Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,561 to 4,580 of 8,866

Th3solution

I watched Alita: Battle Angel on a whim.

Oh boy... where to begin...

I’ve not been this split about a movie in a while. For starters, it’s a pretty bad film. It’s just not very good. The screenplay is awful, the acting is mostly atrocious, and the plot is borderline ridiculous. It’s a cringe-a-minute production between the awkward romance, the completely lack of character development, and the nonsensical decision making going on in the story. I’m just shocked that Robert Rodriguez and James Cameron put this thing out there.

And don’t get me wrong, there are fantastic production aspects to the film. It’s a wonderful visual spectacle. The action and fight scenes are some of the best that I’ve seen, especially for being mostly CG. Alita herself is strangely captivating in how they made her look realistic and also appear like a living, breathing anime character. It is slightly shocking as the camera switches back and forth between her with the huge anime style eyes and the heart shaped face and then pan over to a real actor. It almost makes all the real people look like that have tiny beady little eyes. So in the end it makes both her and the people look weirdly off-putting.

I really enjoyed watching Alita’s character in action though. The martial art style fighting and acrobatic, almost dance like way that she fights, jumps, runs, and roller skates is just so cool. She reminds me a little of 2B in NieR Automata with the nimble android fight style.

In the end, the excellent graphics and choreography of the fighting was just barely enough to make the 2 hours worthwhile. The subpar world building, character development, and storyline are very disappointing considering all the effort that was made to make the film look so good.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution That’s quite similar to my feelings. The action and fight sequences were great but every ‘emotional’ scene or character development fell totally flat. To be honest, that sums up a lot of anime I’ve seen though!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Arugula Out of curiosity did you watch the show itself? I feel like once you get the context for what was adapted and how things were changed you'd understand why a lot of people, myself included detest that film.

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Yep it wasn't great, cool looking action scenes can only hold a film together so much when the rest of the film is a pile elephant dung. Totally agree with you on the design of Alita, it took me out of the film every time she shared the screen with a human.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Tjuz

@Ralizah Whew. I'm 12 days late on this reply, but late is better than never! I've never seen Batman: Mask of the Phantom, or any animated DC movies for that matter. I have been watching the new Harley Quinn animated show and am currently midway through season 2. Really love that show. Definitely recommended if you haven't yet given it a shot yourself!

Tjuz

RR529

Just ordered my next set of Blu-Rays. Since I'll be watching these mostly over October I decided to go for a general Halloween vibe.

Ghostbusters - The original one, which will be the comedy of the group.
Ghostbusters II - It was actually a double pack, so I'll get this one as well. I'm sure I'll find a way to squeeze it in.
Gemini - Some sort of Japanese horror film. Never seen it before, but it should be a welcome break to all the kaiju films I've been getting.
The World is not Enough - The next Bond film in line, and the only one in this order that's not in the spooky spirit.
Halloween - The original. Never really seen it in full, but I hear it's supposed to be good.

Also watched Aliens over the weekend, though I haven't yet written up an impressions piece.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

zupertramp

@RR529 You might temper your expectations on the original Halloween. I only say this because I just recently watched it for the first time and, I don't know, I thought it was extremely boring. I think some of this is there was no nostalgic appeal for me, which probably accounts for much of this movie's continued adoration. It's okay, I'm the same with say, Legend, because I saw it as a kid and was spellbound by it so I'm willing overlook how bad it is even into adulthood. This isn't to say Halloween is bad but, subjectively, I didn't find it even remotely scary. It's definitely a "you had to be there" movie if you ask me.

Also it never hurts to lower your expectations lol.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

JohnnyShoulder

So true...

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder The only thing I've seen him in other than Twilight was Rover (or is it The Rover?). Anyway not knowing much about his acting chops I'm still very much looking forward to his Batman. Seems better than Affleck.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp Yeah he was in The Rover. You should check out those other films, I can recommend them (although I've not seen the last 2). Good Times might not be an easy watch though for some, but i found it more bearable than something like Uncut Gems.

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder I've been planning on watching The Lighthouse and The Devil All the Time, it's really just a matter of time, but I'll add those others to my ever growing queue as well.

I've also been recommended High Life but I wasn't too sure about that one.

Ridwaano

Dragon quest your story highly recommended!
Made for Gamers, Untitled

Ridwaano

Th3solution

@zupertramp @JohnnyShoulder To me, he will always be Cedric Diggory. The only Hufflepuff whose name I actually remember.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I don't know what on earth you are on about. 😂

HallowMoonshadow

That's Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire Sol's on about @JohnnyShoulder if you're still a little clueless

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @JohnnyShoulder Yeah, I think it was Pattinson’s first major gig. He became Edward shortly thereafter.
The teen heartthrob role of Cedric in Harry Potter, followed by becoming Edward where he [apparently ... don’t know since I’ve never spent 2 seconds on Twilight] doubled down on being the heart’s desire for every teenage girl, it had the makings of becoming typecast but it appears that to his credit he was able to escape that and take on a variety of roles.

nessisonett

@Th3solution I was 8 when Twilight came out. Safe to say RPatz glittering in the sunlight made an impression 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ah ok. I have seen the HP films and aware that RP was in them but not well versed in all the lingo or recall his character. I watched them all quite close together one Xmas period a few years back. They were OK, but I have no desire to watch them again. Not seen any of the Twilight movies either, and have no desire to ever watch those.

Oh and Sol the image you posted is not working for me, it is coming up 'image not found.'

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic