Forums

Topic: The Marvel Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 290

Ralizah

@Th3solution I'm of a mixed mind about the self-awareness, personally, insofar as it's often a little too 'wink, nudge, wink' for my liking, as with the meta-commentary about the reception to Garfield's Spider-Man films. But yeah, I do agree this film does a much better job of drawing from and commenting on the past without shamelessly exploiting it.

Ultimately, I wanted something more in line with previous Spider-Man films: grounded, imaginative, charming, and almost deconstructive in its approach to the genre without being obnoxious about it. Instead, they gave us the ultimate cinematic Spider-Man fanservice film. It does a good job at that, though, so I can't really be too harsh on it. Aside from Strange's role in the film, I don't think it has too many actual flaws.

@Fight_Teza_Fight The beginning was my favorite part of the film, by far. But, temperamentally, I'm not the sort of person this film was designed to appeal to, even if I had a good enough time watching it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder I still need to finish Hawkeye but, on the strength of its first couple of episodes, I'd say it certainly needs something weighty to help it feel worthwhile.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Hawkeye finished tonight and did actually pull it together at the end. Still felt like it could have done with a few more episodes but hey, season 2 hopefully! I was always going to hold it to a ridiculous standard as its basing itself off the very very well regarded comics and it didn’t really live up to them but it’s definitely one of the better offerings since Endgame.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny No worries, and glad you enjoyed it!

Does anybody know if I need to watch Wandavison before the next Dr Strange film? I know a trailer for the latter dropped recently which I've not seen, but she appears in all the thumbnails I've seen.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Yes, you'll need to watch WandaVision. I saw the Doctor Strange trailer yesterday and it comes straight out with references to places and events from that show.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Also yeah, Hawkeye was good. Not the best MCU offering from the franchise's first year of movie-quality television shows, but it made me smile more often than not. I appreciated the lighter tone for the season, and liked how it made me care about Clint (who'd previously been an "also there" character for me).

So, that gives me WandaVision and Loki in first place for different reasons (the former is a great story executed well, the latter is a good story executed brilliantly) and then Hawkeye sitting somewhere in the middle, it being an okay story executed well enough. Falcon & the Winter Soldier was a challenging story executed badly, so comes dead last, but at least they've all had potential. I'm sure follow-up seasons, as well as new shows, will learn some lessons and improve over time.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Cheers. Looks like I will begrudgingly be renewing my subscription to Disney+ soon then.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

ThereThere

Persevered with Hawkeye, and actually enjoyed it in the end. Lots of threads that can lead places and Kingpin returning was great. The camera work in that car chase was superb too. @nessisonett Did you mention it was based on a good comic run? What was the name?

Weirdly my son received a bow and arrow for Xmas too. Watch this space.

Probably rank it 3rd below Wandavision and Loki, with F&TWS coming bottom.

Edited on by ThereThere

Retired Diamond Dog.
Keep on keeping on 👍

PSN: Bundersvessel

nessisonett

@Keith_Zissou The run’s just the 2012-15 series by Fraction and Aja. It’s collected into 4 volumes which you can get basically everywhere too.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Just in time for The Book of Boba Fett, which starts Wednesday!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Hmmmm, not sure on that one. The end of The Mandalorian season 2 kinda soured the experience for me. Too fan servicey for my liking.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder A fair criticism. I'll be watching Boba Fett weekly, so can let you know how it goes, and whether that approach continues or not (spoiler-free, of course).

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

Binged Hawkeye earlier in the week. It was a fun time, but between setting up Kate, following up on Black Widow's post credit scene, and finally deciding to recognize the Netflix shows in some capacity (without getting too spoilery), it seemed to have a lot going on for it's runtime.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Sorry for the double post, but I just finished binging the back half of What If?.

I had procrastinated on watching this one (started last weekend), but I'm glad I got around to it. The first couple episodes were a bit slow, but I thought it picked up by episode 3, and then by episode 4 (the Doctor Strange one) it was absolutely fire. There were some ups & downs after that, but the last few were absolutely amazing.

A couple notes:

• I was surprised to see Spider-Man show up given the whole rights juggling act. I assume that since it's a TV series instead of a movie (and animated) that it lets them bypass whatever rights Sony has? It certainly wasn't Tom Holland voicing him, that's for sure.
  • It would be an absolute shame if the show's events (or at least some of it's universes) weren't at least referenced in Multiverse of Madness. I think a version of "Evil" Strange is confirmed to appear, so here's hoping.
  • Just a neat observation. Under the tab where they list all the MCU movies/series in timeline order, they have What If? listed right after Loki, which is neat given that the latter ends with the multiverse being unleashed.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RogerRoger

@RR529 Darn, I really need to finish What If...? but I'm still grateful for your thoughts. Funnily enough, the last episode I watched was that Doctor Strange one, which everybody (rightly) raves about, but I just haven't had the motivation to return for whatever reason.

What's worse is that lately, I've been watching the old '95 Spidey cartoon whilst I eat, so it's not like I'm avoiding Disney+ or anything at the moment! Will get around to it eventually, I'm sure.

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

Watched Eternals this morning.

Certainly very visually accomplished and the fight scenes could definitely be kinetic, but it felt a little slow & bloated (and I don't think any of them really stood out in terms of personality other than Kingo).

I feel like if you're the kind of person to really like the first two Thor movies, you'd probably like this. More of an epic/drama feel without much of the trademark MCU humor/quips (though there is some).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

nessisonett

Gave Eternals another go since it was added to Disney+. It was a little better on second viewing but still kinda rubbish. Overly bloated with exposition (a title crawl these days is laughable) and the high concept nature makes it all feel a bit like a Syfy Channel made-for-TV movie. I wouldn’t even say that the actors did anything wrong, they were all pretty decent but it was more just fundamental issues with the structure, the expendable nature of newly-introduced characters and the messy writing.

Th3solution

@RR529 @nessisonett Mediocre as it sounds, I think I’ll try to watch Eternals this weekend if I get the time. Obviously not because of the glowing praise I’ve seen, but rather because it’s an MCU movie and I’m a fan of the franchise. Hopefully Disney/Marvel isn’t getting lazy with their output since they know there are millions of us that will watch it just on the affiliation of the MCU. Thankfully the movies before it (Shang-Chi) and after (No Way Home) were both excellent so maybe this is an aberration.

I have started Hawkeye, and watched two episodes so far. It much better than I was led to believe. It captures the Marvel fun and personality much better than Falcon and the Winter Soldier. I like Kate Bishop a lot more than I thought I would. Why they used that font for the title and branding I’ll never know. It’s a subconscious (or in my case, a conscious) turn-off.

Edited on by Th3solution

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic