Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,861 to 5,880 of 8,907

nessisonett

@Th3solution Everytime I see the word fanfare, I think of Danny Dyer on a carousel.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution hmmm, I’ll probably read a review or three first if I’m honest… I’ve been burned too many times by cheap and nasty knock-offs of things I like from ‘other’ media being adapted to film or TV. I’m not saying this is that but I’m sure we’ve all encountered that kind of disappointment before.

@Jimmer-jammer so I’ll post more on it tomorrow… I’m super tired after a real busy week… but I definitely liked it. It’s not one for the masses if you know what I mean… but is beautiful, thought provoking and rare film-making. My natural thirst for heroic mythic-fantasy was left unquenched… but my love of ‘show-not-tell’ symbolic cinema was thoroughly ‘exercised’.

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore thanks for that mini review, and nicely put! I agree with all you said here and will be reading your further thoughts. Hope you can get the rest you need!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Th3solution

After repeatedly seeing praise for it, I finally buckled down and watched Mad Max: Fury Road.

I can’t say that I didn’t enjoy it, but I do think it’s overrated. The action and kinetic cinematography is indeed impressive. But I think the film suffers from too much of the vehicular combat and explosive eye candy. All the action and fast-paced destruction is just plain exhausting and makes the whole experience a little fatiguing. When you take out all the action scenes, the storyline left over is pretty threadbare.

The acting performances were good when they had the chance. And I can’t say I disliked some of the unique visuals, but I was expecting more, narrative-wise. And maybe that’s the point. I’ve seen the original Mad Max and Beyond Thunderdome, but it’s been a while. I do remember the franchise isn’t necessarily known for its intricate plot lines or Shakespearean dialogue, but can I have at least a little story and exposition, please?

Oddly, the movie does make me want to play the video game though. 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Mad Max gets better upon repeated viewings for me and I appreciate the story beats more so.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution I notice you didn't mention Mad Max 2: Road Warrior which for me is by far the best Mad Max movie... and up there with the best action movies of the 80's. I get that you might well not fancy it after not enjoying the others... but its the quintessential movie of the franchise.

**** DLC!

MightyDemon82

Just finished watching the Green Knight what a fantastic movie, also watched Spectre as I never got around to watching it and Shang-Chi at the cinema on Saturday was great I'd pretty much written off the MCU but there is hope!

Looking forward to The Lighthouse as it debuts on Netflix on the 8th October.

MightyDemon82

ralphdibny

Finally got around to watching The Suicide Squad. Brilliant film and it's beautifully shot too, just looks great. I'm gutted I didn't get to watch it in the cinema as I still don't fancy it due to the pandemic. Would have been great to see on the big screen.

So very glad I managed to avoid all spoilers for this film. I would have been gutted if I found out certain things before I watched it and loads of it was a great surprise. Hoping I can do the same for Shang Chi until it drops on Disney+ in November.

See ya!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore I don’t remember if I saw Mad Max 2. If I did, I don’t remember anything about it so probably need to give it another try.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ralphdibny

@Th3solution I'm sure I've shared this tidbit about Mad Max before but the original film was actually dubbed for its American release so there are actually two versions knocking about. One sounds like it's being voiced by 1950s Hollywood actors and the other is in glorious Austraalian.

I think I like all of them but it's been some time since I've watched any. I struggle to remember any of Beyond Thunderdome though. The first one is definitely the outlier in its plot and premise but I think I prefer it because of that. The second one is a quintessential post apocalyptic movie. I am a big fan of the fourth too.

The game is actually really good, it like mixes all the good stuff from the original movies and Fury Road and makes something fairly unique (in terms of Mad Max anyway). I finished all of it except a few trophies for racing in certain vehicles.

See ya!

Th3solution

@ralphdibny I think Fury Road’s incessant action set-pieces seem very “video gamey”and are what actually makes me want to play a video game where I can do the things the characters are doing on screen. You know — blow up cars and make them flip through the air in bombastic ways which defy physics, shoot people through the windshield with a gun in one hand and the steering wheel in the other, sway from car to car on a 20 meter flexible pole at 120 kph, stealth climb underneath a big rig while it’s in a high speed chase and shank the driver in the kidneys…. etc, etc.

I also had an inexplicable desire to play Borderlands after watching the movie. 😂

ralphdibny

@Th3solution haha I can't remember if you do everything you just described in the game 😅. I'm sure the simpler things you've suggested are certainly in there though!

See ya!

SoulChimera

Just got back from seeing Dune at the IMAX. Visuals and sounds blew me away. Really enjoyed his past few films.

SoulChimera

BowTiesAreCool

@SoulChimera Villeneuve saved science fiction films from stagnation. Blade Runner 2049 might just be the best sequel film in existence.

BowTiesAreCool

MightyDemon82

@SoulChimera didn't realise it was out already. I'll probably go and see it as I loved the book and huge fan of the director's other works!

MightyDemon82

SoulChimera

Just got back from James Bond too. Decent film, much better than I was expecting. Won’t say anything else on it, for risk of spoilers.

@MightyDemon82 I haven’t read the book so I can’t compare, but I have seen it’s supposed to follow the book a lot more closely. I might actually pick it up and give a read.

Edited on by SoulChimera

SoulChimera

LtSarge

Just finished watching Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. I've never seen the Indiana Jones movies before as I missed out on a lot of movie franchises from the 80s and 90s. So during the past couple of years, I've been trying to catch up on classics such as Star Wars, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Jaws, E.T. and now Indiana Jones. Fortunately, HBO Nordic has all four Indiana Jones movies on the service so I'm able to watch through all of them, which is great!

The first movie was actually pretty good! I tend to not like older movies due to how outdated they can feel in terms of effects, stunts, lines etc., but Raiders of the Lost Ark felt pretty good all things considered. The late 1930s setting was compelling to me as I've recently become more interested in this period after having played the first Mafia game. Moreover, the plot of the Nazi Germans looking for a tool of mass destruction definitely made the story more interesting as it made the stakes higher for Indiana. So all in all, I really enjoyed watching this movie.

I've started watching a bit of Temple of Doom and so far that movie is looking promising as well. Can't wait to watch the rest of it as well as the other movies!

I also just realised that by watching these movies, I'll be able to familiarise myself with this franchise before the upcoming Indiana Jones game by Machine Games comes out. That's definitely a huge bonus because I tend to not appreciate licensed games that much if I don't know anything about the franchise, such as my recent playthrough of Shadow of Mordor.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Th3solution

@LtSarge The Indiana Jones movies are fantastic. The much maligned fourth one, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, was actually better than I remembered when I rewatched it last year. You’ll also be all prepared for Indianan Jones 5 which is set to release next year.

And you really should watch the original Lord of the Rings trilogy. They are some of my favorite movies of all time. Your recent enjoyment of Game of Thrones makes me think you’ll really like the high fantasy world of JRR Tolkien. Much less grim and violent than GoT, but still has the fantastic lore and world building.

LtSarge

@Th3solution I was kinda worried the fourth one was going to be bad since that's typically what happens when a movie franchise is "rebooted" decades later. But I'm glad to hear that you liked it, definitely looking forward to watching it now. Also, I didn't know that a fifth movie it coming out. That's pretty exciting!

Yeah, I really want to watch the Lord of the Rings movies but I didn't find them on HBO. However, I just looked it up and apparently they are being added when HBO Max replaces HBO Nordic in Sweden later this month, which is really exciting! Can't wait to watch them.

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic