Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 5,681 to 5,700 of 10,089

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula -4 in not so sunny Swindon! It's probably about -10 up in Scotland, eh @nessisonett?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder It’s actually only -1 since I’m in the lowlands but I have some friends in the Highlands and they reached -21 a couple of days ago! We’re apparently going to be hitting 11 next Saturday so it’ll be like an early summer 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Oof, -21, f that! Not sure if the nice weather is a good idea if there is relaxation of lockdown rules, as I think there is a review on Monday!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder It would have been worse if we’d actually won the rugby instead of losing by 1 point!

Thrillho

@nessisonett Great match! Can’t believe Wales have had two narrow wins against 14 men now..

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho I’m happy with the result in that we played well regardless but it was so close! Thought we had it right at the end but no dice. Kinda scary to see how well that Welsh guy played considering he’s my age as well 😂

Thrillho

@nessisonett Hogg’s slip! The tap tackle! So unlucky but I’m not sure why they kicked near the end rather than hold possession. Harsh red too I thought.

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho The red was definitely a bit harsh but seeing it in slow motion it’s hard to really argue against it. It could have gone either way. I really don’t know why they kicked at the end to be honest, it had worked for them previously so perhaps they thought they might as well take the chance?

Ralizah

Even as a massive Buffy and Angel fan, I have to say, I'm glad Joss Whedon is finally being exposed. I've suspected for a while that this white, liberal, male feminist ally was actually another wolf-in-sheep's-clothing.

It's interesting to see someone being canceled for reasons almost completely unrelated to perversion or politics.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I’ve had my suspicions for a while, mostly due to the way female stars of his shows have been treated. It’s interesting that despite all the good that Buffy did, the set really was that toxic. I think you could tell Whedon wasn’t as involved with Angel though, with how much more at ease Charisma Carpenter looked and how much more she got to do.

Ralizah

@nessisonett

https://www.thewrap.com/joss-whedon-feminist-hypocrite-infide...

This article from his ex-wife certainly pointed toward the truth about the man.

Fifteen years later, when he was done with our marriage and finally ready to tell the truth, he wrote me, “When I was running ‘Buffy,’ I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth. Suddenly I am a powerful producer and the world is laid out at my feet and I can’t touch it.”

lmao what a creep.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

mookysam

@Ralizah It's weird because there were long rumours about other co-stars (especially Emma Caulfield), and it's been known for years that Charisma Carpenter was basically sacked for being pregnant, and yet the industry simply didn't give a toss. I'll always love Buffy and Angel, but I'm also glad that Joss Whedon has finally been exposed for what he is. Some of the details Charisma gave are genuinely shocking, and it's encouraging that many of her co-stars have backed her up. It's sadly often seems to be the case that these "allies" turn out to be using their credentials as cover for their own abusive behaviour, or as tools to gain fame and glory.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Thrillho

@nessisonett I like the local newspaper slant with The Daily Record headline of “Support for Celtic fan Buffy actress Charisma Carpenter at centre of abuse claims”.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho Cordelia was already my favourite Buffy character but I had no idea she was a Celtic fan😂😂

@Ralizah Way I see it, no matter how hard Whedon tried to position himself as a feminist icon, if he was really this abusive then he’s not a feminist. It’s less indicative of ‘feminists can be bad too’ and more a case of ‘man who says he’s a feminist turns out to not be one’. Like anybody can say they’re a nice person but if their actions prove otherwise then they clearly aren’t.

Black_Swordsman

@Thrillho Have you been watching the second test match? What a walloping!

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Haven't heard from you in a while m'man. Everything ok? How are you and the family? What've you been listening to? @Thrillho and I have been watching the cricket, are you into any sports?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

HallowMoonshadow

Thought I'd move this to the chat thread seeing as we're going further and further away from latest purchases with this @Ralizah.

Ralizah wrote:

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy So, when Ys VIII was ported to PS4, there were extra dungeons added to the sections where you play as Dana. These can get quite a bit larger, and, at times, more puzzle-y, than the dungeons in the main game. I think they're all actually different sections of one gigantic dungeon, but you access the different floors at different points in the game, so whatever.

Anyway, the Switch version maintains a mostly consistent 30-ish fps framerate through the majority of the game, but it slowed to a crawl during a couple of Dana's added dungeons.

I'm cool with a lower framerate if it's reasonable, like it appears to be with Persona 5 Strikers on Switch (it seems to stick to 30 fps pretty religiously). Even sharp framerate drops aren't the end of the world when they happen and are over with quickly. But entire dungeons turning into slideshows is... too much for me.

It's possible this element has been patched since then. I hope it was.

The other PS4 vers. added stuff was fine, though. No issues with suppression battles, for example, which were added to the PS4 version as well.

I know it isn't your intention Ralizah but you're doing an awful good job in persuading me to play Ys VIII sooner rather then later as that extra stuff does sound rather interesting and I appreciate all the information! I really shouldn't play another 70hr adventure so soon after Code Vein and Yakuza 0 (Which I'm nearing the end of... I think?)

A shame that Ys VIII didn't run all that well on switch though. Hopefully it was just teething problems in working with the switch.

Ralizah wrote:

I liked NieR: Automata a lot, but yeah, the non-main endings to that game were absolutely a waste of time. The Bad Endings in Corpse Party games are part of the spooky fun: it's interesting to see the worst case scenario for the various situations the large-ish cast finds itself embroiled in.

Cool to hear about BlazBlue's joke endings. I'm not much for fighting games, but I might look those up!

Blood Drive isn't worth pursuing the platinum trophy for, but I don't regret doing so. For all of its issues, I still really love the Corpse Party series. If the PS4 version of the original has a platinum trophy, I'll probably end up getting it on that platform as well (and physically on Switch for collection purposes, if possible).

The story in the Blazblue games was pretty deep for a fighting game if a bit overly complicated as it involved stuff like multiple timelines, time travel, alternate future selves etc. Wasn't as easy to pick up as Persona 4 arena but I recall them having the easy combo thing arc system fighting games usually have? I'm not very skilled at fighting games myself but there is something about them I like.

Going off my really fuzzy memory I think one of the joke endings revolved around Ragna The Bloodedge (Yeah... Bit of a silly name) dying and becoming a ghost. Except... he's afraid of ghosts so he couldn't even look at himself without shrieking like a little girl and some of the other cast members were ghosts as well with him. I think they mutinied against him (they were on a boat... for some reason) and they traded him for an especially rare tuna or something? It was bizzare.

There was another ending that I remember a bit more clearly where pretty much every woman in Blazblue fell in love with Ragna (Even a robot) thanks to some special glasses and wacky hijinx ensued. Very over the top.

Ralizah wrote:

"Epic" is one word for it, I suppose. I'm surprised the forum didn't choke on that novella of a review like it usually does with my longer posts.

Sounds like you've been busy. Your place of employment taking all the necessary precautions to keep you safe?

Is it longer then your 30 act epic that you wrote for Fire Emblem Three houses?

They would be if I was actually going into work. I only went in like two days after the winter break before we went back into lockdown over here and this time around I wasn't called in so I've actually been off the past month.

Seeing as we've had the time, and we already had most the supplies we just hadn't had the time/were too exhausted to use them last year, me and my partner have basically redecorated the whole house the past few weeks 😅

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman Hey I apologize, man. I put my phone down for the weekend...I do that sometimes. I’m a pretty big hockey fan but I like most all sports. With that said, I have not seen enough cricket to even understand how it’s played. When I lived in Vancouver, I used to walk by some cricket pitches in Stanley park that were fairly heavily used, but that’s about as much exposure as I’ve had. Hope you had a good weekend!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Loosely speaking, it's a competition of runs and wickets, each team tries to score as many runs as they can when each has had a go at batting (their innings) without their batsmen being taken out - every time a batsman is taken out, it counts as a wicket, the team with the most number of runs after both teams have had two 'goes' or innings each wins the match. When 10 wickets have been taken, that's the end of an innings and all the batsmen are out.

RR529

Finally decided to replace the old Wi-Fi router we've been using since 2009/10 (it only has one band, on the 2.4 GHz frequency). Speeds are decent enough with it on the main floor (other than the occasional streaming video quality dips on certain devices), but I practically can't stream anything in HD upstairs (and the Switch can't even connect to the internet up there), so I figured I'd buy something newer.

Bought one of those eero mesh router systems, which are supposedly really easy to set up. Should arrive sometime this week.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic