any love for punk, Hard Core Logo is worth checking out. It’s darker than Spinal Tap but another excellent mockumentary.

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer yeah I am interested in Dune… I actually really liked the Lynch version growing up, regardless of its numerous issues. I really enjoyed the documentary on Jodorowsky’s failed attempt at making his version too.

The missus wasn’t all that up for it but I showed her the Mark Kermode review of it earlier and it’s changed her mind… so I’m hoping we’ll go catch it before it leaves the cinema. Thanks for the recommendation.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

Just watched the Suicide Squad sequel and really enjoyed it! Probably my favourite DC movie since the Nolan-verse… it’s as if Wes Anderson made a comic book movie. James Gunn is very talented.

**** DLC!

Voltan

@colonelkilgore He's definitely good at that kind of movie. I watched it recently too and enjoyed it as well, but to be fair - it's a lot like both Guardians of the Galaxy movies

My favorite action movie this year so far is Fast & Furious 9 though! lol
These somehow find a way to get even more ridiculous and stupid with each new one and I just love that

I haven't seen Shang-Chi yet and I hear it's very good.

Voltan

colonelkilgore

@Voltan I loved Shang Chi, it’s probably my favourite action film this year tbh. I haven’t watched Fast 9 yet… I’m not particularly into the series but I’m definitely open to some silly entertainment. I was kinda on the fence about renting it but the fact you enjoyed it so much will probably tip me over to getting it this weekend 👍

**** DLC!

Voltan

@colonelkilgore I actually really like where the series went. The first 3 movies are about driving cars around and they're totally meh to me and I almost didn't watch any others after those - I'm glad I did though, because 4 is pretty good and 5 is still my favorite in the series and all the ones that followed are really fun - as long as you're not one of the people who get offended when action movies have no regard for logic and physics

Voltan

colonelkilgore

@Voltan I’ve watched all of them except the latest one and there’s definitely fun to be had but there’s just something that prevents me from enjoying them in the same way I would an MCU property or a Mission Impossible movie etc. I’ll give it a go though.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore @Voltan I couldn’t get into the F&F movies. Their popularity has been one of the great mysteries of the universe, as far as I’m concerned. 😜
But I gave up after the …second movie?, maybe third? It’s all very forgettable in my mind. So perhaps I abandoned ship just when they were getting good. If I jumped in at F&F9 (or F&F5 for that matter) would I be lost? In other words, do the movies build on each other, narratively speaking?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Voltan

@Th3solution You can safely skip the 3rd one, it’s the least connected to others one. Going in with the 4th would be probably best from the story perspective but let’s face it, nobody’s watching these for the story.
I think you’d be fine starting with Fast 5 - and if that one doesn’t do it for you, don’t bother with the rest.
Also, I don’t blame you for giving up after the first 2, they’re super boring and I almost did the same (although obviously there are people who would tell you they’re the only ones worth watching)

Voltan

Voltan

@colonelkilgore Yeah, 4 is where they went from movies about driving cars (with 3 being all about driving cars sideways) to movies about a band criminals-gone-special-forces who just happen to use cars on their missions
It was just the first step though and 5 is much better.

Voltan

LtSarge

Finished watching A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010). Overall, I thought it was a good movie. I just love the concept of this franchise in general, i.e. being murdered in your dreams, so in that regard the movie was very satisfying to watch. The characters were mostly forgettable, but hey it was still a good movie.

It was a bit weird though to see Katie Cassidy in this movie. She was supposed to be a high school student, but she looked like she was in her mid-twenties and apparently she was back in 2010, lol.

LtSarge

InvaderJim

Watched the eternals and it was awful, easily the worst Marvel film ever, more boring and bland than 1st Thor movie film and far too long for no reason they could have done all that in 90 minutes. What a waste of 2 and half hours.

The end credit bit features some truly bad CGI that can only be described as amateurish at best.

InvaderJim

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic