Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,921 to 4,940 of 8,930

ralphdibny

@nessisonett it's the same with manga I think, they do colour versions of Dragonball that are more expensive than the b+w omnibuses. 🤔 Could colour it in yourself though, maybe, probably best not actually lol. I did have a google and the colour Scott pilgrim hardbacks do look nice though, I think there was a set of 3 for £52.99 at blackwells

See ya!

zupertramp

@nessisonett Being honest I didn't give much thought to their ages, nor how much they aged over the course of the story, while watching the film. Then again I was only kinda paying attention. I can see how weird it all is since you point it out though.

Ah, so I tried to watch Lovers Rock last night, picking it over the others in the Small Axe series because it has a fairly short runtime, and I was wondering, is it supposed to be filmed like it's at 12fps or something? Legitimately wasn't sure if I was having technical issues so I stopped it and watched something else.

@ralphdibny I thought the performances in Baby Driver were just bizarre. The script itself just seemed odd. Everyone behaved in these weird, unbelievable ways. Idk, things hit different for everyone but I just couldn't get behind all of the characters' strange reactions to everything. Hard to explain.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@zupertramp I don’t remember Lovers Rock being in a strange frame rate but then I watched it when it first aired on BBC so it might be different streamed on Amazon. It does have quite a woozy and dream-like atmosphere though and is probably the most optimistic of all the movies in the series.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp Same here with Baby Driver. Glad it wasn't just me. Felt a bit gimmicky to me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ralphdibny

@zupertramp @JohnnyShoulder I don't think you're wrong. There's definitely a gimmick in that the whole film is set up like a music video so everything else kind of serves that aesthetic. I think that's why performances can come across as bizarre.

It does kind of remind me of reservoir dogs in that way I suppose. Both kind of share the unbelievable characters that serve the gimmick of the film which in reservoir dogs case was the discontinuous narrative. I think it reminds me of early guy Ritchie too like snatch and lockstock. The characters are almost caricateures

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

zupertramp

@nessisonett hmm. There was certainly idk, haziness with the focus but it also had this judder to it. Weird. I can't find much on it online regarding the way it was filmed. Makes me think maybe it was something on my end.

@ralphdibny yeah, I could have been taking it all too seriously. It's been known to happen.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

ralphdibny

@zupertramp not at all! Like you said, different films just click for different people. There's loads of really popular films that I just find quite boring.

I think a lot of it is tongue in cheek though. Without being too pretentious about it, I'd say that the self awareness works to highlight the more "real" moments of the film like the relationships. In that the rhythmic editing and actions the actors make will get disrupted by moments of romance, sadness or intimidation so they stand out more. Sorry I ended up being pretentious about it lol.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

HallowMoonshadow

I've had the Nolan film Insomnia around the house for absolutely ages but never got round to actually watching it til last night.

... I didn't really think much of it at all. Pretty generic in all honesty.

Al Pachino was ok, I guess, as the lead. Robin Williams was honestly the highlight as the villain. Easily the worst film of Nolan's I've watched so far though.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ralphdibny

I watched the Jason segel Muppets movie just now, so good. So very very good (I can't find a happy tear emoji)

Might try Muppets most wanted later, I've never seen it but I don't have high hopes because of the lack of Jason segel

See ya!

HallowMoonshadow

Muppets Most Wanted is ok at best @ralphdibny.

The lack of Jason Segel or Amy Adams really does hurt it quite a bit. Walter is actually in it but... He's just kinda there and I'm not the biggest fan of Ricky Gervais either.

There's some good stuff in there still that I'd still say give it a try... But yeah not a patch on The Muppets 2011.

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ralphdibny

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I just finished it and it is way better than I thought it would be. Still nowhere near as good as the "first" one (though technically the 7th as Dr. Bunsen Honeydew would say 😂).

Im not generally a fan of Ricky Gervais except for Extras and The Office (Extras is actually one of my favourite TV shows) but he actually did pretty well with his number in this film. I actually didn't think this one was going to be a musical so I'm glad it was!

It had plenty of other actors in actual roles and cameos too which kind of takes the focus off Gervais anyway. Tina Fey and Ty Burrell being obvious highlights.

I think because I thought it was going to be pony, it allowed me to be pleasantly surprised by it! Both films are on iPlayer until Monday I think

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

mookysam

The other day I watched Klaus on Netflix, which is an animated origin story of Father Christmas. It's sweet and funny, and the animation style is quite attractive.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Th3solution

So, Wonder Woman ‘84...

The short version is that I liked it. For fans of DC or of the superhero genre in general, there is a lot to like here.
I don’t think it quite reaches the heights of the genre’s best movies, but it’s far from its worst.

As far as acting, Gal Gadot and Christopher Pine continue to be great, the new characters also do well, with special shout-out to Pedro Pascal.

Most of my complaints would be related to the pacing. I do appreciate that the director has gone for a more character centered approach and dialed back the bombastic and exhausting action sequences that have run amok in the latest DC and Marvel films (and really almost all the action hero and Sci-Fi movies in recent years). The ease with which special effects and computer assisted graphical renditions can be shoved into scene after scene has made some movies so tiresomely full of visual spectacle that it ironically has made them actually more boring (see DC’s Aquaman as a prime example). Joker showed what could really be done when they slow down the story telling process and let the characterization shine. WW84 doesn’t get even close to being the type of character study that Joker was, but it treads a decent middle ground where it has less action and the character development is given a little room to breathe. There’s still plenty of cool fighting choreography and Wonder Woman jumping, kicking, flipping, lassoing, and just being an all around superhero however. It’s just that the flow was not as smooth as I would have liked.

So unfortunately, the script and storyline is a little disjointed even though there was obvious care to focus on the villain’s motivation and schemes. Some of the movie logic just doesn’t make sense, and how the fantastical things work within its world is poorly explained, in my opinion. There is just a lot of suspension of disbelief that you have to submit to in order for you to enjoy the film. Most fantasy and fictional stories with supernatural and superpowered beings require you to not question how things work too closely or it all starts to all fall apart, but it seems a little more egregious here.

Nevertheless, if you can get past the “Huh? How does that work?” and if you don’t mind a lot more moments of quieter character development between your explosions and bullet dodging, then it’s well worth the 2.5 hour investment to see DC’s latest installment.

I do think that DC has an interesting problem on their hands though. With my recent experience with the polar opposite Joker and Birds of Prey, we now have this and it all seems like the DC cinematic universe is not sure what it wants to be. The upcoming Batman film will be a real watershed project to see if they want to keep things gritty, go after the Marvel goofiness and camp, try to walk the fine line between both, or do something else entirely.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution From what we have seen so far of The Batman, I will be very surprised if it turns out to be goofy.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder That’s probably the right choice. The attempt at focusing heavily on humor was a disaster in Birds of Prey. The comedic relief in Justice League, mostly provided by Flash, was hit-or-miss ...mostly miss. I remember thinking it was a poor attempt at copying Peter Parker. So keeping things dark is likely to work better for the franchise. As much as I personally liked the Nolan Batfilms, I do think they really have to separate the new movie somehow, so as not to few like a Nolan knockoff. Obviously Pattinson is going to bring his own interpretation, but I wonder if it can be as groundbreakingly distinctive as Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker was from Leger, Leto, and Nicholson’s.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I think DC/WB are trying a different tact, and I don't think whatever tone and direction they settle with for The Batman will effect the other films like Wonder Woman etc, seeing as its connection to the DCEU was eliminated. Defo for The Batman sequels and if the prequel tv show still goes ahead, it is important that they get the tone of this movie right. I can't see them doing something similar to Batman and Robin. I hope not anyway.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Thanks for your Wonder Woman '84 write-up. I was curious what folks would make of it after the numerous delays, and this year providing an unforeseen break from standard superhero oversaturation. Did you brave the cinema, or watch it via streaming at home?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I chose to watch it streaming at home (can’t beat free!) but there are definitely moments that would have been more impressive and enjoyable watching on the big screen with the theater sound and ambiance. Would it have been worth the $15 ticket price? Eh, probably. But the ability to remain safe and comfortable at home and not have to pay anything extra to watch it was much appreciated. It’s only on HBO for a month, and it’s a movie I might just purchase for my superhero movie collection. We’ll see.

I talked to a buddy who had a completely different opinion on the movie though. He really disliked WW84. His main gripe was with the ending, and I can see it being a little bit polarizing among fans.
And yes, as I see it, the movie suffered from having the air sucked out of the hype, courtesy of SARS-COV2. Also the editing and flow I was referring to above might have been collaterally damaged by the production delays and changes in direction that things had to take when everything shut down.

Be sure to drop some impressions if you watch it. I’m curious what a DC aficionado thinks about it.

Edited on by Th3solution

nessisonett

@Th3solution It sounds like pretty much what I thought of the first movie, not that bad but also not exactly doing anything too interesting. The setting does look fun though and I’d quite like a movie that ramps up the camp.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic