Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 5,701 to 5,720 of 10,078

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ys VIII is a pretty sweet game (with the understanding that it looks like an uprezzed GameCube title and features the same mostly tropey characterization you likely became familiar with in ToCS). I wouldn't call myself a Falcom fan, but it was one of the bigger surprises of this generation, IMO. It's weirdly long for an Ys game, though, which, in the past, were notable for how brief and zippy they were. Ys VIII is very much an epic by comparison.

We'll see how Ys IX turns out, but I'm going to attribute VIII's performance to NIS not really knowing how to get the most out of the platform initially. Any platform where DOOM 2016 and The Witcher 3 are highly playable in full fat form shouldn't be struggling to run a PS Vita port.

RE: fighting games with deep stories, I'm reminded of how the 3DS Dead or Alive game included a story campaign, and it turned out to be one of the most weirdly convoluted plots I've ever encountered.

Is it longer then your 30 act epic that you wrote for Fire Emblem Three houses?

No, but it's my second longest one I've done, and it somehow managed to allow me to post and even edit it without the site demanding I prove I'm a human before taking me to an error screen, which is the only reason I've been splitting up my longer pieces to begin with.

They would be if I was actually going into work. I only went in like two days after the winter break before we went back into lockdown over here and this time around I wasn't called in so I've actually been off the past month.

Seeing as we've had the time, and we already had most the supplies we just hadn't had the time/were too exhausted to use them last year, me and my partner have basically redecorated the whole house the past few weeks šŸ˜…

That's right. I forget other countries actually do stuff to try and prevent the disease from spreading. Aside from seeing some masks in stores here, you'd never know we were in the middle of a global pandemic where I live. The governor won't even mandate masks. Could be a reason my state briefly had the worst infection-to-population ratio in the world.

Thankfully, my 72-year-old mother is due to receive her first vaccine dose next week.

Well, now's the time to do stuff like redecorating if you're locked inside anyway, right?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman I had to pop into work briefly this morning and do other stuff after that so I didnā€™t see any play today.

It sounds like England were back to their abysmal best with the bat though. It sounds like thereā€™s been lots of praise for Foakesā€™ wicket keeping but he also dropped a couple too. Iā€™m surprised Root didnā€™t bowl a bit more rather than leaving Leach and Moeen to toil away.

Iā€™ll be surprised if theyā€™re still playing by the time I tune in tomorrow..

Thrillho

nessisonett

Hooo boy, the tennis has been pretty great. Really cool to see Karatsev make the semi-finals on his Grand Slam debut. Now back to invoking the dark arts in an attempt to hex Djokovic before his match.

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@Thrillho Did you see Moeen's batting this morning though? Well, it's all over now ,but I am more hopeful for the third and fourth tests. How do you feel about them? Optimistic or still too early to say?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman No I didnā€™t get to see any of it (as predicted..).

Moeen leaving after one test is a bit weird. The next test is the day/night one I think so may well suit our seamers better. Hopefully winning the toss isnā€™t such a vital factor but I am concerned that our batsmen havenā€™t done great at all other than Root in the first test.

Thrillho

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Teaching your daughter piano sounds excellent and fun, also, with regard to game design, I would say the creative artistic aspect of it, shaping the game and focusing on the aesthetics of the PvE for players, rules of play and game mechanics fascinate me too, it's all such good fun.

How did my explanation of cricket settle with you? Did it offer a cure for your bafflement?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman in what capacity bud, its a very general term, which (at least in the financial industry... but I would imagine most others too) crops up again and again within a wide spectrum of appointments?

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman but like personal /team management, operational management, project management or managing a technical area etc.? They can be quite different.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman ok, well that is a tough position as you will constantly be passing on tough info from those above to your team (a team who, if you want them to have good morale and therefore a performance boost) need to know you 'fight their corner' when management meetings (where the bad news generally originates) occurs.

It really is a tough job, and those who are 'good' (though good and bad is depending on a particular perspective) generally progress quite quickly while the 'bad' normally hang around like a bad smell proliferating their bad habits for decades.

Some people are naturals, and genuinely enjoy to not only lead a team but prioritise the development of the individuals within said team. If your that kind of guy, you will not only do well but will also glean great satisfaction from the role.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Rudy_Manchego

@TheBrandedSwordsman Busy! Good and bad. Responsiblity is on your shoulders but it is quite varied and you get good teams. The dream is for me to move into video game project management but I'm too old for crunch and constant layoffs!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman a broad question as has been mentioned. Some things to consider and at the risk of sounding like a generic job ad: Are you self motivated? Are you a fairly organized person? Do you have decent people skills? Do you handle responsibility well?

In my experience, effective management is not about making friends, itā€™s about leading with purpose and being as fair as possible, which wonā€™t please everyone. Itā€™s about being organized and having contingency plans rolling around in the back of your head for every problem. Itā€™s about keeping team morale positive by understanding the plights of your team. Itā€™s about dealing with people on an individual level, while also thinking about the ā€œgreater goodā€. Itā€™s about communicating effectively. Itā€™s about admitting and correcting mistakes, your own included.

Most importantly, life is a learning experience. If youā€™re always willing to learn, you can go just about anywhere. Donā€™t be afraid of failure. Hope that helps. Cheers!

ā€œReason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.ā€ C.S. Lewis

HallowMoonshadow

@Ralizah

Ralizah wrote:

Ys VIII is a pretty sweet game (with the understanding that it looks like an uprezzed GameCube title and features the same mostly tropey characterization you likely became familiar with in ToCS). I wouldn't call myself a Falcom fan, but it was one of the bigger surprises of this generation, IMO. It's weirdly long for an Ys game, though, which, in the past, were notable for how brief and zippy they were. Ys VIII is very much an epic by comparison.

We'll see how Ys IX turns out, but I'm going to attribute VIII's performance to NIS not really knowing how to get the most out of the platform initially. Any platform where DOOM 2016 and The Witcher 3 are highly playable in full fat form shouldn't be struggling to run a PS Vita port.

I recall your thoughts/review on Ys 1 & 2 and I incorrectly assumed they were just shorter affairs due to the style of gameplay and the fact they came out so long ago... Interesting hear Ys VIII is actually more the outlier compared to the other Ys' games (I assume IX is probably a longer affair too)

And I've seen your recent pictures for The Witcher III in regards to Blood & Wine... It does look a little off in presentation but yeah it's VERY impressive none the less!

Ralizah wrote:

RE: fighting games with deep stories, I'm reminded of how the 3DS Dead or Alive game included a story campaign, and it turned out to be one of the most weirdly convoluted plots I've ever encountered.

I've only played 1 game in the Dead Or Alive series. DOA 2. The plot was just completely nonsensical in that... The final boss of the story mode was a Tengu (Just called Tengu) for seemingly no reason. It just didn't make any sense (and there was barely anything there in the first place). Quite a fun fighting system though which was really really responsive and fast paced. Really wanted to try another of the series but I wouldn't wanna support the absolutely gross dlc practices they have.

Ralizah wrote:

No, but it's my second longest one I've done, and it somehow managed to allow me to post and even edit it without the site demanding I prove I'm a human before taking me to an error screen, which is the only reason I've been splitting up my longer pieces to begin with.

Seriously?! You lucky son of a gun! I've really procrastinated on a writing another review lately (It's not like I don't have things to say!)... Maybe I should do a smaller impressions piece for something (Maybe the DQ11 demo?) to get me in the mood.

Ralizah wrote:

That's right. I forget other countries actually do stuff to try and prevent the disease from spreading. Aside from seeing some masks in stores here, you'd never know we were in the middle of a global pandemic where I live. The governor won't even mandate masks. Could be a reason my state briefly had the worst infection-to-population ratio in the world.

Thankfully, my 72-year-old mother is due to receive her first vaccine dose next week.

Well, now's the time to do stuff like redecorating if you're locked inside anyway, right?

Ugh... I'm sorry you have to deal with that Ral... The UK isn't dealing with it a whole lot better... But it's something at least compared to sticking your fingers in your ears šŸ˜§

I'm glad to hear your mother'll be getting the vaccine dose soon!

And yeah it is... Though as soon as we finished the living room we took about five minutes taking it in before we both looked to each other and said we hated the new look and tore it back down to start over again šŸ˜…

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

DerMeister

Well, this week has been garbage.

Texas has been dealing with statewide blackouts all week because our power grid isn't properly made to handle the winter storm that happened. Yours Truly here was down on Monday and Tuesday and didn't get power back until Wednesday morning. I've been playing it safe since, though my power has been steady. That said, not everyone has it back and hopefully they will soon.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Kidfried

@Arugula Well, we also had our share of crazies; just read a single TLOU2 article.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic