Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,881 to 4,900 of 8,865

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder I’m hyped for Ahsoka, Obi-Wan and Lando shows tbh. Some great characters there.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@BearsEatBeets that's awesome if that's true about Daredevil, just because it could potentially officially canonise the Netflix MCU shows which were always kind of in this grey area, moreso now that they've all been canned in favour of a line up of more direct movie spin offs. Even if they end up decanonising them in some multiversal shenanigans, it would be good just to get some recognition for them on the big screen!

To my knowledge, the only MCU TV show that's been referenced in a film was agent Carter when Jarvis featured in avengers endgame. Obviously the movies get referenced loads in the shows and characters pop up like Lady Sif and Nick Fury.

See ya!

nessisonett

Some really cool Marvel news too, Ant-Man 3 with Jonathan Majors as Kang, Ironheart TV Show (ppl will be upset but they’re totally setting up young avengers), Armor Wars with Don Cheadle, trailers for the new shows coming soon, an FF movie from Jon Watts, Tim Roth back in She-Hulk, Quasar and Ms Marvel being in Captain Marvel 2... the list goes on!

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett They have scaled back the Star Wars movie releases but are releasing a f ton of TV shows.

If the Ahsoka show is as good as Mando, that will one to watch. Maybe Obi-Wan Kenobi. But not sure about the rest.

I'm a little bit more optimistic from how good Mando is. But they do seem to be repeating the same things as they did with Marvel. Will be crazy popular but will be over saturated AF. I enjoyed the majority of Marvel films but by the end I become fed up with it all.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Obi-Wan and Boba Fett were originally anthology movies, which were cancelled in the wake of Solo bombing at the box office (arguably due to oversaturation of the brand, amongst many other things). It's nice to see them making the most of their good ideas, and not just letting them rot on a shelf someplace. Shows how important streaming has become.

But it's a bit ironic, isn't it? A movie is two hours. A miniseries is usually around five or six, and a full season of television can be up to twelve (nowadays; used to be twenty). If all these things would've stayed as movies, then they wouldn't be taking up nearly as much of people's time.

And yet, as movies, they were somehow oversaturating the brand. Strange, isn't it?

With any luck, these Star Wars shows won't be as interconnected. They've said that Ahsoka and one other show will be set "during the era of The Mandalorian" so they'll likely share some characters and plot threads, but Obi-Wan's show will be decades separate. At the most, it could overlap with Andor, but there's no indication that Cassian even believed in the Jedi, so it's doubtful he ever met one. The Bad Batch would be more likely. As for Lando, well... that'll depend on who they cast. I loved Donald Glover's take on the character, but if they're bringing back Harrison Ford for a fifth Indy adventure, I reckon Billy Dee Williams would be up for leading a miniseries, and I think I'd prefer an older, "one last ride" Lando show (which would further separate it from everything else going on elsewhere).

Anyway, nerdy ramblings aside, the point is that they can't all be interconnected like the MCU was. I think you'll be okay picking and choosing which shows to follow, and which to ignore.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder @RogerRoger Interconnectedness aside, flooding the viewing market with all things SW does take some of the shine off each show as it's own individual entity imo. Something to be said for a degree of rarity. Part of Mando's appeal for me is how it's really one of a kind at the moment. Soon it'll be "just another SW series" which seems a little unfortunate.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

RogerRoger

@zupertramp Very true. At least Mando was the first, and the blueprint for everything that follows. It'll always be remembered as such, regardless of what comes next.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp If you throw enough crap at the wall some of it will stick eventually.

@RogerRoger The whole interconnected thing with the Marvel mcu did do my head in towards the last few movies. One of the reasons why I enjoyed Logan and Deadpool so much.

We shall see with the new stuff, but I will remain on the cynical side of the fence until proven otherwise.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder ha, the Disney motto.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Given what Disney did to Star Wars before Mando came along, and given their previous form with the MCU, I don't blame you for staying cynical. Not one bit.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I have a mate at work who is a massive Star Wars fan, I've spoken about him before, and he is more cynical than me. Saying stuff like it all feels stale, they could do anything and all they do is use the same characters whose stories have already been told etc. I'm trying to get him to watch Mando as one i think he will really like it and two because it might make him have less hate for the series.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder ...because, as we all know, hate leads to suffering.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

I watched Lethal Weapon 3 and 4 recently, I thought number 3 was almost as good as number 1 because of Riggs' new foil and love interest. I'm gutted that she was relegated to the pregnancy trope in the fourth film but overall that plot thread led to a fitting bittersweet ending for the series that I still can't get out of my head days later. I think I'm a bit emotional from other things anyway but I just have the end credits song "Why can't we be friends" stuck in my head and it feels so bittersweet!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I think the suffering came with episodes 8 and 9...

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Pretty sure the Dark Side had taken full hold by that point!

@Th3solution ...so, Birds of Prey was that bad, huh?

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Oh boy... Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn... the awkward title should have been a sign to me of an awkward movie, but I actually liked Suicide Squad much more than the average Joe; it wasn’t my favorite comic inspired movie by any stretch, but I think it got a bad wrap. And compared to Birds of Prey, it’s friggin’ Casablanca.

Actually, I haven’t posted official thoughts on BoP because after about 45 minutes I just had to turn it off and I favored catching up on some TV shows instead (the wonderful Mando and my new jam, The Umbrella Academy) So as per recent discussion, I probably need to finish watching BoP before passing full judgment, but it’s just not very good so far. So far I would compare my time with it as akin to a root canal, only without the anesthesia.

And it’s too bad, because I really love Ewan McGregor. He’s just not very good in this movie though. And I liked Margot Robbie as Harley in SS, but she seems to shrink when being in the spotlight full time here. In both actors’ defense, the script they were given is probably the biggest problem.

The film just really doesn’t know what it wants to be. It tries to be funny, comical and yet tragic and foreboding. It accomplishes neither.

Again, this is my impressions of the first half of the movie before I just had to take a break. And perhaps watching it in the heels of the fantastic Joker was always going to set it up for failure in my eyes.

I’ll let you know if I can stomach the latter half and if it redeems itself.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution Still find it cool that Johnny Goth is Joker’s body double in that movie, I’ve followed his music career since he was getting a couple thousand views on YouTube! The movie was kinda pants but personally it wasn’t as bad as Suicide Squad.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Eeesh good luck that. It does not get any better, in fact it gets a whole lot worse for Birds of Prey. At least some of action scenes with Harley were nicely done, if a tad over choreographed. So at least it had one redeeming factor. Which is more than i can say for Suicide Squad, an awful awful movie.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Savage! Something tells me I've just gotten more enjoyment out of reading your sharp-tongued takedown than I would out of the film itself, so I'll keep skippin' on by. Thanks for suffering its charms so that I (and others passing through) don't have to!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic