Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 5,361 to 5,380 of 8,935

Jimmer-jammer

@ralphdibny I still childishly chuckle to myself every time I enter a Taco Bell...

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Demolition Man is legitimately one of my favourite movies. Top tier action movie. And I still don’t know what the three seashells are for!!!

Watched Dr No and From Russia With Love tonight. Some elements have aged really well, such as certain fight scenes. Some... have not. James Bond is not exactly a nice person but he honestly isn’t in the books either. It just all looks a bit worse on film. Plus the best characters in both, the sidekicks, died in rubbish ways.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@Arugula @nessisonett it's mental how they disguised far out sci fi narratives and not so subtle social commentary as action blockbusters with popular actors back then. It's definitely shaped the sort of films I like to watch today

See ya!

colonelkilgore

@ralphdibny @nessisonett @Jimmer-jammer @Arugula Demolition Man was the first movie that as a young kid, a friend and I took a train into the city to go to the cinema without adult supervision. As well as being a great sci-fi action flick it will always have a special place in my memory because of that (was only thinking about it the other day actually).

The sea shell thing has stuck with me too... we have a seashell carved from driftwood in our bathroom and I always refer to it as my futuristic bidet 😉.

**** DLC!

ralphdibny

@colonelkilgore haha you assume that at least one of the sea shells works like a bidet! Makes sense, one shoots water, one shoots soap and one dries but who really knows? The only real world thing I know about seashells is that you can "hear the sea" when you put them up to your ear, I don't think that will help with the obligatory post toilet sanitation.

In all seriousness though, that's pretty sweet. My partner was saying that we should get 3 seashells for our bathroom. I think I'd just settle for a t shirt or something 😅

My first memory of Demolition Man was watching the tape my parents rented from Blockbusters. It's really weird what they let me watch and what they didn't. I have a feeling that it depended on whether it was a 15 or 18. Maybe not though 🤷‍♂️. The only tape I remember not being allowed to watch when they rented it was Sliding Doors for some reason.

See ya!

colonelkilgore

@ralphdibny lol I was chatting about this to someone the other day. When I was a kid (like around 10ish I guess) we would all stand around discussing how many 15’s and 18’s we had seen... it was like something to be proud of in some weird way.

PS an 18 was worth like 5 15’s btw 😉

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@Arugula wow... a sea-shell bidet, blow-dryer, sanitiser dispenser trio is a far better (&
less vomit-inducing) idea.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@Arugula ahh, so I take it you haven’t heard of the ‘poop-knife’... having read most of that Reddit the chopsticks element is fairly par-for-the-course 💩.

**** DLC!

nessisonett

I think the first proper gory movie I saw was Sleepy Hollow. And then I ended up writing a story in primary school where the teacher was decapitated. Probably not a good sign.

ralphdibny

@colonelkilgore that 15/18 thing just gave me a random memory. I was either in reception year or year 2 of primary school, I can't remember which classroom was which but I feel like it might have been year 2 just because of the level of linguistic ability involved to have this conversation. I was on the "red" table 😂. But yeah, I remember talking about playing Duke Nukem 3D on the computer the night before and this girl that sat across from me said that her dad plays it but she has to go upstairs when he does and can't watch. I couldn't figure out why at the time but I guess it had something to do with "those alien b***ards"!

The game is probably on my mind anyway because of the "kick ass and chew bubblegum" line that is taken from the film They Live that I also watched last night.

@Arugula maybe their healthy diets in the future allowed for such a procedure. I can't imagine getting away with chopstick seashells after a taco I'd make for myself at home 😅

See ya!

Kidfried

Came here to say Tim Sale's artwork is brilliant.

Kidfried

zupertramp

@Kidfried I know he certainly has his defenders; I just don't see it.

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

TheFrenchiestFry

I like his take on Calendar Man, Solomon Grundy and Two Face but I hate the way his Catwoman looks honestly

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, I love everything except that bloody weird Catwoman. And I’m 50/50 on his Joker.

JohnnyShoulder

Possessor - Super violent sci-fi thriller directed by Brandon (son of David) Cronenberg. I really liked this, but boy is the violence intense and will probably be too much for some. It is not done just for the sake of it though, as the film is about an assassin who can possesses people so that they can get close to the target. All the special effects are done in camera too, so no (or very little) cgi, which goes along way in my book. Not all of it works if I'm being really nit picky, but nothing too shonky. The way the film visualises how someone is possessed is really neat for example. Also great performances by the two leads Andrea Riseborough and Christopher Abbott.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@squirrelguy22 The one where I turn the movie off and put on something more thrilling, like that new paint drying documentary 😉

JohnnyShoulder

Sound of Metal has dropped onto Amazon Prime in the UK this week. I really like Riz Ahmed and this has been one I've been wanting to watch since it came out.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Spaldy

@squirrelguy22

He knows he's gone insane and remembers his real life but opts to have the lobotomy anyway as he can't live with himself anymore and just wants to forget it all.

One of my favourite movies.

Dark mode or go home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic