Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 5,741 to 5,760 of 10,093

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Kid is actually my username in many many places. Unfortunately often it is already taken, Rog!

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Well, that'd be slightly more challenging to shorten, er... "K"...?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Kidfried @RogerRoger I’m quite used to the abbreviated “Sol” actually. I think it may have been @themcnoisy (aka “Noisy” 😛) who first coined it that way, if memory serves. In fact I call myself that regularly now 😅. The interesting thing is in my mind it comes out pronounced like “Saul” like the name, but could be “Soul” I guess too, which just doesn’t feel right. Either way, I’m all for shortening nicknames for ease of communication. I think I just called @Ralizah “Rali” on the other thread too! But I realize some have gone with a simpler “Ral”. Of course my favorite abridgment of a forum name is definitely @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy becoming simply “Foxy” 😄.

Anyway, call me whatever you want, Rog and Kid... just so long as you call me for dinner (ba-dum-tshh 🥁).

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution If it helps, my inner monologue pronounces "Sol" in the same way a Spaniard would refer to the sun. Because it's written and not spoken, whenever I see people write "Rog" I read it totally wrong for comedy purposes, giving it a hard G like "Rogg" instead of "Rodge" (both of which are confusing as heck, considering my real name isn't even Roger).

Oh, and go wash your hands. We're up the table in five.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I've used Sol as a nickname for you a couple of times @Th3solution and I say it exactly the same way that @RogerRoger does (I also mean Rog as Rodge lol)

I actually wanted to change my forum name since not long after I joined as it's just a mess but... I have no idea what I would've changed it to. I'm terrible at these forum kinda names and for email addresses too. They're all weird and dumb

I'm quite fine with Foxy though as an abridged nickname 😄

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

themcnoisy

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy FGS @Th3solution Sol @RogerRoger Rog @Ralizah Rali @Kidfired eh I don't think I have a shorter name for you! Maybe KF but I would be tempted to stick a C on the end.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Kidfried

@themcnoisy And the "fried" part of my name probably doesn't help either.

And to make matters worse, Aoi Asahina (my profile picture) mentions eating chicken in the Danganronpa games so often.

Truth to be told, I've never been to a KFC in my life (and I probably never will).

Kidfried

Ralizah

Kid Fried Chicken. I like it.

@Kidfried For the sake of comedy, if you ever happen to lose your employment, you should temporarily change your username to @themcnoisy 's suggestion of Kidfired.

KFC chicken has great breading, btw, but otherwise it's nothing special. And not worth the empty calories. They used to have amazing hot wings, but the one around me doesn't sell em anymore, so I assume they were pulled from the menu.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Ralizah @Kidfried @themcnoisy I didn’t know KFC was actually a thing in Europe/UK. I much prefer Chick-Fil-A’s combo of salty spices, but the KFC breading does have a nice flavor too.
Edit: And for the record, I know Chick-Fil-A’s brass apparently has unpopular political stances which I don’t agree with. Apologies if that came across that way. I merely enjoy the food, but know many people choose to boycott them, which I can understand.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@Th3solution Meh.

Chic-fil-A's staff has ALWAYS been extremely pleasant and nice, no matter which one I go to in this country. And their food is delicious. That matters to me a lot more than their conservative owners donating to conservative causes.

If I never read a book, watched a film, or played a game because someone associated with it did or believed something I disapprove of, then my life would be worse off than it is now.

Which isn't to shame boycotters. People can, and should, stop giving money to any person or entity they feel doesn't deserve support. But it's not something I'm going to do, and people shouldn't be expected to do it based on their political stances. Chances are that said people are unwittingly putting money into the pockets of other corpos who have even more horrifying beliefs anyway.

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore Hey mate, how are you? I am still playing "Dude Raider" 4 😜 and thoroughly enjoying it. Did you check out @Th3solution's review of the first "Dude Raider" game? What game(s) are you onto now? Do you ever listen to any film or game scores if commercial music isn't exactly your thing?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Th3solution

@Ralizah Good point. Out of curiosity I googled KFC (and was surprised that they are second in international revenue only behind McDonald’s) and found plenty of controversy over the years for them as well, on a variety of politico-social topics. So I think you’re correct that it’s difficult to find a business out there that doesn’t have some kind of skeleton in the closet. And yes, part of Chick-Fil-A’s appeal is they have the kindest and most consistent customer service of any fast food chain I’ve seen. I’m not sure how they find these employees or cultivate them, but it is impressive from that standpoint. And to their credit, they have backtracked on some of the things said by one of their corporate goons and the company’s official stance is documented as very inclusive. And they apparently withdrew donations to the ultra conservative associations they used to support.

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman still on Dying Light bud, should 'put it to bed' tomorrow though.

I do use imdb and metacritic to help filter down the choices on Film/TV and Gaming but it is just that, a filter as there is so much out there. I tend to go 'if a film is over a 7 on imdb, or a TV show is over an 8 I'll watch without reservation. I'll still break my rule if I really fancy a particular film or show though... or if someone's recommendation has tickled my pickle. I tend to follow game reviews less though as I find it is an even more personal medium and a person's enjoyment can vary wildly from one person to the next.

Yeah I've seen some of your posts, seems like you're enjoying U4 quite a lot... I will get to it one day but not in the short to mid term. I've got AC : Black Flag & MGS3 next month and Demons Souls Remastered the month after that... then May is MGS & MGS2.

What have you got in mind for after U4?

**** DLC!

Ralizah

@Th3solution People should be more angry with the pull of corporate power in general in the U.S. It's disgusting how much influence rich sociopaths in the private sector have over politicians and the operations of the government.

With that said, it's tiresome how EVERYTHING gets pulled into the vortex of our culture war. One has to draw the line somewhere if they don't want to get sucked into endless war with everyone around them. Some people thrive in that sort of environment, but I just find it obnoxious, frankly.

Chic-fil-A backing down won't sate the people that targeted them, unfortunately. If anything, compromising on one's positions is actively be avoided in this social environment, since your opponents will attack more viciously once they know you'll buckle to pressure, and your allies will turn on you for being a traitor to whatever cause it was that got you into the frying pan in the first place.

I guess it's unfortunate they were putting money into the pockets of extreme-right blowhards, but there's a reason the phrase "no ethical consumption under capitalism" exists. In our current system, giving money to even the most ostensibly milquetoast, apolitical multinational corporation will mean indirectly supporting horrifying labor exploitation or abusive industry practices that goes on everyday.

If you buy meat in a store, you're supporting the torture of animals. If you buy ANYTHING from Walmart, Target, etc. you're supporting the exploitation of labor of workers both domestically and in third world countries. If you buy anything electronic pretty much anywhere, you're supporting horrifying, near-slave labor conditions in China and other countries. I'm sure some slave somewhere dug up the minerals that are needed for your electronics as well. Probably even most of the stuff you have in your kitchen.

And, of course, anyone here who pays taxes in the U.S. has indirectly paid people who tear migrant children away from their mothers and lock them in cages.

It's pretty much impossible to live in a modern, capitalistic society, and especially the U.S., and not be inextricably entwined with systems of abuse.

So, you know, I find the fixation some have on Chic-fil-A to be a bit difficult to take seriously.

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Just thinking about it, your username is a veritable bounty of nicknames. You could be called Foxy, or Goddess (or God), or Scotch... actually, I'll stop there. I'm not sure anybody would wanna be named after an alcoholic beverage!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Ralizah Well said. I know every individual has their “hill to die on” and that’s fine, but you’ve an excellent point that a dedicated study of nearly all corporate or societal entities will reveal something unsavory. And speaking of savory, I now feel less guilty about having a nice tasty chicken sandwich!

@RogerRoger On the subject of shortened nicknames, I like the ‘double R’ branding that you’ve adopted for your YouTube channel. It looks very professional! You need to trademark it 😄

Edited on by Th3solution

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore Be sure to tag me in your playthrough of Demon's Souls, I'm planning on getting a PS5 as and when they are available and I have enough funds to buy one, it is the only Miyazaki Souls game I am yet to beat, so I will be keen to play Bluepoint's version when I have the chance.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

themcnoisy

@Kidfried @Th3solution @Ralizah We have an amazing KFC 5 miles or so down the road. It's weird, arguably the worst part of our peninsula but the KFC is outstanding. Every single time it's finger licking good.

Every other KFC is variable quality.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic