Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,541 to 4,560 of 4,725

nessisonett

Hobbes and Shaw was hilarious and a really enjoyable movie from start to finish. I still maintain that Idris Elba is terrible but his part didn’t require much acting ability. I appreciated seeing the weird splicing of London landmarks and Glasgow streets as they drove past the Greggs and Pret I sometimes go in for lunch. Never thought I’d see the day when The Rock would drive past Livi Tower, where I spend so many hours at Uni!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Glad you enjoyed it! Never knew that about London and Glasgow. Is it number 9 or 8 next for the main series of films?

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

There is no longer a good time to release a game. There are only less s**t times to release a game

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder I watched 8 yesterday and actually forgot to write about it! Honestly not much to say, it wasn’t that great to be honest. Next one’s 9, which comes out in cinemas next year due to coronavirus. I’ll probably end up going to see it at this rate!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

RogerRoger

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End was an unexpected joy for me. Despite a nearly three-hour runtime (one that could've really done without a bizarre fifteen minutes of bartering halfway through, which sees everybody double-cross one another, only to end up right back where they started) I was hooked from beginning to end, and it quickly became my favourite.

The cinematography was a step up from before, serving the fantastical other-worldly nature of the story with plenty of gorgeous "event shots", and the music was suddenly more melodic and therefore much more memorable as a result. Everything had a sense of epic finality to it, as though the director had started every scene by yelling "Right, this is the end of the trilogy, everybody! Your last hurrah, so make it count!" into his megaphone (making up for the somewhat lacklustre middle film). I liked where all the characters ended up, after fighting through many an imaginative action set-piece, and found myself grinning throughout. Popcorn entertainment at its most satisfying, and a fine farewell to an overall terrific trilogy.

Which is perhaps why Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides felt so... I don't know, there was just something "off" about the whole thing. It lacked energy (Jack casually and silently walking across carriage rooftops during an opening street chase, rather than leaping and yelping) and visual flair (when they arrived at the story's big finish, I literally blurted out "Pfft, is that it?") and was lumbered with a whole bunch of distracting nonsense about mermaids and a preacher (seriously, who cares?!). The music was back to bland repetition and the CGI was a definite downgrade, defying convention. Ian McShane made for a good Blackbeard but, like the rest of the production, I felt like he'd been dialled down to about 75% of his potential. The weakest of the series for me; at least when Dead Man's Chest padded its runtime with a bunch of aimless wandering, it was doing so in service of a larger story.

On the basis of such a letdown, and with the warnings of @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy floating to the surface, it was with much trepidation that I started up Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge (what a wonderfully dumb title; I much prefer the US original, Dead Men Tell No Tales). Perhaps as a result of this caution, I came away pleasantly surprised. It wasn't perfect, not by a long shot, but it at least justified its own existence by doing new things with the established cast (regardless of whether it did them well or not). There was more spectacle and way more energy than On Stranger Tides, particularly from Johnny Depp who, in some brief moments, came close to matching his original performance. Javier Bardem made for a cracking villain, with his well-visualised ghost crew and a great ship-eating ship at his command.

With that, I don't think I'd dread a sixth film (which is reportedly in the works). If the order was flipped, and On Stranger Tides were the most recent, I think I would.

Ranking them, I'd settle on the following:

1: At World's End
2: Curse of the Black Pearl
3: Salazar's Revenge (a.k.a. Dead Men Tell No Tales)
4: Dead Man's Chest
5: On Stranger Tides

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I was gonna say @RogerRoger that the subtitle we got of Salazar's Revenge was really naff instead of the pirate based "Dead Men Tell No Tales" when we first mentioned it 😂

I'm surprised to see the third end up first on your list... But then again I seem flip flop rather hard on how I feel about the Pirates films other then the first so whom am I to argue? 😅

I thought they cancellesd the sixth though didn't they? They were rebooting it without Johnny Depp last time I heard!

"Well that was fun. Horrible, but fun!" Fargus The Jester - Pandemonium (After a summoning a monster that destroyed his home town)

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It caught me by surprise, as well. Salazar literally says "Because dead men tell no tales!" and the camera zooms up and the title comes into view, and it's... [does typical Jack Sparrow hand gesture]... that. Urgh. Reminds me of the whole Die Hard 4.0 nonsense, only worse because nobody says "Live free or die hard!" right before the title flashes up on the screen!

It surprised me, too, because all I'd really remembered about the third is its ungodly runtime. So much of it was up my alley, though; the gorgeous slow-motion shots of spectacular nonsense, like the flipping of the Black Pearl underwater or the final battle in the whirlpool, are my kinda thing. Curse of the Black Pearl might be a better film, but At World's End is a better audio-visual experience, and I wasn't exactly turning up to a Disney family blockbuster for anything more substantial than that.

Have they? Oh, that'd actually have me thinking that's a shame. Ah well. To be honest, everything ended well enough to leave be (even with that post-credits scene). Fair enough!

Making It So Since 1987

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Turns out they cancelled the cancellation and reboot from the sounds of things @RogerRoger so the sixth is back on!

Though they have no idea what Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow's role will be in the sixth 😂

"Well that was fun. Horrible, but fun!" Fargus The Jester - Pandemonium (After a summoning a monster that destroyed his home town)

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

Arugula

The Lincoln Lawyer.

Just threw this on Netflix at 1am for a bit of white noise and surprisingly ended up watching the entire thing. A courtroom drama of compelling viewing.

Arugula

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 His review of Sucker Punch still makes me chuckle!

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

There is no longer a good time to release a game. There are only less s**t times to release a game

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder Definitely a good one. His reviews of the 'Transformers' movies are always a laugh - 'comparable to undergoing a two and half hour seizure inside a metal dustbin' was how he summed one of them up. Brilliant.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

nessisonett

I watched Jerry Maguire for the first time today. I have to say, I really enjoyed it for what it was and Tom Cruise proves to be endlessly watchable despite everything. Regina King is brilliant as usual and Jonathan Lipnicki is great as far as child actors go. Didn’t think I’d like it as much as I did.

Edited on by nessisonett

RogerRoger

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

Though they have no idea what Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow's role will be in the sixth 😂

I think he'd work well in a cameo / mentor capacity to a new crew. Any continuation won't feel the same without Barbossa anyway, although he's been dead before so... eh, anything could happen!

Making It So Since 1987

Arugula

Just Mercy is available to rent for free on the US PSN store if anyone is interested.

Arugula

Th3solution

@Arugula Feeling in the mood for being socially conscious, I went ahead and gave Just Mercy a spin. Thanks for the recommendation.

It’s a really good movie. Certainly it’s very timely with the current state of events in the U.S. and I guess it’s a nice gesture to offer it for free. I’d encourage everyone to give it two hours of your time. First off, it will be an enjoyable watch because of the great acting, solid production, and interesting true story. Secondly, it helps to keep abreast of the BLM efforts and supporting a good cause by keeping informed. I’m not always a fan of movies that have political or social themes because they can come off as preachy or exaggerated, which ends up undermining the good causes they are trying to accomplish. Here in Just Mercy I think they strike a good balance. It prompted me to investigate and do a little googling afterward to read up on the characters and events and it seems an accurate representation of Stevenson and McMillian’s case - as well as the situation in 1980’s Alabama.
If I’d have watched this a year ago when it came out then it likely would not have resonated quite as strongly as it does now with how things have unfolded in society.

I like how the film helped to expose some of the corruption that has existed in the Deep South, but also how it champions individuals like those in the Equal Justice Initiative who have been laboring to change the status quo.

Not to mention, we get to have Captain Marvel, Killmonger, and Electro all on screen together. 😜

But seriously, if you like true story films, it’s a good one. Especially if you like legal battle related dramas and are curious to delve into the social injustice scene in America. I do wonder if you British and European folk will struggle to understand the accurately depicted American Southern accents. We’ve discussed this before here and I think most of you all do fine with interpreting the very modified form of English that exists in places like Alabama, but even I struggle sometimes to piece together the local dialect. But otherwise, I think you’ll come out the other side of the film edified by the message and content. The movie might serve as a timely call to action that could motivate those who are on the outskirts of the issues at hand.

Edit: oops... I just now caught up on reading the chit-chat thread and see that the forum is taking a much needed break from politics talk. I didn’t intend to try to stir the pot with my mini-review above, rather I was inclined to share a satisfactory cinema experience.

Edited on by Th3solution

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Arugula

@JohnnyShoulder Pretty neat gesture by Sony. Obviously very relevant given current affairs. I usually enjoy courtroom dramas so I might watch it this weekend.

Edited on by Arugula

Arugula

Ralizah

@Th3solution I don't see any pot stirring. No reason you shouldn't review a movie and talk about the subject matter a bit just because I ticked someone off.

Anyway, yeah, Just Mercy was excellent... and infuriating. It's pretty historically accurate, too.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2020/01/0...

My favorite bit:

"It was ironic to have people in the community tell me, 'You’re a lawyer, you should go to the "To Kill a Mockingbird" Museum,'" Stevenson says. "I had the same response every time: 'I'd love to, but I’m really busy freeing an innocent black man who has been wrongly convicted of a crime and facing execution.' The disconnect between romanticizing that story and indifference to injustice in a real wrongful conviction, that very much parallels my story."

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Ralizah (Knowing you won’t read this for a little while but hopefully eventually) Thanks for the link. It’s an interesting quick read. I’m fascinated by true stories. Real life is often stranger than fiction.

Another quote from Stevenson I enjoyed:
“I told Michael the one area where he didn't have to be authentic was my body. He didn't have to lose the "Black Panther"/"Creed" body. He could keep all of those abs to play me.” 😂

So on that lighter note —
Have you all ever thought about what actor you’d choose to play you if your life story was made into film?
I’m not sure if there is an actor handsome and buff enough to play me.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic