Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 7,021 to 7,040 of 10,093

andreoni79

Solus Project was one of the titles I put in my buy-this-once-on-sale list but now it's gone forever... Any idea why?
(It's still available on Steam, but not on consoles)

Edited on by andreoni79

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

JohnnyShoulder

So true!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

So I just had a blast from the past while I was digging through my storage boxes of video games. After having gotten into Wii gaming again, I remembered that I still had PlayStation Move games on PS3 that I haven't finished yet. So I dug out my PS Move controller, the PS navigation controller and the PlayStation Eye. Then I found some PS Move exclusives: Sorcery, Medieval Moves, PlayStation Move Heroes and one game I've completely forgotten about, Diggs Nightcrawler. And after finding that game, I remembered that it required a certain "peripheral" that Sony released for the PS3 that most people have probably forgotten about:

Untitled

The bloody Wonderbook, I completely forgot about this thing! I remember that four games came out for it, I played the first one which came with the accessory and the second one was Diggs. The other two I never got. But anyway, I'm actually quite excited to try out these games now. I don't think PlayStation Move Heroes was that good, but Medieval Moves and Sorcery were apparently quite good PS Move titles. And I'm just generally excited to play a Wonderbook game.

Like imagine trying to play a Wonderbook game today. You would need a PS3, a PS Move controller, the PlayStation Eye camera, the Wonderbook itself and a compatible game. I'm really glad that I kept all these things.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Thrillho

@LtSarge I've literally never heard of that one! How does it even work??

Thrillho

LtSarge

@Thrillho So the book basically utilises AR technology which is displayed on the TV screen through the PlayStation Eye camera. So while playing a Wonderbook game, the PS Eye will show a live feed of you on the TV screen and when you put the book in front of you, different scenes will show up in the game. As you turn to the next page, a different scene will emerge and so on. Then you use the PS Move controller to perform different actions in the game. For example, the game that comes with the Wonderbook is called Book of Spells (fun fact, it was actually made in conjunction with J.K. Rowling and was based on the Harry Potter series) and in that game you use the PS Move controller as a wand to cast different spells like Wingardium Leviosa and so on. It was a fairly straight-forward game and it was meant to be an introductory title for the peripheral, kinda how like Wii Sports was for the Wii. The game I have now is called Diggs Nightcrawler and it's a detective game. I believe you investigate different places every time you turn to a new page.

It was definitely one of Sony's most unique and creative projects but just like with most PlayStation-related things Sony produced back then, it was quickly abandoned after only four games.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Thrillho

@LtSarge Sounds clever but I can kind of see why it didn’t catch on! I think the only main peripherals I ever had were the mouse on PS1 (for Command and Conquer, and a football management game) and then the good old Eye Toy for the PS2.

Thrillho

ralphdibny

@Thrillho cheers, yeah it's leaving game pass on the 30th sept and I've wanted to give it a go for a while. It's quite a long game so I'm glad I left enough time to play it. You played it then? What did you think? I love the setting, the characters, the story, the music etc but I'm struggling with the actual gameplay itself because it's a lot of just revisiting the same areas every single in-game day to try and trigger a side story/complete a fetch quest etc. Great game but requires a lot of patience!

I have barely touched the dungeon crawler minigame on the laptop but I do love "slappin the bass" so to speak. The last two songs got a bit hard for me though. Currently I'm on chapter 3, got two more friends left to take me to investigate some ghostly stuff

Edit: I'm on the epilogue now so I guess I'm nearly finished. It's funny though, I only just saw something on Facebook today that some randomer posted about corporate towns in America (because Amazon is planning new ones or something) and it had a history lesson about old mining towns where the army had to come in and fight the workers. It's weird I just happened to be playing a game that's set in one of those sorts of towns (unless I've misunderstood the backstory of the game).

I think it's definitely one of the better "coming of age" type games I've played over the pandemic and I've unwittingly managed to play quite a few because of game pass. Oxenfree was my least favourite, I absolutely loved Donut County (perhaps because it was only like an hour or two long) and Tell Me Why was pretty good too. It's so weird this genre is even a thing in games now. They've all felt fairly original too. I've seen tons of coming of age movies that retread familar ground in many ways but beyond the obvious tropes of the genre, these games have felt fairly unique even if they are kind of of a similar ilk.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

@LtSarge I was reminded of the wonderbook around march/April when I was looking at what PS3 games I might need to buy off the store before it was going to (not) close down.

I did know about it when it came out but had totally forgotten about it until earlier this year. I doubt any of the games would appeal to me but the hardware certainly does. At least now that I get all excited about weird trinkets from video game history. I'll definitely need to pick one up at some point in my life.

I did end up buying some PS3 move controllers around the time of the impending (non) closure of the PS store. The PS4 ones I have weren't compatible with PS3, to my horror. The PS3 ones are compatible with PS4 though. Picked up quite a few move games off the store randomly, the resident evil and house of the dead collections are what I can remember but I did pick up a few non shooty games too. I bought Move Heroes physically and was on the fence about some others. I probably won't get around to playing move heroes for many years tho, I suspect I will want to work my way through the sonys PS2 era platformers first before playing a crossover. I've only played one about a decade ago which was Sly Raccoon.

See ya!

LtSarge

@ralphdibny Yeah same here. When I bought it, I didn't care about it that much but years later, I think it's a really interesting peripheral not only because of what it is but also because I haven't used it that much so it feels like a new gaming experience, which is exciting.

Well apparently, PlayStation Move Heroes isn't all that great because it's just a bunch of random missions put together. Not to mention that the characters can't even jump in this game, lol. I looked up a few reviews last night as I was excited to learn more about these games and all of them said the same thing. I'm still going to give it a go later on though as I'm interested in how it plays.

If you're looking for more PS Move titles to get, then Sorcery and Medieval Moves should be good ones that really utilise the controller in a good way. I also have some digital titles like PlayStation Move Ape Escape, which I don't know anything about but it could be interesting. I also remember there being a PS Move collection on PS3 with games like echochrome and a few others that are seemingly good. Never got that one because I stopped caring about the PS Move at that point.

Btw, you should definitely give Resident Evil The Umbrella Chronicles a go. I played through that game on the Wii and it's amazing. I love how much content there is in terms of levels based on past titles as well as characters like Albert Wesker that you get to play as. It should play great with the PS Move if it's anything like the Wii remote.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@LtSarge will probably try and get a friend over for the shooting games eventually when this pandemic is properly over.

Cheers for the recommendations on sorcery/medieval moves. I was eyeing them up but weren't sure if they were going to be worth it. Ape escape is on my to buy list as well because it's a recognisable ps franchise. Not sure if I'll cough up for the physical or just get a digital copy.

I did pick up that echochrome 2 actually as it looked like my style of game. I think it's only the second one that has move integration but I did buy both of them. I'll have to wait for some more money to come in before I go back to my PS3 buying ways. I think I must have spent like £200 on the store back when they announced they were going to close it so I have to wait for a while before I get any more! I've got a list of interesting looking titles written down somewhere

See ya!

Thrillho

@ralphdibny I really liked the game. I thought the setting was really good and the feeling of a left behind old industrial Americana town worked really well for the game. The cast are fab and have some great personalities and the game has some fun bits of side content like band practice etc.

The sort of millennial slacker humour mostly works but gets a bit tiresome and I remember feeling that the ending of the game felt slightly weird compared to how the rest of the game played out. I'm glad you seemed to enjoy it too!

Thrillho

ralphdibny

@Thrillho yeah it was decent! I'm not sure if I am a millennial as I don't know if you have to be born in ~2000 or ~1990. I'm the latter but I certainly had a friend that was a lot like Mae although she did work hard and has a full time job, but outside of work was very Mae-like.

I don't think I had a Gregg/Angus when I was at school/uni but I've met a couple that are very similar since. I don't see them that often really though. I don't think I ever had a Bea 🤔, maybe I was Bea and didn't realise 😂

But yeah, point I was making is that the characters feel very familiar to me. Something that is lost if I watch like 80s coming of age films although I do still enjoy many of them immensely. It's good to have something for "my" generation!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Thrillho

@ralphdibny Being born 1980 to mid 90s makes you a millennial I’m afraid

But I agree, the mindset and experiences of the characters felt quite relatable and the relationships between them felt quite real too.

Thrillho

ralphdibny

@Thrillho haha that's ok, I'll take it! We had the best cartoons and when we got older most of our best authors were holdovers from Gen X like Brett Easton Ellis and Chuck Palunhiuk that guided us with an appropriate amount of cynicism into adulthood 😂

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

@Thrillho haha I had to look that up. I don't even like avocados (but I will eat it if someone gives it to me)

See ya!

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore How are you mate? How did the move go? What are you playing these days? I'm on Chapter 6 of FFVIIR at the moment. Loving it so far.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman hey dude, we're still in the process mate. We've been moving boxes over since last Friday but we're not 'moving in' until next Friday as our flooring guys are gonna be doing the whole ground floor starting Monday (& it'll take 4 days).

I'm still on MGS2 pretty close to the end of my 4th playthrough, so getting there slowly. Still really enjoying it though. Glad you're really enjoying FFVIIRemake it's a great game. I also really enjoyed FFXV so maybe give that a go too, if you haven't already.

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic