Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 5,721 to 5,740 of 10,090

nessisonett

@Arugula NLife seems to have gotten too big for their current moderation staff. Innocuous articles are now reaching well over 100 comments. That E Honda article is the most comments I’ve ever seen by a long stretch. It’s just too much to effectively moderate at that point. It also probably doesn’t help that they’ve seemingly accidentally cultivated a whole Q-Anon subsection of the community which is a whole lot worse than this site’s crazies. I think they’re trying to get away from that reputation by posting more articles that have an outwardly liberal viewpoint (read: against glorifying genocide and homophobia) but all that happens is that guys who look like stereotypical truckers come in the comments and say things like ‘Reeeeeset era’. Lord knows what they’re even supposed to do except keep churning out the controversial articles and profit off the conflict.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett How are you? Been a little while, how are the studies going? @colonelkilgore How does it feel to be a Banks-reading Banker who works in a Bank? 😂 The phrase just struck me today, it's worthy of Kelsey Grammar in Frasier isn't it? Seriously though, how's things man? What games are you onto now? I'm still playing UC4 as I've said in the other thread.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Studies are going 50/50. We’re now not going back at all in-person so the rest of this year will be online. Part of me’s glad because I now don’t need to leave the house but my AI class is a bit of a nightmare and I would have preferred in-person tutorials. I’m mostly just in panic mode trying to land a placement in time!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman yeah it would probably feel better if the Banks books were my only Banks-association... but not bad dude, hope you’re good too. I’ve noticed your playing of U4 and I’d definitely suggest you try playing the whole series as you seem to be enjoying it.

Still on Dying Light and Dead Space 3. I think I’ll wrap up the DL plat next week and haven’t gotten anywhere near as much done on DS3 as I’d planned (hopefully my DS3 co-op partner isn’t too far ahead of me by the time we start next month).

Sorry to hear you fell of Death Stranding, I think you would’ve really dug the narrative.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@Arugula well I have a switch but barely use it if ever (in fact I’ve kinda off-loaded it to the missus) but have never really clicked with Nintendo.

Having said that I simply have to check out NLife now that I’ve heard how crazy it is!

**** DLC!

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore Well, you could always post me a spoilered up gist of the narrative, as I'm sure I won't go back to it, but spoiler tagged up just to prevent those still playing the game from getting spoilered , up to you.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman I’m sure there are videos on YouTube that you could watch (and would probably present it better) but still I’m not sure the dramatic beats would hit in quite the right way without earning them. A lot of them come right after odyssey-like deliveries.

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@DerMeister Yikes, another one! Sorry to hear you were affected by the storms, and that you had a rough week as a result. Here's hoping things stabilise for you soon.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Just to cut in.

I'm not generally one to promote posts from my own thread, but you should see RogerRoger's frankly professional quality of writing in his last review.

Read Review

I'm floored.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer It may have seemed a bit crass and insensitive of me at the time not to dwell on this, therefore I'm giving your post it's due attention here, not to derail The Music Thread - How did the sense of responsibility in the aftermath of the wreck affect you? What positives did you draw from the experience and how did it relate to your relationship with your friends who were involved? So glad to hear that all of you walked away, obviously.

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Also, regarding giving up the guitar, I've decided I'm gonna stick to that, despite what we both said about hobbies being important to us as human beings. I was playing some heavy metal riffs this morning, and it just felt like I was simply too old to be playing them, I might just give up on either playing heavy metal, and just play jazz, or give up on the guitar entirely and focus my attention on my dream of professional game design, having a management role on my CV might help me break into that field, and I feel it is a more appropriate endeavor for an adult my age to pursue, rather than still trying to be a rock star after your 20s have passed. As I say, I could still play jazz, but, instead of buying guitars, I think whenever I have any disposable cash, it would be better invested in saving up and getting a PS5 and/or a high-end gaming laptop for the purpose of modding, so that I can spend more time on my current passion. I'm currently working on a game design document based on the Berserk manga and Dark Souls games.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman no worries, man, I didn’t think you were insensitive. I have a bad filter for over sharing and making people uncomfortable, which is never my intention.

The reality of my decisions and actions hurting other people and possibly even killing them hit me like a ton of bricks. It was a huge step in my life towards accepting responsibility for my actions. When we make mistakes, it’s very easy to look for a way out by blaming circumstances or even other people - however we can rationalize our behaviour to escape accountability. I was forced to take my finger and point it inwards, and having a friend who had every right to come down on me in any which way who didn’t, really got to me.

He gave me patience, compassion, kindness, support, encouragement and forgiveness, which I frankly didn’t deserve. This act of love planted a seed in me and was a genesis of sorts for a real change of heart and outlook on life. Generally speaking, I firmly believe that friendship is the most important relationship in life that we can nurture.

You know, the soulsborne games are so brilliant and I think it’s a wise place to seek inspiration. The driving philosophy and psychology of these games encapsulate the trials and tribulations of life in a way almost no other games do, a pilgrimage analogous to real life.

Video games really are an incredible medium and I wish you all the best in your pursuit. I’ve long thought about getting into game design myself. I’m glad you’re not giving up the guitar. It’s easy in today’s world to feel like a failure if you don’t end up on the front of Rolling Stone magazine, but nothing could be further from the truth. Music, and all art, comes from the inside, not the outside. Nothing needs to validate your art except your own convictions. Fame and fortune will never fulfill you in the way personal peace with your creation will.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Kidfried

@RogerRoger I saw you call @Th3solution Sol just now, and saw a few others do that too already. Is that a thing now? I might have been out of the loop on this one!

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Jimmer-jammer Great post too. It actually touches on a few things that I have been thinking and mulling a lot over since the outbreak of covid-19 and that I keep coming back too.

Thanks for sharing.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried I wasn't aware that it was a thing, no! Sometimes I just use a shorthand when referring to somebody I've already tagged; I do the same with other folks, as well. Pretty sure I might've even buried a brief "Kid" in somewhere over the years!

Providing that @Th3solution doesn't mind being abbreviated, of course!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic