Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 2,261 to 2,280 of 8,930

Ralizah

The Dark Knight is my all-time favorite superhero movie. It's so well-paced. Ledger's acting is so compelling. And Nolan maintains a feverish intensity throughout. I also enjoy the morality play aspects of the second half, and the way their solution for finding the Joker tapped into public anxieties about our government's habit of casually eroding freedoms in the name of "security" and protecting us from madmen. The movie might take itself a TAD too seriously, but it's still amazing. One of the few blockbusters I can rewatch pretty much any time, any where.

Of course, Batman Begins was also great and did a fantastic job of reinventing the character and mythology for a modern audience.

The Dark Knight Rises is a mess. What a horrible way to end the trilogy.

I'll always enjoy the first two Nolan Batman films more than anything Marvel/Disney churn out.

@FullbringIchigo The problem with using Joker or an unknown person is that they needed someone who was free, powerful, and well-known to the public to be the scapegoat for Harvey's crimes so that public discontent could be channeled toward them. Having some random person commit those crimes would just make the already unstable city angrier at the incompetence of the police.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Gremio108

@Frigate Katie Holmes was in 'Thank You For Smoking' with Aaron Eckhart and the two had a sex scene together. There were rumours at the time that Tom Cruise got a bit jealous, and kicked off when it was announced that Holmes and Eckhart would be acting together again.

Like I say, it was a rumour at the time, but it's a rainy Saturday and I've got nothing better to do than stir up some Hollywood gossip.

@kyleforrester87 Dredd was a top film.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

FullbringIchigo

@Ralizah true but i still think it didn't need to be Batman but that could be because i really don't like "Hero is made out to be the villain stories" because it's never really believable and is then sorted out in the next movie anyway with little to no impact on anything

it's also the one thing i hate about the Spider-Man Far from Home movie

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Yeah me too on TDK, so much better than the trash that has come out from DC since then.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

Again with the random, unpopular opinion about Batman, but the only film of the Nolan trilogy I can stand to see on my shelf is Batman Begins. The other two are such a travesty of cinema and superhero storytelling (at least to me) that I like to pretend they don't exist, and that there's just this kinda okay-ish, live-action take on Batman: Year One available to watch once in a blue moon, set to Hans Zimmer music and featuring six great actors (Caine, Freeman, Neeson, Oldman, Watanabe and Wilkinson) working overtime to prop up a bunch of other half-hearted, showed-up-for-the-paycheque performances.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Such a cold take on the Nolan Batman trilogy @RogerRoger ! I respectfully disagree and say that Cillian Murphy does a good turn as Dr. Jonathan Crane/Scarecrow at the very least!

As for my opinion The Dark Knight Rises sucks summet awful (I can quite clearly hear what Tom Hardy's saying as Bane) I can only guess that a reason or two for it's lower quality might be due to Ledger's tragic passing and a hasty change of plans but who knows?

The Dark Knight and Batman Begins are pretty stellar on the other hand (Dark Knight especially so, one of my favourite films and definitely one I can watch multiple times)

Danny Devito as Penguin in Batman Returns is a pretty awesome villain too. The rest of the movie is a bit over the place... But Penguin is great

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Gremio108

Still The Lego Batman Movie for me.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Even colder when I see @Gremio108 call out The LEGO Batman Movie and realise I'd rather watch that three times in a row than watch the Nolan trilogy again.

But hey, each to their own!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @Ralizah @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Frigate you know there is one Batman movie i never see anyone bring up but i LOVE it and that is

Batman the Movie from 1966
Untitled

yes it's campy, it's cheesy and it's story is kinda dumb BUT it's SO much fun plus how many other Batman films have The Joker, The Riddler, The Penguin and Catwoman team up in the same film
Untitled

not to mention giving birth to one of the best memes so good that even Wallace and Gromit do it
Untitled

Untitled

i bloody LOVE this movie

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

HallowMoonshadow

Never actually seen it @FullbringIchigo or any of the series... That bandit/thief mask isn't disguising the Joker or Penguin in the slightest 😂

No skin off my nose that you don't like them @RogerRoger! You do you!

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

FullbringIchigo

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy yeah it's about as effective as Robins mask or Clark's glasses

Ralizah

@FullbringIchigo Oh, come on! You mention the 1966 Batman movie and don't specifically call attention to the fact that Batman maces a shark with "shark repellent batspray?"

Which also, I might add, somehow causes the shark to explode.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

FullbringIchigo

@Ralizah i know, i'm so ashamed

i apologise

HallowMoonshadow

Everything's apparently better with explosions @Ralizah ?

Also wtf with that scene?! xD

FullbringIchigo

@Ralizah well it's probably because he didn't want to rip his tights

HallowMoonshadow

I... can't even... I think my brain is melting! 😅

FullbringIchigo

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy honestly if you have never watched the 1966 Batman series and film your missing out
Untitled

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @FullbringIchigo @Ralizah Omg, those videos are the very definition of cringe. Where can I even begin? Notation made about Robin’s rather lackluster decent down the ladder, but why does he take the time to slowly secure his footing so he can hand the repellent to him upside-down like some kind of circus trapeze artist? The shark actually looks fairy realistic compared to most of the art design and effects in these clips, but still pretty cheesy. Then... Batman dancing? Ugh. I can’t unsee that now, you know? Thank you for that. 😑
And I like how the guy walks in wearing a mask, tights, and cape says “No thanks, I’ll just stand at the bar. I don’t want to draw any attention to myself.” Uh, Batman — too late for that. There’s no way you’re not being noticed in that getup, buddy.
Then at the end — “I fooled you! I was able to keep my reason by reciting the multiplication table backwards!” 😂
Oh mercy, make it stop! 🤣

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic