Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 7,041 to 7,060 of 10,080

kyleforrester87

@colonelkilgore I’m gunna show off now (or display how uncool I am) but I completed MGS2 three times in one day once, various difficulties, getting all dog tags in the process. Surprisingly short when you skip all the cut scenes 😂

European extreme difficulty is an absolute DOG though. The Solidus torture sections in particular. And fighting all the Rays at the end 😖

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

colonelkilgore

@kyleforrester87 impressive, I’m not gonna bother with European Extreme as it’s not required for the platinum but I can imagine how tough it is. I’m currently at the point where you have to snipe to protect EE. Had a couple of goes earlier but EE got gunned down, will have another go tomorrow.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@kyleforrester87 took me a few goes but managed to get the sniping mission done this morning. Only the small matter of Metal Gear Ray now, and then onto ‘Extreme’ 😅.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@Keith_Zissou yeah on my first playthrough it was a great little change up in perspective… and is a ‘strange’ but nice calm before the storm what with the tengus, Rays and Solidus to come. There really is no one else like Kojima, more’s the pity.

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@Iver That’s capitalism for you. There’s people out there whose entire job is to shift money around for very rich people. Zero production involved, zero benefit for society, just money being siphoned off existing goods. If it was illegal to scalp stuff then people would complain about the free market not being free. It’s bloody nonsense.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@Iver I’m not even sure it’s just being old fashioned, plenty of younger people look down on it as well. There are some cases of that seen around though definitely. It’s like the difference between influencers that advertise constantly and social media ones who just like to entertain, they get lumped together when in fact the ones telling jokes and being daft are at least providing a service so probably shouldn’t be looked down on in the same way as the blatantly horrible ones who advertise Botox. Scalpers are just the worst.

Black_Swordsman

@LieutenantFatman As we were discussing cartoons recently, do you also remember that gem of children's TV: 'Round the Twist'? What did you think of it, if you watched it?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

RogerRoger

Not sure where to put this, so I'll put it here, but I played Hitman III on Google Stadia yesterday.

Honestly, the controller feels lovely and, true to some of its marketing hype, there was barely any input lag. I say "barely" because, when I actively looked for it and made 47 run back and forth on the spot, I could detect a microsecond of a delay, but it was nothing noticeable during general gameplay. I guess it helps that the majority of games available on Stadia are the kind where very, very minor lag wouldn't matter (the store's biggest names are a lot of third-person, single-player action games, such as Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Mafia III and the Tomb Raider reboots) but I'd wager that the majority of folks, even experienced gamers, simply wouldn't notice. On that side of things, I was very impressed.

But, even when played on ultrafast fibre optic broadband, there were bandwidth issues. Audio was the biggest loser, with Diana's in-ear commentary drifting in and out of quality extremes mid-sentence. Image resolution fared okay, though, and there were dropped frames and other minor performance hitches on a par with those you'd find in Hitman III anywhere else, so it's clear that Stadia has a priority list of which presentation elements to compromise, and when. Which makes sense.

The worst part of it was that it's a pain to use. You need a phone to activate the service and browse the store, even if you've got a capable TV or smart device plugged in, and the controller only syncs when there's a game running. It's very much "part of an ecosystem" which is the kinda marketing design nonsense that makes my teeth itch, and ends up sticking needlessly clunky bookends on each gameplay session, so traditional games consoles have nothing to worry about. I can see it being useful for the Silicon Valley crowd that developed it, and for those who're on the road a lot (providing their pitstop hotels have good Wi-Fi) but otherwise, it's no substitute for a dedicated machine.

If streaming games is the future, then I reckon that it's a future that hasn't quite arrived yet, but it's one that draws closer and closer every day. For a brief moment there, I was able to forget that Agent 47 was walking around Paris without a disc spinning somewhere in my immediate vicinity and that, no matter my other issues, was a frighteningly impressive experience.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I never got it to work on my TV, the one game I tried was unplayable with the audio incomprehensible, movement really sluggish and the frame rate was all over the place.

Think I'll stick to either playing games on disk or ones I've downloaded, with the brief foray into streaming on PS NOW when I wanna try out a game.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

MightyDemon82

I've pulled the trigger on getting a switch and the switch Oled will be a companion piece to the almighty PS5.

Any recommendations for games?Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are a given, I'll probably get the Ori games as well as I enjoyed what I played of the first one but game pass ran like crap on my PC so didn't end up playing it all!

MightyDemon82

nessisonett

@Octane The 6 most dreaded words for a Switch owner 😂

MightyDemon82

@Octane the last Nintendo machine I had was just the Wii. Haven't really played on a Nintendo machine since it's heyday!

MightyDemon82

Octane

@MightyDemon82 Well, that opens up some more recommendations. What kind of games are you into? Just looking for exclusives?

Octane

MightyDemon82

@Octane I'll probably mainly play exclusives. PS5 is my main gaming device but I'll pretty much give anything a shot that isn't a sports title (there are exceptions like Mario Golf etc.) I have done the odd google of top games on switch but a lot of the lists contain ports of old games I've either played years ago or got in the PS backlog!

MightyDemon82

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic